Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

Apply for permit if separating a den out of a living room?

janesylvia
10 years ago

The living room is big. I'd like to have a contractor add a wall to separate out a computer room. A venting skylight and closet are also planned to be added. I went to permit office in the bay area, and was told skylight cannot be accessed at emergency so the room cannot be considered as a bedroom.

There is no code requirement for a bedroom, but there is requirement for habitable rooms. It says "All habitable rooms shall have an aggregate glazing area of not less than 8% of the floor area of such rooms. Natural ventilation shall be through windows, doors, louvers or other approved openings to the outdoor air. Such opening shall be provided with ready access or shall otherwise be readily controllable by the building occupant. The minimum openable area to the outdoors shall be 4% of the floor area being ventilated."

Would the velux skylight (46.5x46.5, 12% of room floor area for a room of 120 sq ft) meet the venting requirement (4%)? The lady at the permit office said I can make it as a den but not as a bedroom since the skylight cannot be readily accessible at emergency. A house in our neighborhood sold in mid last year separated a room with skylight and was shown on zillow and redfin as 4 bedrooms instead of 3 bedrooms. Their remodel was done last year. Do I need to apply permit for a den? Would adding a den increase the house value if I sell it soon?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated.

Comments (3)