Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoe_string

Help, Am I Dreaming

shoe_string
9 years ago

Hey Everbody

I've been lurking this site while searching for owner builder info -- August, 2013 and hooked ever since. The knowledge and experience you share is unmatched. Luckily, we didn't purchase floor plans years ago as would've been in a world of trouble.

A while back, decided to return home, the countryside of 'up state' NC. Am planning to build first and forever home on already owned property -- estimating a 3-5 yr project. It will be 'pay as I go'.

The below Choice 1 has been my favorite over the past few years and Choice 2 more recently. Choice #1 is much too large and cannot afford to build as is. Choice # 2 is much too small, though more affordable. #2 would be perfect if there was a second level and about 2ksqs more. So I would like your help in finding cost cutting ways for Choice #1 -- I like everything except the roof and garage. I wonder is there a way to simplify the roof?

I have a list of 25 items which I think may cut building cost, but am I dreaming in thinking I can contract out the foundation, framing and roofing for $150-200k (material included)?? I am or locals are planning to do most of the interior work.

All comments, suggestions, etc. are greatly appreciated. Thank you and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Here are links that maybe helpful:
C#1. Http://saterdesign.com/product/fiddlers-creek/

C#2. Http://saterdesign.com/product/sondrio/

PS: not sure if links are clickable, If not, please let me know how. Thanks

Comments (7)

• peeve
    9 years ago

Here is the link to the Fiddlers Creek plan:

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiddlers Creek

• peeve
    9 years ago

And for Sondrio:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sondrio

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

There is no way to simplify the roof without getting rid of the turrets that are probably why you like it.

Why is THIS your dream home? What about the plan speaks to you?

What's the family size and lifestyle?

• zippity1
    9 years ago

sondrio's rooms seem somewhat small i've lived in may homes under 2000 square feet but this one feels pretty tight to me

• mrspete
    9 years ago

First, these homes both seem to have a "Florida feel" to me. They don't feel like North Carolina -- and this is coming from a North Carolinian.

More to the point . . . let's call this the Three Bears House. You have one house you like, but it's too big. You have another house you like, but it's too small. You need option #3. Changing either one of these to be "just right" would be more expensive than searching out something that's already right.

The first house is almost 4000 sf. The second is just over 2000 sf, and you say you'd want an upstairs, bringing it to around 4000 sf as well. That's a huge house. Given that budget is a big consideration, is that what you really need? How many people are going to live in this house?

No, I don't think you can build these for the budget you propose -- even given the idea of building over 3-5 years, even with the idea of completing the interior yourself. You'd be looking at something in the neighborhood of $50-60 per sf, which just won't happen for this type of house -- not with the size and all the angles and windows and turrets.

My suggestion: List what you really like about these plans . . . and then find a plan (or have one drawn specially for you) . . . but a plan that incorporates what you really love into a more realistic size.

• shoe_string
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All

Thank you Peeve for posting my clickable links and thanks to all for responding.

Lazygardens - Initially I was thinking Victorian. Then one day walking through a home center, I spotted a beautiful house in a tropical setting on a magazine cover. Immediately changed my mind. That was 8 yrs ago. Yes, it is the turret and the Mediterranean flare that speaks to me.

Mrs Pete didn't know you are from North Carolina - always enjoy your comments. Yes you are correct, my choices are tropical and hope NC doesn't have any style restrictions. Understand some building and zoning codes have changed in the past few years.

It's funny, I too was thinking about the three bears as I typed. My hope is to make my first choice the 'just right' house by having the designer modify the plan to an affordable size and style. First, on my list is a separate living/dining room and a family room - hard to find. I will continue to look but time is passing fast.

There will be two adults living in the house. I will retire before the build is completed. My Beau will continue to work a few more years. The build will be 20 miles from a 'hotel express' is why I want enough space to accommodate visiting family and friends.

Okoko - I know what you mean about small spaces as my present home is small which is why Im looking to expand.

Enjoy

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Two thoughts:

1. I can understand building what you love, even if it's not a popular choice . . . but if you ever end up needing to sell (and none of us can say with certainty that we won't need to sell at some point), having something "different" can be tough.

2. 4000K is a large house for two people -- even with lots of visitors. My initial thought: I'd consider a small build just right for you two . . . and add a guest cottage for your guests. This would allow you to start with your "main house", then move on to your guest cottage -- which fits in nicely with your 3-5 year plan. And it means that you wouldn't have to heat/cool the guest house when you aren't playing host.