Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floor stain splashed onto painted white baseboard molding

Posted by Mom23Es (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 19:33

Our floors were stained last night, and this morning when I peeked in the windows to see how they turned out, I noticed floor stain all over the lower inch or two of our molding. Is this a common occurrence? Obviously somehow it will get fixed, but how? Will paint cover stain? Or will the stain bleed through? I really don't want a quick fix now that will look terrible down the road. Do they need to redo all of our base molding?

BTW- I love how the floors turned out! It was a bit scary after the first coat of stain looked orange, but the second darker stain seems to have fixed it. Can't wait to see them with the seal coat on. :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floor stain splashed onto painted white baseboard molding

You can relax; paint will cover stain on baseboard or any other painted surface. Moreover, your builder will more than likely install a shoe mold on top of the floor that fits up against the base board about 3/4" after the floors are completely finished. At least that portion of the splashed up base will be covered. A practiced painter will be able to touch up the base that remains. That said, the floor finishers should not have leaked stain up an inch or two. Any thing more than 1/16"is unacceptable to me.

o
RE: Floor stain splashed onto painted white baseboard molding

Thanks ohbldr. That makes me feel better. The painters have done a great job so far so I'm sure it will be fine. The stain guy has been terrible. He's a joke. :-/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here