Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is caulking an acceptable filler between windows and brick here?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 18:49

We have spaces around all the windows. Marvin requires it and I think it looks awful. The builder said caulking is what they put into this space. Do you all agree, or should we have some sort of wood trim applied?

Uploaded with Snapbucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is caulking an acceptable filler between windows and brick he

Silicone sealant is usually used to seal the joint to avoid water and wind infiltration. The tough decision is the color. I think I would try to match the brick in order to avoid a noticeably irregular outside edge.

o

a backer rod and caulk is typical in that situation. We will usually either match the mortar or the brick, your call. In this situation I would probably match the mortar since the color is close to the frame color and it would look like a continuation of the frame. Your call though.

If caulked nice, it will look just fine and you will never notice it.

o

ditto. gaps over 1/4" need backer rod to fill
in, caulk over backer rod.

you need something to expand & contract
that will adjust to movement of
window, wood & brick.

a filler piece of wood is just covering
up the gap, but if you wan't to do that..
make sure caulking is done before hole
cover in installed.

best of luck.

o

the window frame is white, but you are suggesting white might look bad, Renovator? Do they make caulking the color of this brick? thanks!

o

we tpyically spec Sonneborn NP-1 caulk for exterior applications. they have a bunch of color options that can be had. You should be able to get one very close to the brick color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here