Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickc33

Coffered Ceilings??

NickC33
10 years ago

Hello All,

I posted this is in the remodeling forum but I'm hoping to get some additional responses.

My husband and I are currently having a home built. He was going back and forth about getting coffered ceilings and has finally decided that it's something he wants as well, but it's too late to add them into our plans.

I would like to get them done as soon as we settle so that we won't have to move furniture etc., but am unsure who I would contact to get this done. Should I call a GC, a finishing carpenter...?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• Jules
    10 years ago

Have you discussed this with your contractor yet?

• NickC33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have, but the builder said it's too late for any of those changes at this point. They are about to put in the drywall in 2 weeks.

• worthy
    10 years ago

If this were a true custom build, I'd have no problem doing that for you. However, if your ceilings are less than nine feet, the result may not be pleasing.

If you think this can be done without moving furniture, think again.

• charannthom
    10 years ago

I think what they are saying is they would like to have it done before they move their furniture into their newly built house.

• NickC33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish it were a custom builder, but it's a semi-custom builder. The ceilings are 10ft and charannthom is right..we are looking to do the ceilings after we close, but before we move the furniture in. I am just trying to figure out what kind of professional to call to do it.

This post was edited by NickC33 on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 21:06

• estrella18
    10 years ago

Carpenter, but I would press your builder harder about this... He can fit them in now, he doesn't want to apparently.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I agree that it's not too late at all....we designed and trimmed the doorways and the coffered ceiling in the hallway after the sheetrock went up. I suspect your builder just doesn't want to bother.

A trim carpenter is the guy who would do this....just make sure he's good. A ceiling like that can be made or broken by the quality of the corners and fitting. I always said a good trim carpenter is worth his weight in gold...

• worthy
    10 years ago

A non-production drywaller or good handyman can do the same thing using lightweight steel. I did a more than passable job myself as an experiment once.

This post was edited by worthy on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 10:40

• NickC33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I will try those suggestions.
    Our builder won't let us make any changes after they start the construction. We had to beg to add an extra light pre-wire in the kitchen a few weeks ago.

• nini804
    10 years ago

I just can't believe they wouldn't want to take your money to do this!! It just makes so much more sense to do it before the floors are finished and the walls painted. What a pain...I hope whomever you hire is efficient, good, AND meticulously NEAT!

• NickC33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is going to be a pain and I'm guessing a lot more expensive at this point. I called and requested a few quotes. Hopefully they won't be too bad.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

If the contractor is not jumping at the chance to add a cha-ching$ it could be the skills are not in his toolbox or anyone he works with to make it happen. This should tell you something about him.
    I would not let this person touch it in that case. In order to do a quality job, bracing and nailers need to be added BEFORE drywall. Yes you can just tack onto drywall but...its a bad job.