Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

How do I organize a construction notebook?

subk3
15 years ago

I'm hoping to break ground on a custom house by the end of the year. I'm trying to figure out how to keep all the info organized and portable so I can access it on site. I assume the best way to do it is with a notebook or expandable file but I'm wondering what the categories should be--organized by room or job type or what?

How have all of you kept up with the truckloads of information involved in building your own house?

Comments (6)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

It's generally organized by the classes of work. Starts with things that are point on the map related: site work, foundation, driveway, services in from street, then the building phases and subs that are more material related, framing, windows, cornice and outside trim, windows, roofing, finish masonry, siding, decks, porches, patios, exterior paint, finish grading, gutters and downspouts, (outdoor stuff like swimming pools, cabanas andoutdoor kitchens, if ya got 'em)
    Then on to inside stuff, all mechanicals, Plumbing, wiring, smart home, home theater, HVAC, ducting for water heater, range vent, insulation, wall finishes (dyrwall, plaster), Millwork: doors, trim, mantels, staircases, skylights; kitchens and baths (too much to list), Special finishes- terrazzo, tile, polished and stained concrete, faux stone, columns, architraves, custom built-ins.
    Finishes: hardwood, carpet, paint, faux finishes, builder's hardware, fixtures of all kinds- final electrical and plumbing, mostly.
    Other areas: backup power supplies, solar electricity, sump pumps, attic ventilation. Probably thousands of things for others to add and improve upon. This is off the top of my head.
    Casey

• jenanla
    15 years ago

My DH always laminates material lists and (a spare copy) of blue prints.

• worthy
    15 years ago

I have about 35 file folders per house separated by trade and supplier. These stay in my office.

All I bring on site every day in the truck is a loose leaf binder with some details, Building Code, approved construction plans, city phone books and my trade and contacts business cards in a binder. Though I don't, it's probably a good idea to keep a log book too.

And I never forget the universal building tool: a chequebook.

• whidbey
    15 years ago

worthy, that made me giggle. :)

I have a humongo expanding 5" three ring binder with 8 subject dividers. They are divided as such:

*PHASES, BUDGET, JOB COST
    *DIRTWORK, FOUNDATION, CONCRETE
    *SEPTIC, POWER, WATER
    *FRAMING, WINDOWS, DOORS
    *PLUMBING, HEATING, ELECTRICAL
    *SIDING, DRYWALL, PAINT
    *CABINETS, COUNTERTOPS, FLOORING
    *APPLIANCES, FINISH ITEMS, INTERIOT TRIM

I also punched holes in five folders and added those too. We are guilding this ourselves and pay all the bills directly, so your needs might differ. My folders are labeled:

*CUT SHEETS
    *BANK DRAWS (PAID)
    *BILLS TO BE PAID
    *PLANS & SPECS
    *MISCELLANEOUS

I have blank paper behind each tab for all of my notes. I have found my book to be VERY helpful throughout the process. I carry it everywhere (even my DH can use it!).

Hope this helps!

• loomis17
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for posting this question. I am new to the forum. I have a pile of folders with no idea what the best way to organize them is. We are breaking ground in early Nov. so the answers were really helpful.

• whidbey
    15 years ago

Oh my! I just reread my post and see I was typing way too fast. Pardon my typos! I meant INTERIOR (not interiot) trim and that we are BUILDING (not guilding) this ourselves. We need spell check on here. Geez! :)