Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzprince

Help! Heart set on Marvin windows, Architect says Plygem Mira

suzprince
12 years ago

Please help me! I have had my heart set on Marvin Ultimate windows (current quote $$24,000) but know that I may have to settle on Marvin Integrity (Quote ($15,000) for budget issues.

Now our Architect keeps on and on that we can save so much more by going with Plygem Mira windows - and that they will give us the same performance as the Marvin's. He also says they are aluminium clad which is better than the fiberglass in the Integrity (at a lower price).

I really need your expert help here .. is he as wrong as I think he is?? Or am I??

Thanks for any help/advice!

Suzanne

Comments (16)

• LE
    12 years ago

The fiberglass is better for energy performance, unless I'm missing something...

• reinan
    12 years ago

Lori is right -- the thermal/energy performance of fiberglass is better than aluminum. In addition, fiberglass is virtually unaffected by changes in temperature -- it doesn't expand or contract. Aluminum (and vinyl) will expand and contract, which can lead to failure in the seals over time.

Also, Integrity windows are almost maintenance free. They won't corrode or get dull like aluminum. I replaced a window in my house with Integrity earlier this year so I'm very familiar with the product. I still have some older aluminum windows in my house and I can't wait to replace them -- they are cold in the winter and the finish has gotten cloudy and pitted over time.

Does your architect have any financial incentive to get the Plygem windows?

• reinan
    12 years ago

P.S. I have a business relationship with Integrity, but I bought their product on my own dime (no discounts or special treatment). I can honestly say that it's a great product and my own experience with it as a homeowner has been excellent.

• suzprince
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Reinan - it is always good to hear from some-one who has used the product!!

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    12 years ago

The Integrity is definately what I would pick. Fiberglass is a better option then a wood clad aluminum window. The u values are not very good on the Plygem windows (barely hitting Energy Star). I didnt spend much time looking, but I could not find the other ratings easily, which typically means they are also nothing to brag about. I would question your architect as to the reasons he/she feels aluminum it better.
    If I were buying a US window, I would pick the Integrity even if money was not a driving force.

• suzprince
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Renovator8 - much appreciated!

Someone has now suggested we look at Inline fiberglass windows - any thoughts on how they compare with Integrity?

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    12 years ago

Inline is a Canadian company (if that matters to you) who uses a full heavy fiberglass frame that is insulated. (fiberglass inside and out). I believe they veneer the interior if you want a real wood look. Inline offers a much larger selection of glass packages if you are wanting to tune the windows for maximum energy efficiency. They have better u values and better infiltration numbers. All and all, they will be a more efficient window, but will most likely cost somewhere between the Marvin Premiums and Integrity, depending on your glass packages. They have triple pane options that only add around $50-90/ window.
    Inline is one I would definately consider, as well as Fibertec (both Canadian). Thermotech is also great, but will be priced like the Marvins.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Inline is an all-fiberglass replacement window. It should not be compared with Marvin's Integrity fiberglass clad wood window.

It might be comparable to Marvin's Integrity all-ultrex window but I suspect it is more like the Marvin Infinity all-ultrex replacement window.

It might also be comparable to an Andersen all-composite (Fibrex) replacement window.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Inline would be comparable to Integrity from Marvin but with higher performance values in air and water infiltration and higher pricing. Inline windows are manufactured for new construction no, reason as far as I know they could not be used for replacement windows but they are not marketed as a replacement window.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    12 years ago

Fibrex is not comparable as it is not fiberglass. IMO, fibrex is below any of the options on the table. I have messed with the windows in person and they definitely look like the cheap price you pay for them.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

I have not been able to find an Inline window detail that shows a nailing flange and I have seen them advertized online as replacement windows.

• cascadian76
    12 years ago

Thanks, all. I'm also thinking about windows.

It looks like PlyGem has a much better warranty. Lifetime or, if the house is sold, 20 years for materials and 5 years for labor (it looks like Marvin's is just 10 years). To my inexperienced eyes, it looks like PlyGem has the best warranty I've seen. Would you trust it?

I wonder if it's Hyundai-type phenomenon, where a company uses a great warranty to try to compensate for a bad reputation. Hyundais are pretty reliable these days, but their quality rankings really improved _after_ they started the 100,000-mile warranty standard.

Even if PlyGem is fine, everything I've read says that fiberglass is best. Other things being equal, is there a reason to prefer aluminum?

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Pretty much all the Inline I have been quoting recently have been commercial set in masonry so the quotes have had masonry strap anchors. I will have to look tomorrow and or ask my contact at the factory.

• cascadian76
    12 years ago

I just noticed that the lifetime warranty is only on PlyGem products from certain western plants, and does not appear to apply to Mira. Reading the Mira warranty, I'm much less impressed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mira warranty

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    12 years ago

Reno- trust me, they can come with nailing flanges. They can come with a whole slew of other options including various depths of brick ledges with nailing flanges in them, some quite deep to give you "innie" windows if you prefer. A nice feature if you have thick walls, such as ICF or double stud.