Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katmu_gw

Tree Cover

katmu
10 years ago

My lot is .62 of an acre, and a walkout. The back part of the lot behind where the house is has a fair amount of tree cover (about the back 1/4 of the lot). I was thinking about trying to plant a few more smaller trees towards the front of the tree line, but after going out and walking through the area today I'm wondering what to do. Do I leave it more natural? Or remove the smaller brush and leave just the larger trees?

In the pic I was standing about where the LR/DR area will be.

Comments (5)

• katmu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This pic is from the back of the lot looking towards where the house will be.

• LawPaw
    10 years ago

I'm a big fan of trees, especially Aspen.

You may find that if and when you clear out the brush, more Aspen will start popping up everywhere where the brush was standing. They'll grow fairly fast because they are part of the larger organism. Won't be a problem to control if you leave enough room to mow.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

By smaller trees, what do you mean? Aspens (or birch, I can't tell) are fairly small trees. Do you want a specimen tree, are you looking for more shade, something fast growing?

When we bought our house in a new development, there were no trees at ll - we planted trees before we planted grass. Maples, ash, basswood, spruce, birch, hackberry, even an oak. My kids will never climb the oak tree, but hopefully someone will!

I suggest you want until construction is complete before you plant any trees. New trees need lots and lots of water, which you won't be able to provide right away.

• katmu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was hoping for some more specimen type trees near the front of the tree line. The trees start about 30' from where the back of the house will end, but walking through the trees today made me think I will need to wait due to the amount of brush.

If I stand in one spot towards the left of the lot (where the garage will be) I can see the roof of a house behind, so I may want an evergreen to shield that.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Wait until construction is done and start living in the house ... then figure out what's left of the trees, what views need blocking and what views could be enhanced.

Mark off the rear of the lot and DO NOT let equipment or materials there or the trees will die from root damage and soil compaction.

You have a good natural area for some paths leading to a bench in a small clearing for quiet sitting, some added natives for year-round interest and a low-maintenance attractive landscape.