Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Construction ( crack in the foundation)

Posted by meg1981 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 19:13

My boyfriend and I are building a home. While inspecting the home, we noticed a crack in the outside foundation (on the side). I'm just scared about it. The builder said it is normal, but I'm not sure. They still haven't completed the part where they wrap the foundation again with concrete to make it smooth (there are still pipes and wires hanging out of some parts of the foundation), but I was wondering if this is normal at this stage. Is that normal for the foundation of a new construction to have a crack on the side of it although they haven't wrapped it in concrete to smooth it? I'm new at home building and I am not sure what to think. I know cracks in the foundation is a sign of trouble, so should I be alarmed. Again there are still rough spots in the foundation where pipes and wires are hanging out ( home won't be completed until middle of next month). What do they do to prepare it, if it's normal? What to do or think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Construction ( crack in the foundation)

I would have an inspector look at it right away before they cover it up. Do not want to scare you, but that does not look like a normal shrinkage crack. Especially at the corner. Is there a basement? From the picture it looks like a conrete slab on grade. Can you see the crack thru on the other side of wall or around the corner?
Do not quite understand when you say they wrap foundation with conrete again. That's probably just cosmatic, for side walk or curb.

o

It's a settlement crack, which may or may not cause further problems depending on whether this is a full foundation or any of the three varieties of slab foundation, the full extent of the crack and whether it continues to grow in size. (See link.)

I assume the OP was referring to parging, which is cosmetic in this situation.

Definitely document the crack and inform the builder in writing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspectapedia on Foundation Cracks

o

A diagonal crack like this is definitely one from differential settlement. As Worth say, notify the contractor in writing (as a future record), and request he excavate the soil in the vicinity of the crack and determine: 1) the depth and extent of the crack; 2) the condition of the soil beneath the foundation in this area to see if it has been properly backfilled and compacted.

Continue to monitor this crack, with tape and or permanent weatherproof marks to see if it is moving and/or increasing in width.

Good luck with your project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here