Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snuffycuts99

electric bills during construction

snuffycuts99
9 years ago

Just wondering what you averaged during construction? Last month was $16. This month jumped up to $233. They said to check the meter to make sure it wasn't read incorrectly. I will do that tomorrow and sure hope that was the case. We're not running the furnace and no air conditioning. No lights yet. My GC said that they've just been using electricity to run saws. Would saws use that much electricity? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• LE
    9 years ago

We had a really bad month when the drywall guys were using some mega-furnace to dry out the mud. Thank goodness that didn't last long! That was a + $300 month, but our electricity is relatively cheap here.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

They might be running an air compressor all day.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

Something is def wrong there. Is it possible someone next door is stealing your elect?

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

We have had temp. power through all stages without much power consumption. We have had air compressers, saws etc. but no heaters/furnace for drywall. Ours is about $17/month and most of that is the minimum bill to have service. Something is amiss I think. Hopefully its the misread meter. Keep us posted.

• worthy
    9 years ago

Prices vary. How many kwH are used? Our bills breakdown usage into three periods each day, which can pinpoint what is being used. Anything similar?

• jdez
    9 years ago

Ours has an average of $18 a month. We just got a/c and haven't gotten a bill yet but I'm thinking it will be a couple hundred.

• zippity1
    9 years ago

the last few weeks, because of humidity here in south texas, the ac was running to get the wooden doors, floors and cabinets shape, the last bill, for august/september was about 230 dollars
    we were here at times when the exterior doors were standing wide open with no one going in and out just workers paying no attention to electricity usage
    the normal bill was between 15 snf 25 dollars Jan-July

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

my electric bill skyrockets in the summer, when I rent my house out to vacationers. It is unbelievable. In June, it's $25. In July, it's @ $200. And I just had AC put in, so I expect it to really go up from now on in the summer. Got home second week in Sept. after a family rented it for the weekend for a wedding. AC was running: windows wide open, and had been all weekend. They were as I had left them.

I cannot fathom why it is so hard for renters to do the right thing.

And where I live, Cape Cod, electricity is the second highest in the country, next to Hawaii. Good to have a hideous dangerous nuclear power plant right in our backyard AND be paying the second highest rate for electricity!

Makes me nuts.

• snuffycuts99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So we started our temp electric in July, obviously the meter started at 0. At the beginning of September, the meter read 31. So 31 kwh for that bill. The current bill claims an actual reading at 2445. So basically it's saying that we used nearly 100 times more electricity in September than August. We're at the job site a lot. They really aren't using much. Just some saws.

I *think* that we're pretty sure it was a mistaken meter reading. I didn't check but my GC did and he said it's a digital meter. He said it was flashing two sets of numbers back and forth. One was 2.042 KwH and the other was 000043. It certainly seems to me that we went from the previous reading of 31 to 43. And that would be a nice 10-15 dollar monthly bill. But I'm confused as to what the 2.042 KwH means? I'll be calling the electric company first thing in the morning.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

These days in allot of cases, they don't 'actually' read the meter at all. They just drive by and pick up the signal that records what's on the meter.

• snuffycuts99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just to update...the electric company conceded that the meter must have been misread. They changed the bill from $233 to $17. That's a little better :) I've got enough things to spend money on right now...like my 65 tons of fill dirt coming today. I feel like I got a great deal on it by the way...just over $8 a ton delivered! I'll probably need another 100 ton by the time we're finished. We've got to raise the grade quite a bit.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

dreamer-that's more like it. :D Glad to see they figured it out. Dirt oh dirt. Bleh. We had our fair share and then some. Ching ching.