Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
szmanthey

How Long Should Framing Take?

szmanthey
10 years ago

We are building a 2100 square foot ranch. My husband is the GC. (Please no criticism on that subject. Although he is not a builder he works in the commercial building and trades industry so we felt comfortable taking this on.)

Our framer bid the job stating it would be complete in 30 days. We are now on day 35 and there is still a lot to be done. The roof trusses are on but he still needs to put up most of the plywood sheeting, wrap the house and install the windows and exterior doors. I'm starting to get concerned that we won't have the house enclosed by the time cold weather hits. We've had a few rainy days but not enough to put him this far behind schedule. He didn't work Thursday or Friday because it was muddy from storms the night before. Needless to say, I am getting really frustrated. I now have to reschedule the roofer, siding and mason.

This framer was recommended by a friend because he does quality work. Of course we want quality but this is going to start costing us more if he doesn't get done soon.

How long should framing take?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Comments (14)

• worthy
    10 years ago

If the framer put in writing a firm 30-day completion date, there should have been contingency and/or penalty clauses.
    Given good weather, that's doable for four full-time framers.

But knowing how difficult it is for framing contractors to even keep crews together to finish one house, I'm not shocked at all by yours missing his deadline.

Here's the good part: once the framing is complete, it's easier to keep something going on.

This post was edited by worthy on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 16:40

• szmanthey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Worthy.

I suspect he is having problems keeping a crew.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

It depends on the complexity of the design. 30 days would be on the short side though.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, it takes as long as it takes, especially if your are concerned about a quality job. Of course, supervision by the general contractor is a must (that's you, I think), to ensure proper work is being done.

One could rush the work in order to meet some arbitrary schedule, but that has a set of risks associated with it.

This is why experienced general contractors are so important. They know what to sweat and what not to.

You're learning on the job. If it was my house, and the quality of the work was good, I'd just work with my framer to keep going as expedisously as possible. If the quality of the work is below the standard of the trade, however, that's another matter entirely.

Good luck on your project.

• szmanthey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Virgil. Good advice.

• saftgeek
    10 years ago

I'm sure your build is more complicated but our contractor is also our builder. It took him a while to get his other project framed up and we sat with foundation walls for a couple weeks... He told me when he brought his 3 man crew in they would get it done quickly. I wasn't prepared for what they did. They started and finished in less than two weeks. We are building a 2200 sq. ft. rancher. It has five gables and it's all hipped. They stick framed the rafters and framed up the downstairs as well. Windows and doors are all installed less our large windows in the cathedral ceiling of the great room.

I'm pretty impressed with their work ethic and craftsmanship. It's educational and entertaining to see folks who are masters at their craft do what they do. All of the compound angles involved in the rafters was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

Good luck with your build. I hope you can move on to the next phase soon.

Saftgeek-

• HU-453157058
    5 years ago

Sometimes weather plays a factor

or maybe they bit off more then they can chew

as long as a contract is in place they will Finnish

as a framer myself with perfect weather

and a somewhat simple design it should take 3 1/2 - 4 weeks easy for framing windows exterior doors and a couple of ceiling details inside

they are either lazy inexperienced or going through staff changes which can slow process

In any case they are probably stressed as well because I can guarantee they are making no money

Good luck with the rest your project!

• Laurie Schrader
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

In contract, with framer- 30 days is delivery. Does it also list things like "can't get a crew" as reasons to be late? I doubt it- your attorney should have put in penalties- financial/payment- for being late.

Stop guessing (also stop paying) and get not just an answer but a firm completion date. Then hold them to it. If you don't, they simply feel free to work other places.

• Laurie Schrader
    5 years ago

I also wonder whether thinking "friends"/ "friendly community" is a bad way to build. Seems like a great way to get taken advantage of.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

Shouldn't take a more than a week, week and a half with sheeting (weather permitting) for a framing crew of 3-4.

• dan1888
    5 years ago

If the phrase "time is of the essence" is specifically included in the terms of the contract. . . .if not the noted time limit is not critical.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Before this post was dug up by a first time poster the last post on this subject was "October 5, 2013 at 10:41PM", so I would assusme the project to be long since finished

• Laurie Schrader
    5 years ago

So what? These are questions that are, unfortunately, timeless in construction. Nothing wrong with getting any updated advice for the thread, right?

How many times does a person post anew on these forums, only to have people roar at them because there are "numerous" threads here on that subject? Maybe these threads, as reference, should be full of real advice-even opinion- rather than just snark.

I see that you chose to contribute the latter. Why bother?