Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dormers: Before and After

Posted by teach2007 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 07 at 15:36

After many hours of worrying about these dormers, I realized they were not only too far apart, but also too small. I am very happy with the way they turned out. Here are the Before and After pictures...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dormers: Before and After

Yes, your gut was right! I like the second pic much better. On to the next nerve wracking decision.....right there with ya:-)

Amy

o

Had you posted an elevation rendering previously? Your house looks like one that I commented on before. One of the comments was that the right dormer was way too close to the valley. The second picture looks good, but those dormers are really boxy...are you planning to add shutters or pilasters to the sides? You have a lot of room to fill there so that they come together. Typically a dormer window will not be as wide/tall as the first floor windows, so really think about what you want it to look like when it's finished. I personally like oversized dormers, but they can become very awkward if not designed well. They appear to be centered around the front door...is that the case? If they are, I'd really play that up with columns at the inside edge of each dormer...it'll help compensate for the lack of symmetry with the first floor windows.

Good luck! Trust me, you'll have many more crazy days ahead of you! :)

o

Oh, yes! Much, much better in the after pic. Your gut feeling was definitely right, but I can see how it was a tough decision to make...Good job.

o

I too like the second choice better. Was your concern primarily about the exterior look or about how the dormers worked for the interior of the house, assuming that the dormers provide windows for rooms? Personally, my priority would be what works best for the interior.

o

I like the after picture much better. Glad you went with your gut feelings!

o

You teach middle school...building this house should be like a trip to Disneyland! ;D

I like the second picture too. Look forward to seeing more progress.

o

Thanks for sharing your story...it is a good lesson for us all to stand up for what we really feel is right and best for our homes. I agree with your gut-the second picture is definately the winner!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here