Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfatt16

Clearing and wood left over

MFatt16
10 years ago

We are clearing 9 trees that are quite large and are trying to decide how to handle it. We will cut it into fire wood as we are able but a lot of it will be roots and branches etc. Our GC says we can haul it out, bury it (not recommended) or we can chip it and spread that around. We have acreage but it still seems like a lot of chips. He thinks it would be 4 dump truck load if we don't keep any of it. Any opinions?

Comments (9)

• LOTO
    10 years ago

We built this year on 30 (all wooded) acres and fortunately were able to burn most of the brush and trees we didn't want to save for firewood. We kept about a dozen good sized Oaks and had our excavating guy pile them out of the way and I've been splitting them.
    The saved trees didn't really take up much room and the stumps that didn't burn were hauled away.

• MFatt16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of wood left over! We aren't clearing that much I don't think, we have a few acres but are only clearing about a quarter-half acre. I doubt we will ever use too much fire wood but we have a firepit so maybe we will.

• LOTO
    10 years ago

That picture was taken about 2 weeks ago and all the logs are sawn and split except for 4 big ones on the bottom of the pile. The split pile is HUGE now.
    We had a Heatilator Constitution fireplace installed and I plan on using it a bunch and along with the Geothermal HVAC the electric bills should be pretty low in the winter.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

We keep the larger hickory and had it milled on site to be used for ceilings, yet to be installed, in our family room and kitchen. We sold the larger oak and maples. But the roots and branches mostly went to the Stump Dump. We are lucky that we have one close by.

The trees that we taken out after the initial clearing were left on site in a couple of bramble piles. They have decomposed quite a bit over the last 2 years.

Since you only have 9 trees, I'd look into getting it chipped. Nine trees aren't going to make that many`chips and they would be so useful.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

If you don't want the wood, run a Craigslist ad and sell it or give it away. I'm sure there are folks out there that would be happy to take it off your hands. You might find someone willing to take the trees down for you (and pull out the roots) for free in exchange for the wood.

• saftgeek
    10 years ago

We cut down some huge red oaks and maples when clearing for our house. I cut the tops out, kept the larger limbs for firewood and cut the saw logs out for flooring. Here is a picture of them being hauled out.

After they were cut by a portable band saw they had to be hauled to the mill. They were put in a kiln almost 4 months ago. Still waiting for the call to tell me they are ready. We had a total of 1455 board feet to be milled into hardwood.

I am planning to bury the stumps. I've got 20 acres and a few ditches to put them in.

Good luck.

Saftgeek-

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

When our land was cleared, the tree guy mulched the brush and hauled it away to sell. We got a little discount because we let him have it all.

Since people are showing off woodpiles, here's what we started with:

and here's the woodpile-- all split by my husband with an ax:

• LOTO
    10 years ago

zonje4newby...that is a LOT of wood split by hand!!! In my younger day I split quite a bit by hand but since I turned 60 and more importantly got a Home Depot credit card (for the splitter) no more hand splitting for me.

• MFatt16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I think we will just have it chipped and spread them around the site. Hopefully they will help soak up some water.