Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfatt16

Need advice on heating situation....

MFatt16
9 years ago

Ok, I have posted this before but our job is held up by lack of permanent power and the inability to climatize our trim wood and wood for the floors. This is fouling with the scheduling as a whole and potentially will put us months behind. I think one of my GCs might be losing his mind as well, his wife has been in a medical coma for 12 days and he "slept" through work. It is imperative we finish before the sh#@# hits the fan any more than it already has.

QUESTION: Hubs wants to hook up propane heaters to keep the place warm enough to climatize the wood. The trim guys have suggested this idea. How expensive will this be? guesses? Also, how stupid is it to leave them unattended for 3 weeks of nights and weekends? I am thinking not worth it but I am the minority vote :)

Comments (9)

• anitamacey
    9 years ago

Heating with propane heaters will add a lot of humidity to the already damp and cold air in your house. That's why dry wallers don't use propane heaters. Better with electric heaters but it will probably be pricey unless electric rates where you are happen to be dirt cheap.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

And since you do not have permanent power, electric heaters will not be much use. As mentioned propane heaters will drop a boatload of moisture in and in my opinion not do anything to make the conditions better (especially 3 weeks). I also would NOT leave them unattended even for a couple of hours let alone overnight.

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

No to propane heaters for reasons mentioned above. We used two propane heaters for our first winter living in our house that was been re-built/added on to. Due to the moisture, several studs needed replacing (they looked like hockey sticks). We did roast marshmallows on the heaters on Xmas day which the kids liked -LOL.

Carol

• MFatt16
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. Sounds like we are stuck waiting.

• Mistman
    9 years ago

What about a diesel heater? We used a couple of them when we needed to dry out our house to put the wood in a couple years ago. You'd need a generator as the ignition and blower are electric.

• NWHobart
    9 years ago

We ran extension cords from our temp power poll. We had our electrician put a pig tail on our temp power so we could use the beefier "balony cords" and ran 3 temp heaters off of those and 3 dehumidifiers of of heavy gauged extension cords 24 hours a day for at least 2 months. I work for a commercial GC so was able to borrow all of that stuff but you can certainly rent it as well. Best of luck. I know delays can be frustrating.

This link below is the ones we borrorwed for heat

Here is a link that might be useful: Elec Temp Heaters

• MFatt16
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So there was enough power in the temp set up to do that? Thank you so much NWHobart. I called this morning and had a persuasive conversation with Potelco. They may be able to squeeze us in next Thursday!!! If not, I may do the rental set up you suggested. I didn't think the temp power could run them but that seems to not be the case.

• NWHobart
    9 years ago

Yep, we absolutely had enough power to run all of that, and more. Hope Potelco show up for you.

• MFatt16
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!