Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgizo

So proud of my doggy door

Kelly
10 years ago

This forum was super helpful during the build process. We've moved in and are working on the last few interior details. I may be crazy, but I just love the way our doggy door turned out. We didn't have one in our rental and it felt like I was jumping up every 15 min to let someone out. I'm so happy with it I wanted to share with you.

Comments (13)

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

I LOVE IT!!! The 1/2 is so clever! Thanks for sharing!!!

• bpath
    10 years ago

Looks like you're ready for the neighborhood pups to trick-or-treat :) Very cute!

• Jules
    10 years ago

Adorable! What state are you in? Wondering regarding climate.

• mommytoty
    10 years ago

So cute, love it!! I've been wanting to do something similar, but we live near undeveloped land/reserve, so I get concerned about other animals coming in (rodents, raccoons). Does that happen or am I being paranoid??

• Kelly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone!
    The 1/2 was DH's idea so he gets the credit.
    I am in the Dallas area and this fall is really nice.
    Mommytoty, we had the same concerns. Google Solo Pet Doors. A little magnet goes on your pet's collars so it only opens for your pet. You can adjust the sensitivity, both how close your pet has to get to the door and how long it stays open. Also, it is a pulley system. Some others are motorized and can come down on your pet and do harm. If this comes down it's just the weight of the plexiglass door, so not much. We had one in our old home for 4 yrs without any problems. I highly recommend it. The only downside is that they are pricey. In our last home I had it in the wall in the closet in the bonus room. An untraditional place, but it was nice that it was out of the way and I could close the closet door and totally have it hidden. We downsized so no bonus room in the new house. If you decide to get one think about all the different places it would work for your lifestyle.

• mommytoty
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info! Will definitely look into Solo Pet Doors!!!

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

Love :)
    I need to see the bigger picture though, I'd like to incorporate one into our garage, but I'm just not sure where....

• mommytoty
    10 years ago

Do you have a picture of what this looks like from the inside that you can post? The only place I can think of putting one in our house is in the rec room, but it would be quite visible, so wondering how much space it takes and what it looks like. Thanks!

• katmu
    10 years ago

That is so cute, and would be super convenient.

Probably not an option for my climate here in Minnesota though.

• Kelly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They have multiple sizes to choose from. The dog door part on mine is 10x12, which I think works for up to a 50lb dog. I'll have to do mult posts bc I can't get more than one pic to upload at a time. This is the outside view.

• Kelly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is inside my laundry room. The mini ramp is bc I have senior dogs with bad backs. You normally wouldn't need it.

• Kelly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of it in action. ;)

• mommytoty
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pics, kgizo!! I wish I had a set up like yours so I could put it in the laundry or even a closet. I'll have to keep thinking and maybe get a bit creative!!