Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

Concrete problem and I am more than unhappy!

phoggie
10 years ago

Since my contractors did not do concete work, I obtained the same person who did my foundation, porches, and garage floor and they are okay...BUT my driveway is a mess! I left the house for a couple days while they poured and when I got home, it is cracked terribly!!!

I documented, photographed, obtained the invoice from the cement company, obtained opinions from 4 other cement contractors and even talked to an attorney. The guy who did the drive has never even come
down to discuss this with me....only "hot" text messages. I know I will
probably end up in court, but I think he thinks I am just an old woman who will just pay the bill.....wrong!

The delivery invoice said that he called for 25# of water to be added to 16 yards...which the cement supervisor said was "excessive" and it churned in the truck for 57 minutes before delivery.

It seems to be the "opinions" of others that either he did not compress the base or the mud got too hot and he added too much water.

The Attorney suggested that I write a "Letter of Demand" stating what and when I want done. Kicker....this guy is the grandson of my sister-in-law!

Just venting....any other thoughts or suggestions to help me? THANKS!

Comments (7)

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Very sorry to hear of your situation. Best course of action is to stay calm and cool (as possible) and follow your attorney's advice. Write the letter and send it registered mail, return receipt requested.

What do you want done? From the sound of it, removal is about all I'd trust him to do. I'd not pay him and have someone else do the new drive.

Good luck with your project.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Bummer, but you're pursuing the problem in a calm, rational manner, and I'm sure you'll have resolution in the end. Just don't do what they want: Don't give up.

• saftgeek
    10 years ago

Phoggie,

I hate to hear your having any issues. I know you were so pleased with other parts of your recent build. I'm curious if he put any rebar into the driveway? I recently poured a floor in my shop and struggled with that decision. In the end, I put #5 rod on a 2' grid. I thought why risk it. I may end up with some cracking in the future but the rod will help hold it all in place.

Again, sorry for your troubles. I hope you find some way out of this without having your relationship with your sister-in-law suffering.

Saftgeek-

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I would suggest that perhaps your attorney write the letter.

A few well written words from a good attorney will likely have more impact than a letter written by you.

I'm sorry this has taken a little joy out of your new home experience.

• CamG
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear this is happening.

As an attorney, let me say that none of us can second guess your lawyer's advice, although it is a bit surprising he wants you to write a demand letter. I suppose the advantage is that if your letter did the trick, you wouldn't have to pay attorney fees. I'm assuming your state does not allow you to recover attorney fees in a case like this? Might be a good question for your lawyer.

Another thought: if this is going to wind up in litigation, your comments on this thread and anywhere else on social media will likely be discoverable, that is, the other side could request copies and potentially use them against you in court. I tell my clients to maintain "radio silence" with the world regarding their cases except with me. You may think nothing you are saying makes a difference, but we have had cases seriously compromised by social media our client never thought would be a problem.

Good luck in getting this matter resolved.

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

If this says 25 gallons of water added to 16 cubic yards of concrete I do not think that anyone can say that is excessive without knowing the consistency of the mix as delivered. In other words only if the delivered mix was already at or close to maximum water content than it would be excessive.

You would assume that the delivered mix was very precise but in my experience that is not true.

That being said concrete placers tend to over water it so that it is easier to spread.

I suppose it could also be a possibility that someone drove on it before it was fully cured.

Anyway you should not expect excessive cracks in a new driveway and so something was obviously wrong.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Angie's List, the Better Business Bureau, The State Attorney General's Office...all will take your complaint. Let him know that if he does NOT either make this right or reimburse you...you will be filing with all these agencies. This will lower his business rating and he will lose business. Maybe that will make him reconsider...