Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

Can you recess a refrigerator into an exterior wall?

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi,
We would like to buy a standard depth refrigerator but recess it into the wall a few inches so it isn't so obtrusive. The wall, however is an exterior wall. The wall is constructed w/ 2 by 6 studs. Is there a way to do this without losing insulation? We are in the cold midwest and in addition to not wanting to lose R-value, I don't want to risk damaging the fridge.
I'm wondering if we could remove the studs behind the refrigerator, put in a header, and then line the sheathing with a layer or two of aerogel blanket. Then we could cover that with more drywall or plywood depending on what would be required. That would gain me 4 inches to recess the refrigerator. What do you think, would it work?
thanks!

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 19:03

Comments (4)

• User
    9 years ago

No, not an exterior wall. You would need to do a bumpout in the foundation and framing. Better to use increased depth cabinetry, or pull it forward with blocking.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Technically, you could. But you'd lose all your insulation in the cavity behind the fridge. I'd rather have a warm house than a flush fridge.

And the cost of the bump out would probably be more than a counter depth fridge.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can't bump out because it's the front of the house. So a couple layers of the ultra thin aerogel insulation wouldn't suffice?

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

kiwi-can you pull your cabinets forward? That requires a larger countertop and then also deeper uppers if you have any there. That is what we did. Pulled base forward 6" and made uppers 6" deeper. It looks more flush and not such a behemoth. I am glad we did it but yes it does cost more to have modified uppers and a bit more for a larger counter but it was the short side of the "L" so not terrible.