Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nepool

3 Car Courtyard Garage?

nepool
10 years ago

Hello,

We are just closing on a lot now and have been scouring plans. We plan to use an architect but are trying to get ideas on what our priorities are. We are first struggling with weather we should get a 3 car or a 2 car garage + parking pad. We have 3 cars- so need space to put 3 cars. However, we prefer the look of a courtyard style, and love how guests go right up to the front door with that style (see sample in link). If we go with courtyard 2 car garage plus parking pad- then I think the parked car will be sitting outside our window..any way to avoid this?).

Do you think a 3 car courtyard garage may be too overbearing on a 2500 sq. ft. single story home (plus walkout basement)? If so, are there any tricks to getting guests to use the front door with a side load garage (they never do at my current house).

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Courtyard Style Driveway

Comments (22)

• worthy
    10 years ago

If you're like most people, the garage will fill up with stuff and you'll be lucky to get one car in, if any. (I had a three-car garage and barely fit in a micro-car.) So I'd go for three cars.

If your lot is large enough, consider a tandem for at least one spot. There was an interesting thread at GW from someone who had a two level garage. The lot was on a slope and the bottom level was accessed at the back one floor down.

As for guests, don't let them in the side door. (I can be blunt.)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

" If so, are there any tricks to getting guests to use the front door with a side load garage?"

Obscure the door between the garage and the house and highlight the front door. The side door could be behind a gated wall that was clearly not an entry, or essentially through the inside of the garage.

• Jules
    10 years ago

What will your lot dimensions and constraints be? In what region of the country do you live?

We had side load garages on our last two houses, which we prefer. Ideally, this type of garage sits back a bit on the side of the house while the sidewalk to the front door is prominent and inviting for guests to use. A circular driveway is a bonus. Another bonus is not having a side door so guests aren't confused as to which door to use. Our guests always used the front door -- never an issue.

I do also like courtyard style. We're currently building a 2700sf on main level house on a 100' waterfront lot, which doesn't allow for a side load, so we decided on a 26x40 3-car courtyard garage. Nearly all the waterfront homes in this area have the L-shaped house / courtyard garage configuration. The garages are rather large, but they still look nice and fit the landscape. One of the homes has a two-story garage like the one worthy mentioned; it also fits the landscape and of course adds a ton of storage and parking space.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

A three car garage sticking way out in front will look out of proportion. If you want it to look smaller, consider moving it back. Also, if you're looking for storage, you can get it less expensively by building an outbuilding.

Looking at the interior, this house has some nice parts, but it is lacking flow. Specifically, upon entering through the most common garage entry, you're forced to walk through the dining room to get anywhere except the kitchen. Also, from the master bedroom, you'll have to carry your laundry through the dining room.

• nepool
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Mrs. Pete. I was actually only using that one as an example of a what a courtyard garage looks like, wasn't really interested in that plan. I agree, the plan is lacking...I really would like a layout that had a large dining area in the Great Room, adjacent to the kitchen, without the kitchen being entirely open to that space. Most single story plans in the 2500 sq ft. range have formal dining 'rooms' in the front of the house, which I don't care for. But I also don't want a full Kitchen/Dining/Family Room setup (all open) because its too loud when DH is watching TV. I'd want the kitchen partially obstructed from there.

Regarding the courtyard driveway, it can only be set back so far, because we have to be able to pull in all 3 cars. We'd be OK with a 2 car garage and a parking pad, but with the courtyard style, I haven't seen any 'discreet' parking areas. Cars appear to be parked right in front of the home's window.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

We have an old lake house property that we want to tear down and build a retirement home on someday. The lot is 100 ft wide and with setbacks the house can only be 76 ft wide.

To be honest, This is not my favorite style home, but like juju this will be our only option on a somewhat narrow lot. We can not put up a shed so we really feel like we will need a 3 car garage. I have lots of pictures that I have saved and if it's done well, I think it can look very nice.

Juju..your house is very nice.

• nepool
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red,

This one looks lovely! The garage is set back a little from the house, which opens up the house a bit more. The only thing I don't like is how the left and right side of the house jet out into the driveway- its making the entrance that much more recessed. If you've got more houzz pics you'd like to share, I'd love to see them!

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

I think that the courtyard is a good solution if you need to have your garage in front of your house and need to store 3 cars. If you were to take the basic plan you posted and turn it into a sideload garage, guests would either use your side door (which would be right there) or walk all the way around your 3 car garage. If the weather is good, then walking around is no big deal, but if it's dark and cold and snowy (which is likely a big chunk of the year where I live) it seems less friendly than I would like.

Something to think about with a courtyard layout is how you're going to clear snow. You wouldn't want to pile snow in front of the house, and it can't be in front of the garage or the entrance to driveway, so that means it all needs to go on the lawn opposite the garage. Is that going to work with your planned method of clearing (I wouldn't want to shovel that set up)? Will there be enough space to pile up the amount of snow you're likely to get?

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Here's another

• User
    10 years ago

I think that a courtyard plan looks awkward on a small city lot where most of the front yard IS that courtyard. It looks appropriate to a more country setting where the house is well off of the street and the garage and courtyard are hidden by the landscape to be "discovered" as you come up the drive. Which defeats the major purpose of most urban "garage in the front yard" plans to keep the driveway to a minimum. In an urban setting, nothing beats a side load garage set back from the main home for minimizing it's appearance to the main house and keeping the drive as small as possible. It's usually only 15-20 foot longer to do a side load than a front load anyway, so it's not like you're talking a 100 foot difference in driveways here.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Greendesigns--the courtyard design is not my favorite either. But, isn't it the best solution to take advantage of a narrow lot and not "waste" valuable sq footage on the main body of the house on garage space? The front esthetics may suffer (slightly) but the house improves.

I have noticed that many (most) waterfront properties are courtyard style homes. Is it because the land is so valuable that the lots are narrow?

Just asking.

• Jules
    10 years ago

red_lover, I agree with you that the solution is to make the best out of the lot constraints; typically the only two options on waterfront lots are front load and courtyard garages. Of those two, I prefer courtyard.

It sounds like nepool has more space to work with and could go with a side entry. I posted a photo of a side entry that sits farther back which is nice, but you'd have to eliminate or move the side door so guests would use the front door.

I really do like the look of a courtyard garage. Some people like MrsPete think it looks out of proportion, but I don't agree. I think it looks nice even when a narrow lot isn't a factor.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

nepool - I know you said you don't like the "wings" on the first picture red_lover posted, but consider that it allows some landscaping to be in front of the house and in between the driveway it ends up looking much more pleasant walking up to the front door than say the second one posted.

I think the other nice part about the courtyard style is play area to ride bikes etc. around without going out into the street.

• nepool
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree with everyone's thoughts. We do have a bit of space, we are building in 15 year old suburban neighborhood (we bought last lot) of 2800-3500 sq ft homes. However, my neighbors on each side both have side load garages where the driveways are up against the shrubs to my property. So we'll be "flanked" by two driveways.

The significant pros to courtyard are: 1) guests will always use front door & front entrance is clear 2) Driveway shorter 3) nice area for kids to play 4) Smaller front yard (less grass). The cons are mostly that the garage is much more prominent than it should be- so cars, basketball hoops, etc, are all "right there".

I think a 2 car courtyard would be less prominent, but then we have the issue of the third car. Has anyone seen any pics where a car is parked in a pad on a courtyard style, but softened by landscaping?

We still may do side load, 3 car... but I'm struggling with the front door. People never use my front door here, and it bothers me.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

"We still may do side load, 3 car... but I'm struggling with the front door. People never use my front door here, and it bothers me."

It bothers me too, but if you have a side load garage, people will come to the side. So IMO the solution is to create a side entry that is appealing. If you can't beat em....

Building in the spring here. My present house has a side entry that enters directly into my laundry room, near my side entry garage. I absolutely detest it. Trying to get an architect hired now and #1 requirement is a "friends entry" near the side entry garage.

No matter how appealing the front of your home is, if you have a side entry garage and a side door...guests will come to the side.

If you have a 2 car side garage (or 3 car) it is much easier to create outdoor parking space for extra vehicles vs courtyard. Just my opinion of course.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Can you have a side-loading garage AND a front area guest parking? You already said you'd like less grass, so what if your driveway splits and one area goes towards the front door and the other to the garage entrance?

Guests can see they're supposed to go to the front and you can have the basketball hoop on the side/garage area. Added benefit....guests aren't blocking your driveway if a family member arrives late or needs to leave early. {{gwi:1507923}}From Kitchen plans

I like this one, with a larger drive in front.... {{gwi:1507924}}From Kitchen plans

• nepool
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lavender,
    That is also a nice option... I've seen several of those with a circular driveway. It just ends up being a lot of driveway to keep up with (snow).

I think the 'if you can't beat them, join them' is a good option too. Maybe I can work a side door that leads into a pleasant side of the home. Have to t think about that one.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Courtyard garages haven't yet appeared in my region but I frickin' love them in the community we go to in Florida. I think they look awesome on even small lots and can make the house look super welcoming with the front door as the focal point as it should be. If they're landscaped appropriately and look "housey" on the side they're an amazing small lot alternative to front load, and I love the spacious driveway that serves dual purpose as a front walkway. I also just really like courtyards in general.

Here's a nice 2.5 one...

Much better (IMO) than...

• Jules
    10 years ago

I agree with you 100%, robo. I think they look really nice regardless of the lot constraints.

• nepool
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found a picture of one that I think works, and where the garage does not look obnoxiously large. I'm not doing Florida style, but think this "T-Shape" driveway works- with a turn spot/parking pad hidden by shrubs or even a post & fence like they have (synchronized on the other side).

Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 car Courtyard garage with T-Shaped Driveway

This post was edited by nepool on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 22:45

• nepool
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does the small bay of a 2.5 garage fit a normal sedan?