Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

Is it weird to use a "patio" door for the entry?

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi,
We are getting ready to choose our entry door. The foyer is very modest and only has one window at the end of the little hall, so we are going to go full view on the door. The type of door I keep envisioning is the Marvin contemporary door, which they market as a patio door. Is that an appropriate choice for the entry? Why or why not?
Thanks!

Comments (24)

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Depends on the door I guess. Patio doors are usually sliding or double, which in that case, would be "ugh:.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a link

Here is a link that might be useful: Marvin contemporary door

• She Abe
    9 years ago

Not at all. We have several examples in our town (all contemporary/moderns). We were going to go with a full lite "patio" door, but decided against for privacy sake.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Not uncommon at all in So Cal.
    However, they are usually on homes with the entry set well back into a courtyard, and often with an outer gate type entry. Depending on your architecture and layout it can be just fine, otherwise it may be too exposed.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

It's an issue for privacy as others have said. But no one says that you must use clear glass. Frosted safety glass won't be cheap, but it can help with the privacy issue if the entry doesn't have a solid wall behind it blocking the view through the home. Even better than standard frosted would be kiwi green frosted safety glass, or turquoise blue frosted safety glass. It would give you the opportunity for both color, and light. Might be a wierd tinted light, but it would be kinda cool at the same time.

• jdez
    9 years ago

I like hollysprings' suggestion. That would be super cool.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Excellent point about the sill. It would be odd to step over the track, now that you mention it.

What about a French door without grids? Maybe with a narrower frame and opening back against another glass door...a French door hinged in the middle.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Millworkman, that is a great point that I wouldn't have thought of. I wonder if the door is available with a low profile sill like the sliders?

Anyone aware of a full view entry door with narrow stiles and rails like that?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Some are, some are not Kiwi, just be careful as that high sill is really what helps keep the water out. I personally would not use the low profile sill without a significant overhang or porch.

• LE
    9 years ago

I don't recall any issues with our sill, but we used a Marvin door with clear glass. I think it's the same as the one that goes to the covered patio. Another one goes directly outside with just an eave overhang.

We do have a large covered entry and even though the house is in the boondocks, a person standing at the door can't really see into the house unless they can see around corners. Before it was installed, I had the same questions you do, but now that it's in, I like it a lot! The entry is very bright during the day. (In a city house exposed to the street, I would have used a frosted glass.)

• eibren
    9 years ago

I like the sliding door we have to our sunroom, which faces the prevailing wind in the same way that our front door does.

I have noticed that when I open the sliding door, as much cold air does not blow in in the wintertime as it does into the front door when it is opened. I had thought this was due to the different door configurations, but on the other hand there is a slight wall outcropping perpendicular to the front door on the left side, which could possibly be redirecting wind into the house...?

In any case, I really like glass sliding doors, as they waste much less space and provide plenty of sunshine for plants. There does seem to be less security, though, as the average ones don't have very strong locks and cannot be opened with a key. I don't know if they sell really secure ones or not.

• nchome143
    9 years ago

This is really interesting. We used double patio doors for our entry and I am just now realizing that our door doesn't have a flat sill like a "normal" entry door. Too funny... after all of our angst over windows and doors. Thanks, millworkman for the information!

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Eep! HMI hm96 looks perfect.
    Whaddya think?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Very nice, not my color but very nice. And a very good door!

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I was going to get it in black :-)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Good, lol.....

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

A lot of homes in my neighborhood have wrought iron doors with glass center sections like your "patio door". They look fantastic, but as someone mentioned they don't provide much privacy.

All the homes have front courtyards though, and most have a courtyard gate, so you can't see the front door from the street. That mitigates the privacy concern, but I'd still feel exposed enough to go with a frosted or tinted glass, personally.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am leaning towards the frosted glass, though only the foyer is visible from the door. It's more psychologically driven than anything. It's nice to be able to "prepare" to answer the door.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

The Marvin Patio Door is a slider.

The Marvin Contemporary Door is new and is their Ultimate French swinging door with narrower (4 3/4") stiles and rails, a shorter bottom rail, and square interior glazing beads. It is ironic that this simpler design with more glass is commonly found in France.

It can have a beige or bronze sill with an optional oak sill liner. The door is also available in a copper cladding and it can have an integral shade that can be raised from the bottom or lowered from the top.

The sill is about 1 1/4" above the interior finish flooring but it is possible to reduce it with careful detailing of the subfloor and framing.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 13:36

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Renovator8 thank you for that! Is the sill cover you show a Marvin product or something we would add later? I need to order by tomorrow, and I still don't feel I understand the the sill situation. The Kolbe Vistaluxe is truly an entry door, but it is much more expensive than the Marvin. Plus, we have Marvin and Intergrity windows and sliders already. If we can make the Marvin work, I'd like to, but I don't want to be tripping into the front door for the next 30 years!

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kolbe wins- thanks guys!

• neonweb US 5b
    9 years ago

I also wanted a patio door for the main entry! But I also wanted to put a keypad entry for family or repairmen to have access to the house. That was not possible on the marvin patio doors because of the 3 point locking system. My marvin rep was able to get me a matching door from another manufacturer with a 3/4 light and use marvin trim so it will all go together. Fyi I learned that patio doors are typically shorter than entry doors. Good to know if you need to move furniture through it!

• neonweb US 5b
    9 years ago

I also wanted a patio door for the main entry! But I also wanted to put a keypad entry for family or repairmen to have access to the house. That was not possible on the marvin patio doors because of the 3 point locking system. My marvin rep was able to get me a matching door from another manufacturer with a 3/4 light and use marvin trim so it will all go together. Fyi I learned that patio doors are typically shorter than entry doors. Good to know if you need to move furniture through it!