Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracik_gw

termite coverage

tracik
10 years ago

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. We had a house built and moved in about 8 months. It is a new part of a newish subdivision. Right now there is only one house next to us and it is in the process of being built.

I just got a bill for termite coverage for the next year. $200 for the year.

So, I got to doing some research online to see if this really is even worth it.

I called termite company (a local place) and asked to be sent a contract because I don't even know what is covered. I told her I'm trying to determine if its something I want to continue with. She said sure no problem. So, I asked her, do we get the place resprayed at the 5 year mark and do we have to pay for it? She said yes it will need to be resprayed and yes there is a fee but she can't tell me what that is. The technician at that time will tell me.

So, I'm going to pay $1000 a year and every 5 years have to pay a undetermined amount to respray.

At our other also new house, we paid it for the 5 years we lived there and then sold the house. When he would come and inspect there wasn't much inspection going on. Would walk around the house then come in to collect the check.

So, about 5 minutes after I hang up with the girl at the office she calls back and says... oh, your contract is $150 a year not $200 there was a mistake. So, I'm thinking...oh how convenient since I just told her I may not continue the service.

What is the opinion on this?

Comments (9)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Do you NEED termite coverage?
    I have never had it; I have never needed it.

• tracik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not right now no. But, I do live in Louisiana. But, also I have never heard anyone that I know say anything having termites.

• niteshadepromises
    10 years ago

I wouldn't waste the money personally, be vigilant and have a look about for signs of infestation regularly yourself. Much cheaper then call if the professionals when needed!

• War_Eagle
    10 years ago

In the South I would definitely have termite coverage. I assume that with my contract if damage is done due to termites then the company would be responsible for any repairs? I guess I need to check my contract.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Another vote for not passing on termite coverage in the south. They can do a lot of damage before you ever see them.

I've had experience with relatives that didn't have with cash purchases and a new build. One had termite damage (now has coverage) and another had a bond and found termite damage during a bathroom remodel. The other is selling the new build house and had to buy a termite contract it in order for the new buyers to get a mortgage.

Personally, I would never pay cash for a house that didn't have coverage. $200 is a lot less than to get rid of them and correct the damage.

• jennybc
    10 years ago

We looked into termite treatment but it seemed that it was treatment of the ground around your house. I had previously treated an old farmhouse with Boracare for beetles. It is a termite prevention method that treats wood directly and can be sprayed on concrete to prevent associated tunnels/boring. We didn't want the ground treated because of our children and them potentially getting into it. We are in an area that is hit or miss with preventative treatment of termites. Boracare if I remember correctly was tested in Louisiana. It also kills me to pay a high price for someone to do virtually nothing.

Jen

• allison0704
    10 years ago

They treat the ground under the slab before it is poured. In our state (Alabama) almost everyone uses a bait station system. Nothing is sprayed around the house/around the ground.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

We're building in the South, and our builder strongly recommended treating as the foundation blocks are laid, for termites. When we asked if termites were a problem here he replied that they are to those who don't treat.
    Because our house is built on a raised foundation it should be easy to treat every 5 years, without any worries about kids or pets getting into the sprayed areas.

• tracik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was the ground that was treated.

I think we are going to pass on the insurance and just pay to have it retreated every 5 years.

thanks for replies