Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nostalgicfarm

Allison0704- Dark wood floors with wood trim

nostalgicfarm
10 years ago

Calling Allison0704 and anyone else with some inspiration photos! I have been debating stained or painted trim for my future build. Generally when I see stained woodwork, it seems like the wood floors are medium to light. I really have my heart set on darker wood floors. I don't want super dark ebony type stained trim, but it seems like all my inspiration photos are dark floors with white trim. From your recent kitchen post, I saw what appeared to be darker wood floors with wood trim...I would love to hear more about the floors. Also, your home link said you have 5 or so pets...are you floors easy to clean? I have a husband and 3 kids, they are the equivalent of a litter of new kittens! LOL.

Comments (6)

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

I have dark stained trim/cabinets with darker wood floors and it looks great. We used a lighter paint color on the wall in the main rooms and we have lots of windows but it isn't dark at all. I don't have a picture but I will be out there tomorrow and will try to take one.

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That would be awesome! I think my other problem is I fall in love with the 3rd out of 4 colors on a color card. My he now has a fairly dark trim, fairly dark wall colors, but wood floors are a medium oak color. Just trying to pull a lot of my details together :)

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Hi nostalgicfarm. Our floors are #2 grade oak. I wanted a lot of knots, but the dang installers cut most of them out! They are stained Dark Walnut (I think) and finished with tung oil. The trim is pine stained Sherwin Williams Walnut Wainscot.

We currently have five inside pets; three cats and two dogs (54lbs and 10lbs). The floors have held up great. No scratches. Easy to clean.

Most of the house is painted a warm white (looks much brighter in photographs) so it balances the wood doors, flooring, windows and beams.

My youngest daughter has Anderson Hickory Forge in Ringing Anvil. She has four dogs, two cats, one 2yo. It is gorgeous and since it is literally hand scraped (not machine) there's no pattern. It has held up better than I imagined. The few places I've seen have been in the grooves (vacuum wheels?), and she just goes over with a felt tip staining pin, followed by paper towel to wipe up any extra.

Here's a link to her MBR redo so you can see hers.

Here is a link that might be useful: MBR Redo

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

I used a quarter sawn oak floor and pine trim and stained oak on stairs

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

Sorry I'm late with this. Our floors are Anderson Chestnill Hill in Winchester. Stain is SW Mission oak with a little extra red. Wall color is SW anew gray. We just love it! Hope this helps and sorry it's so messy.

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

That should say Chestnut Hill. :)