Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcclelland_gw

Advantech subfloor

mcclelland
13 years ago

Anyone use Advantech? It has some great claims to fame- I just wonder if it is true. What is the cost premium for it?

Comments (22)

• dyno
    13 years ago

Lots of guys on ContractorTalk use it extensively and it gets great reviews. My framing occurred during winter season and I am very grateful it was used it as it seemed to resist the elements very well during our very wet winter. The enhanced OSB product hasn't caught on as much in Canada but for subflooring I would say it's a worthy upgrade especially in wet conditions.

• sajakh
    13 years ago

How does Advantech compare to Ilevel edge gold subfloors?

• macv
    13 years ago

Advantech doesn't really have an equal yet although other companies do offer edge swell warranties and fancy names.

Here is a link that might be useful: strength test

• mcclelland
    Original Author
    13 years ago

macv...do you feel advantech is worth it's cost premium?

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

That's all my GC said he uses now, so it's in our house.

• manhattan42
    13 years ago

Only advantage that Advatech has versus OSB or Plywood is that it does not need an underlayment when installing some types of finished floorings.

Thats a very poor reason to use it.

You should be looking at the costs to install OSB or Plywood instead.

Not many or any savings with Advantech and few [b]knowledgeable[/b] builders or designers will use it...

• drdugit
    13 years ago

Wow, where are the builders/designers you're talking to, manhattan? I'm a builder from South Central PA, and its all but standard here, used on everything from base level 800sf rentals to $2mm plus homes. I've actually never built a house with anything but advantech. After seeing how wall sheathing swells if one leaves it out without being tarped, I can't imagine the amount of planing that would be necessary with OSB before installing flooring. I've also seen a fair share of plywood delaminate from getting wet just once.

I guess if you're building in a very dry climate it may not be necessary. We have a moderately wet climate, and I've never been able to get a house dryed in without at least one soaking rain. Well worth the price for insurance IMO.

• mcclelland
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Drdugit...what kind of premium is it? 20% over OSB?

• drdugit
    13 years ago

Honestly, I've never priced tongue and groove 3/4 OSB. Advantech is so prevalent here, I've never seen another new build with anything but in a stick built house. Granted, most houses I see are on the higher end. I have seen other types of OSB in modular houses, but they aren't subjected to weather during construction.

We build all of our houses with 3/4" Advantech with 16" OC TJI's and it really feels like an elephant could walk across it.

• dontbuyedgegold
    12 years ago

My frammer wanted to use advantech but my lumber supplier sent edgegold and it got real wet this winter for two months. The edges swelled and my floor is not level but wavy. Factory rep came out and will only pay 300 dollars to fix it and it is up to me to do it. Bad experience and poor warranty. Learn from my mistake and get something else!

• david_cary
    12 years ago

Since we are reviving an old thread. I just talked with my builder today who said premium of $4-$5 a sheet (presumably 4x8). He has never used anything else but apparently most everyone else has shifted to OSB as a cost cutting maneuver in today's market. A house of his accidently got OSB and they had to do a fair amount of work to get it level

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    12 years ago

Advantech (as well as their zip sheathing and roof products) are a premium, but its worth the small upcharge.
    When I was designing my father's large addition the yard gave him the option of osb vs AV. Upchrage was small, but he still wanted to take it. I insisted he used it since we were also building it together. Good thing too, cause that was last year we framed it, and it happened to be one of the wettest summers in years, so it took a while to get the roof on. Floor was rained on dozens and dozens of times. They are finishing the drywalling right now, and the floor is level and looks brand new.

It can be a premium, pricing around is is around $20-23 per sheet. However on a 2000 sqft house, that is only around a $300-400 upgrade. Crazy not to use it. Hubber's Zip sheathing is also a great product, however that is slightly higher premium over typical osb sheathing. but you do get a far superior shell vs osb and tyvek.

• tgull76
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We had a home built, contract says we were getting Advantech, we were told we were getting Advantech, they put down OSB and now they are just wanting to give us the "price difference" of about $400 to 'make it right'. We would not of had them put OSB as sub flooring. Plus all the doors and windows leak. I hope they make it right right! After reading all these posts, I will not settle for anything but them redoing our floor!

• rmverb
    7 years ago

I'm using it on my new house. I wouldn't use anything else.

• worthy
    7 years ago

I've never seen it being used in the Toronto area. Not even carried by the big boxes. I've never used OSB for roofs or flooring.

• Brian 's
    7 years ago

See here

• millworkman
    7 years ago

"Plus all the doors and windows leak."

Honestly that would be my first concern with the Advantech vs OSB as second................

• keywest230
    7 years ago

My builder in Florida uses it. It rains every day this time of year. It's a must-do.

• dutchie26
    7 years ago

I have heard a lot about it, some good and some bad. I think it all depends on the area and personal feelings toward the product. A friend of mines always raves it about it. I don't think it can hurt, just may feel like it was a waste the up charge.

• worthy
    7 years ago

Brian 's

See here.

That's Lowes US. (.com not .ca)

While Advantech shows up on a Google search of RONA, it doesn't show on the actual site. However, Advantech competitors Edge Gold and DryMax do.

• JDS
    7 years ago

Plywood swells when wet but drys back to its original thickness. OSB swells but doesn't completely shrink back. AdvanTech is OSB that has been treated to not swell.

If OSB is selected instead of plywood, it should be AdvanTech or an equal product. If plain OSB was used and did not become damaged by rain you were lucky and no harm was done.

Technically speaking, if installed properly, both products should perform the same.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax