Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaveswave

Build in "off" season in zone 4?

leaveswave
9 years ago

I've heard numerous *opinions* about building a house in late autumn through winter. Looking for something a little more factual to help sort through the anecdotes and "common sense".

Wondering if anyone living in zone 4 or colder has built a house then? Or, if you're an architect, builder, or really knowledgeable, why would you advise against or say it was okay?

Again, I have a ton of opinions, so if you really need to spout off another one I can't stop you, but I'm looking for some detailed and somewhat verifiable reasons addressing soundness of resulting construction. Thank you.

Comments (9)

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

Zone 3/4 here. Our home was started in October, finished in June. No major issues that I know of. Felt bad for the framers during some of the really cold days.

• njbuilding143
    9 years ago

We plan on starting soon here in NJ.. Builder told us we wouldn't have any problems and they just have to keep better eye on the weather.. I think the major thing is having foundation open and getting rain/snow..

• Brian_Knight
    9 years ago

Your question is almost entirely opinion based. Zone 4 in my opinion allows most building tasks to happen all year long. Its naturally better to be dried in before serious winter weather but that doesnt mean you cant dig and pour concrete in warm spells. Typically, below freezing substrates will require waiting or special treatment. Many products also have a required installation temp range.

Passive solar homes offer enormous benefits to construction crews working in them through the winter. Once dried in, they are usually warm and bright with no temp heat or perm power. They also tend to dry out faster speeding the acclimation of wood and other finishes.

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the helpful comments and experiences. Makes sense to get the foundation in before freezing; I understand there are heating mats or something they can use, but it sounds like a fair bit of extra work and expense. Getting the building closed in before the worst of winter weather is certainly got be easier all around. I think some of the concerns come from situations where maybe installation of various things pushed past the appropriate temp range.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I live in zone 4 and cold weather means it takes longer for cement to dry (according to contractors I've talked to during the process). Also, doors have a tendency to swell with snow/rain and don't always work as well, when warm weather returns.

I would NOT start working on a house in the winter. In our area, we get too much snow and then tons of rain (and mud) in early spring. If you were "closed up" as in roof on, shingles done, windows and doors in...all you needed was heat on, then that would be different.

Finish work in bad weather has not been a problem (at least not around here) but again...it's up to you and your area might be different than mine :)

• kzim_gw
    9 years ago

We are in Zone 4 and plan to start excavation in the next two weeks. I think we are as late as I want to be. The long range forecast for our area is saying lots of snow and cold. A friend started their house last year in October. The week they poured the basement, the temp went below freezing and that was the trend of their build, lots of weather set backs. They moved in this May. 8 months for 2100 sq ft.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    9 years ago

I built over the winter. It definitely slows things down, and harder to work, but certainly isnt impossible. I am also in zone 6. Just have to deal with things like this...like what I showed up to the morning after the first snow. ...

• worthy
    9 years ago

North American Hygrothermal Zones

Gardening zones are not building or hygrothermal zones.

I've built a number of homes in our cold zone. Spring is the best start date from the point of view of weather, but terrible for labour--everybody's busy. Fall is best, as long as you're closed-in by freeze-up. However, I've also had December starts. I have poured as low as -20 F.

Working with concrete and masonry are the only problem areas. The ground under the pour must be kept warm. And you then have to use heat to allow poured concrete to cure properly. Heated aggregate is the usual requirement, though various chemicals can be used too. And once poured, forms have to be protected and footings have to be covered to prevent frost heaved foundations. Similarly, brick and stone work must rely on heating and chemicals; tenting brickwork allows masonry work to proceed regardless of temperature. Once the foundation is in, framing in the winter is often easier than in warmer seasons. At least in the area I work in. It's easier to stay warm than get cool under a summer sun.

An experienced builder in your community should not be fazed by a winter build. The extra costs should be balanced against the holding costs of a later start and the possibility of labour shortages.

International Energy Conservation Code Climate Zone Map 2012

Here is a link that might be useful: Masonry Work in Cold Weather

This post was edited by worthy on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 18:29

• Renee0829
    9 years ago

We're in Zone 4 and our builder said he was going to start excavating by the end of next week. Our hope is that the roof will be on before the 1st snow. If this winter is like the past 2 the biggest snows hit in February so we should be okay.