Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

Review of elevations and window placements

Zoe52
10 years ago

We are in process of reviewing our elevations of our plan
We have a vaulted ceiling that goes up two stories in our den with a fireplace on the north side of the room. At this point I am assuming, but not sure that the peak of the vault is on the fireplace wall. (I need to find out which way he is vaulting the room).

On our plan we are to review our architect threw two double hung windows up beside the fireplace which would be considered as being on the second story. There is no way I would ever open them as they are too high and cleaning them would be a nightmare anyway. In addition, I am not liking this look at all. The wall faces north and I am wondering if we should just forego the windows completely or if we should go with some flanking fixed panels on either side of the fireplace.

The first floor will have built-ins all along the wall on either side of the fireplace with a tv positioned to the right side of the fireplace. (I don't like tvs over the fireplace)

I am wondering if anyone else can make suggestions for windows in there,if at all. The room is open to the kitchen and an eat in area with plenty of windows and doors along the back of the house (west side). There will also be a screened porch off the den with two large french doors that we can open to access the screen porch area.

I am trying to envision how this will look with just some fixed decorative windows that flank either side of the chimney, but wondering if we should not bother with putting any windows on that wall at all.

There are stairs on the east side of the room that have a landing on the north side of the home before they turn and go up. There will be a window there. So there will be extra light from this.

Does anyone have pictures they can show of fixed windows in a vaulted 2 story room flanking a fireplace?? Somehow I cannot envision how it will look. I think the double hungs porportion-wise are just not going to look good at all.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (2)