Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris401_gw

Front Entry Glass Door - Obscure glass or just a film?

chris401
10 years ago

Hi all,

I love the feedback here, and you all are great. Here's our recent debate:

We are building a modern-style house. The front entry door is going to be a large, all-glass door. Although the entry way provides a bit of buffer, it is a very open floor plan, so if you are standing at the door, you can see directly into the family room. People at the street are less of an issue.

Based on privacy, we are considering going with partially frosted glass (on the right side of the door, viewed from exterior) to minimize the view. But that would be permanent. So we are also considering using a film instead, but are worried about how long that will last and whether it has the same quality.

What are your thoughts? Should we obscure? If so, frost the glass or film?

Thanks in advance

This post was edited by chris401 on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 23:24

Comments (13)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Film is inexpensive, easy to apply, lots of choices and changeable. Glass is glass.

• bpath
    10 years ago

What is wrong with "permanent" frosted glass?

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Smart film?

(If you do look at this product please give us the scoop! Sounds intriguing but I'm not at the point of looking at it yet.)

Here is a link that might be useful: wi-fi enabled smart film

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Film as in one that you apply yourself after the side window is installed? If so, you need to check to see applying a film will void the warranty on the window.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Why don't ;you discuss with your architect? There's lots of options for a modern house.

If it was my house I'd probably work out a geometrical design, harmonious with the rest of the house, and sandblast it on the glass door. Don't forget to work your hardware (pivot plates, pull and lock set) into the design.

Good luck with your project.

• chris401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. The reason I am hesitant to go the permanent route was it is so permanent. And if we don't like how it turned out, that's an expensive mistake. The reason I am hesitant on film is because I'm not sure how it holds up from a quality perspective.

Oaktown: Wow, that's cool film. I wonder if it works? Very interesting.

Virgil: We have tried pinging the architect on it. He hasn't responded to our emails. I wouldn't mind him being more engaged on the issue, but maybe he thinks it is too small an issue to get involved? I imagine if he did weigh in, he would say to just leave it all plain glass (no obscure). I will try to give him a call and ask about it. I get the impression that he thinks we over-think things.

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

I think you look into some interesting glass options other than frosted glass. Glasscraft and Rogue Valley have samples of glass on their website. I think the film might look tacky, it may peel from heat etc...
    We have the same set up of an open floor plan. We are doing solid beveled glass and we feel like our family room is far enough away from the street for people to look in.
    NINI - gorgeous doors! I so wanted the seedy glass but we are in FL and we would need to sandwich the seedy between sheets of solid plain glass due to the wind code in our area.
    We often feel like we over-think things too....you are not alone....building is a big deal and takes alot of time, thought and energy.
    Pam

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Do any of the films come in a wide enough width for your door? The ones I've used were only 18 or 24 inches wide, iirc. Seams would be very difficult to make invisible.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I used film for smaller windows and I'm VERY happy with it - no peeling or bubbling at all. 2 years in.

You could apply it in a pattern like this:
    {{gwi:1506991}}

That said for a large expanse on a front door, and if the budget allowed, I'd be VERY tempted to pick one of the many beautiful glass inserts out there. They make some lovely glass!

• lolauren
    10 years ago

I would do something permanent. After-the-fact film would be REALLY difficult to install in such a large size, if it even comes in that size.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Robotropolis' "frosted rectangles" is my favorite, in fact a house in my neighborhood has it. Or how about some fantastic art glass:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

This place carries window film in lots of widths, up to 60" wide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solyx window films

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz