Return to the Building a Home Forum

o
It's October 2013 How is your build going?

Posted by aries61 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 14:24

September was a busy month for this. Let's see how busy October is going to be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's October 2013 How is your build going?

Excavating complete for now - pretty close to final grade but not finished. Done enough for the subs to do what they need to do.

Rough plumbing inspection passed (yay). Temporary electrical is being set up for the subs. Basement is ready to be poured - hopefully next week. Rain is coming the end of this week which pushes that out a little bit but not bad. Crossing fingers that framing starts next week!

Pam-we are minecrafting quite a bit over here! My son actually just received a minecrafting lego build set as a birthday gift. It's pretty neat really.

o

Autumn...sounds like it is coming along smoothly. Hopefully the rain will stay away...

I have a son who is a Lego nut! He loves to build the big Star Wars ships! They are all over our house! At the new house, I need to have she shelves built in his room!

Ok...posting some eye candy....
Cabinets are in, granite just about completed. Starting to put in plumbing. Wood floors just about complete. Travertine deck is done. Driveway almost done...

Here are some photos!

Pam

o

Master Bathroom

o

My house is very much a mix of old and new...

My boys' bathrooms have subway tile with some edgy tile in between. Here is their shower...faucets match too.

o

Pool bath shower area...

o

Ok...this is the vanity in the powder bath. We wanted something that looked like furniture instead of built in like regular cabinets...I purchased this off the internet and I was surprised by the quality...not perfect, but all wood. I had to assemble it. Looks great in this room. It will be wallpapered in a few weeks...

o

We passed the foundation inspection and are done with foundation work yesterday. Finally had some progress after 2 weeks of no work in September. Hopefully we will make more progress this month.

Rough plumbing and Mechanical work is supposed to begin today. Framing will start after that.

Spottythecat, You kitchen is looking great. I also love your powder room Vanity. Can you share the internet website where you got it?

o

akshars - Framing goes fast...before you know it, you will have walls!

Thanks! It is from Home Decorators Collection, however, I was able to get free shipping through Amazon. HDC sells some products on Amazon. You can also order it on Home Depot and have it shipped to home or store free of charge.

It is called the Ansley 30" vanity. They have a larger size too. It is perfect for a powder bath, but not for every day use like in a main bathroom.

I plan to write a review. The tools they give you in the box are very small. I used my own screw drivers. It comes with the top too...all you need is the faucet!

Pam

o

We have a roof and stairs!
Octgw2 photo Octgardenweb2.jpg
Octgw1 photo Octgardenweb1.jpg

o

Very nice Spotty. Love your taste!

o

Here is my latest. I love the dumpster out front right now. They have put the shingles on and are working on the wiring and we are having the framing preview next week

o

Pam,
Thanks for the details on the Vanity. I will look into it. You must be getting excited to see all the finishing touches come together.
I can't wait to get to this stage :)

Niteshadepromises, You have a very interesting house. Like the various shapes you have going.

Nick, You are moving pretty fast.

o

Thanks Akshars_mom,
The lot is very oddly shaped and it really dictated the shape of the home, basically a triangle narrowing out at the front of the lot.

o

This is such a slooooooow process. Finished trim last week and are painting this week. Next week is final plumbing and counters.

photo IMG_2748.jpeg

photo photo1.jpg

photo photo3.jpg

o

Dup post?

This post was edited by mjwkr on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 10:48

o

Here's some October shots of our driveway, it totals .7 miles, more than .5 is an abandoned railroad line.

o

Almost ready to burn the 2nd and 3rd pile-o-sticks from clearing out the driveway for cement and construction vehicles last fall.

o

Love love love the driveway pics LawPaw!!

We're at an annoying standstill right now, but hoping to be framing next week.

But the moles have decided to help... until they hit a wall LOL :)

o

lawpaw--absolutely beautiful driveway, especially with the fall colors!! I'm sure it was an expense but it will be worth it! I can relate to your burn piles. We burned several last winter and have more to go from our clearing work.

loribug--Cute! Hope your framing begins soon, how exciting!

We are waiting for the foundation to be poured. They are so busy right now and we are about 3rd on their list. Hope to get this in before winter.

o

We are entering the final phase of the build. Today we finished with the balcony railing (it's a stainless steel cable system).

photo BC3.jpeg

photo BC2.jpeg

photo BC1.jpeg

o

Lawpaw... love your driveway pictures and your burn pile looks alot like some of ours. Since we bought our land last year, we have had so many fires!
Our foundation was poured last week, the waterproofing is done, drains are going in, septic is done, geo wells have been drilled. The framers are scheduled to start on the 14th. It's really happening!
 photo IMG_1410_zpsec607120.jpg

o

We finally have a well!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our House Blog

o

mjwkr, Love your trim work.

Lawpaw, great seeing all the fall colors. We don't have nearly as much here (northern Califronia).

jrdh, Your house is looking great. Would love to some interior photos if you don't mind sharing.

o

Still waiting for minor use permit...but we have gotten past a few of the committees that needed to review our plans. Hopefully by next month we'll have the minor use permit and then be able to hire builder and start picking out interior finishes.

o

Loribug- Just curious what the gravel is? Is it some part of your foundation or is is a walkway?

LawPaw- Love Love Love your driveway! The land we found doesn't have the long treed driveway (was on our list!) But luckily we will be half blocked from the road. We will need to plant trees for the other half. We aren't nearlyas secluded as we wanted, but it takes us 2 minutes to get to the small town grocery store/school/etc.... however was just telling hubby yesterday how the long driveway (and a barn already on property) is really the One thing we were missing! Can't have it all though :)

o

Lots of Oct progress.

Spotty--what is the master bathroom vanity top in your picture, if I may ask? I like it.

o

nostalgicfarm that is actually lime packed into our front porch, for the concrete base.
There's also another type of finely ground stone, that I can't remember what they called it...something "double f".
Our garage floor is that also, under the concrete.
But as you can see right now, it's a Corgi racetrack :) I told him to get the moles. He was running around like "get what mom???"

o

red_lover - it's 3cm Crema Marfil -
Pam

o

We have walls and windows! (Southern living Elberton Way plan)

o

Well, as of Wednesday we had first floor decking, now we have 2 stories! We used Thermocore Sips and love them. House went together great!

Inside and roof framing next week, then windows and doors and then siding and stone!

o

Love seeing everyone's progress!
I'm not too much farther than last month. Should be dried in in a week or two.

o

mjwkr: The stone treatment on the bar in your kitchen is almost exactly what I am planning to do in my kitchen as well. Can you tell me the stone used? Thanks!

o

Had to share one more pic for the month. Our gothic top windows apparently went in today!
gothicwindows photo gardenwebgothic.jpg

o

jrldh,

I hope you can share more details with the house when it is done, it looks like a great house.

o

Rondajs,

Stone is Virginia ledge stone.

o

I've posted a couple times, mostly in subgroups, but wanted to finally post a few pictures on our build. We are on 2.5 acres that we purchased the beginning of May 2013 and broke ground the day after closing. Our home is a much smaller budget and scale than most of the ones here (1800 sq ft, $160,000 total build budget) but we've learned a lot here and felt like sharing since I know there are others on smaller budgets too. My husband has done 80+% of the work himself along with the help of family and friends. Hubby worked on a framing crew before his current career as a firefighter. Hubby's dad is a contractor who lives a couple hours away and helped a lot with the framing and general guidance.

The only addition that has not yet been photographed is the exterior paint that hubby started yesterday. He finished the 2nd coat on the siding today and will get started on the trim soon.

We did the first coat of interior paint last week and put down backerboard to start tiling bathrooms, and laundry later this week. Hardwood will be going in once hubby is done with tile.

Our total expenses as of today are right at $90,000. We are hoping to be in right around Thanksgiving.

photo DSC_0065_zpsef44f795.jpg

photo DSC_0070_zps5816cdc1.jpg

photo DSC_0071_zpsb985e4c5.jpg

photo DSC_0073_zpse87c3f93.jpg

photo 1_zpsb8c74ee2.jpg

photo 1167526_10151883319913169_591589115_o_zps2b7a951a.jpg

photo DSC_0139_zpsd0f4bc99.jpg

photo DSC_0152_zps38029038.jpg

o

Jrldh, Add me to the list of those who want to see more. There is a shortage of contemporary projects here-- you and Sochi may have the field to yourselves at the moment! I'd love to see more details in your own thread, interiors, too!

o

Thanks for the interest in my project. I'll post pictures from the interior when it's a bit more finished. Right now a lot of the rooms inside are empty. I hope that I have a bathroom and the kitchen ready in a few weeks.

o

Siding and spray foam insulation have started.

photo P1040023.jpg

photo P1040003.jpg

photo P1040002.jpg

o

niteshade....coming along! I can't wait to see more! I like your style..the gothic windows are pretty...
lawpaw and loribug....love the settings of your homes! Nice to have big, big pieces of land!!
aporthole - you have big land too and you are very talented! 80% done yourself is a great accomplishment!
pfieff - Nice pictures! I like your siding color...do you mind sharing the color?

Today it was kitchen and summer kitchen backsplash and hanging lights, plumbing in appliances...we are getting close. The house will be finished October 24th!

Pam

o

Kitchen range top backsplash...

o

mudroom dropzone for backpacks etc...almost done!

o

Spotty - the siding color is lighthouse red by Crane. I will get some more pics up once they get it completed. We are going to do white trim with black shutters and paint the front door black.

o

Thanks pfieff...I like the black with the deep red...

o

Not technically build progress, but we accepted an offer on our current home on Saturday!

Fingers crossed that everything goes well and we'll be in the final planning stages over the winter, ready to break ground in March/April!

o

Congrats ZGA! :)

pfieff I love the red siding too! I'm struggling with siding choices myself. I've thought I had it figured out several times...

o

This was a couple weeks ago. We now have walls poured, basement insulation and radiant heating coils installed, patio and basement being poured and framing beginning.

o

wow juju are you building on the edge of the world? :)

o

I have been following GW since we started the process of purchasing our land back in May and you all have been super helpful! We just broke ground last week and here is a picture from over the weekend. They have dug down deeper since this picture (we are building a one story walk up with a full basement so that the main level has the view).

Look forward to contributing more going forward!

o

loribug, we had a tough time picking out a siding color as well. We narrowed it down to red but then there were still a lot of choices. One would look good in morning light but not afternoon light, etc...

o

Many lovely water views..I'm jealous!

o

Oh my goodness my first post in one of these. Today was groundbreaking!!! I can't believe this is finally happening.

o

We are making some progress now. Under roof, windows and doors in, roofing in place, working with all the trades to make final choices and decisions. Oh boy... what a lot of decisions.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here is a view from the driveway. We are high on a bluff overlooking the river and bottoms below. We are making the best of the layout by adding a 2 car garage under the main garage. We are working on the preliminaries to installing a rock retaining wall. This wall will hopefully set the house off and blend in. It is a ledgestone and looks like a rock face when completed.

Last picture is out of our great room windows. Sorry for the bad light but it was pretty dark by the time I got on site. I had to take a quick picture for my wife. We plan to have a screened in porch and on grade patio to allow us to enjoy the view. In a couple weeks the leaves will be in full blaze and falling. The view will improve dramatically then. I've had multiple folks tell me to cut the trees to clear the view but I actually like them there. We'll have view for 7 months out of the year then leaves... I think the trees are part of the view, not in the way at all.

Good luck to everyone on their builds. Please keep the pictures and stories coming. I can't believe how much I've learned from this website and the loyal posters...

Saftgeek-

o

Saftgeek that is gorgeous! i wouldn't take those trees down either. At most, I might limb them up just a bit but I can't see them well enough to know if that would open the view or if they would look like totem poles with leaves on top - not a good look!! We did that with the oaks in our yard and it made a big difference, felt more open but we still have our trees. Love the look of your house. Have you posted your floor plan? I;d love to see more of what you're doing - the stacked garages is genius.

This post was edited by dlm2000 on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 8:12

o

Final walkthrough on Thursday, countertops should be delivered and set Friday and moving in this weekend!! So excited, and just in time to watch harvest out my windows!

o

Love seeing this in my 'front yard'!!

o

Ahh Meg...I'm so jealous. I'll have to wait to watch planting & next year's harvest from my front porch.

Framing...again...is supposed to start this week. We've had perfect weather until we started talking about framing....
We're supposed to have a pretty good stretch for the next couple weeks. Good for harvest, and for framing!!!

o

Meg, How exciting for you. Post more pictures may be as a new thread when you are done.

SaftGeek, You are moving along quickly. Love the the windows in your great room.

I am so jealous of all the beautiful views many of you have :).

They have started framing and should be completed by this Friday. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I have stared at the plan for so long and now that we can walk through the spaces I am getting nervous that we might have made some rooms small and other stuff like that.

o

Meg4440Roberts - Woo hoo! Sooo exciting!!

o

Akshars- I had the same feelings...nervous and worried if rooms were big enough, if the tile I picked was pretty etc....(my husband let me pick everything! With the help of a designer)....but it all comes together! Your house will look small as a foundation, then larger at framing...you will see very soon!!!

I agree...meg...do a full reveal post!

Saftgeek...I am envious of your high land....love the stacked garages! And those huge windows...beautiful!!!

Meg- is that planting equipment? What do you harvest?

Pam

o

akshars-our framing starts on Monday, currently I am feeling nauseous and stressed that we royally messed up! The longer I sit and look and try to actually plan built ins and furniture placement I start to panic that it should be 2' wider here or 2' shorter here, etc...ack! I keep talking myself down that it will all be fine but yowsa. It's such a huge undertaking and we LOVE the land so it's not like we would just sell and start again. When all is said and done the goal was to have a comfortable and cozy house, not too big and not too small and no wasted space. I hope we achieved that (but I am seriously nervous about the living room and it's way too late now!). Waiting to see it materialize before my eyes is driving me nuts. I am visual so looking at a floorplan diagram does little for me in terms of feeling the space if that makes sense. So all that babble to say I feel your pain!

Meg-woohoo! Very exciting and I'd love that view too. Happy moving and unpacking to you!

Saftgeek - very nice and I love the trees too! I'd save them for sure. We saved as many as we possibly could.

o

Spotty- we live in a small farming community in NW Missouri. Crop here mainly consists of corn and beans. That is harvest equipment in the above picture. Combine and tractor/auger cart. Our house is in the middle of a big field, this year it was beans, next year will be corn, which I'm really excited for!! It will be so much easier to bring out supper to the men living out here! Thanks for all the congrats! Will post pictures once moved in. This has all been such a blessing, my husband and I feel very fortunate that we've been able to do this at such a young age. I'm 24 & my husband is 26!

o

And I'm jealous again, Meg.... of your youth. :)
We wanted to be there at that age, but things don't always go as planned. We stayed in our "starter house" for 13 years! We aren't old by any means, but at 38 & 42 we're a little behind. :)

I love love love harvest. Our new house is 1600+ ft at the back of a field b/c dh didn't want to lose any more crop ground than we had to. It's corn this year, and oh how I love my field of dreams. I think I've talked dh into planting corn every year, even though we typically rotate as you explained. He said some guys do it and it works just fine. So, our 22 acres will be an experiment I suppose. I'm pretty excited. It will seem sooo different once we harvest. Right now there's no chance of seeing the road!

o

I am so jealous of the farmers - loribug and Meg! That is so cool! I think I could live in 20 different states and enjoy what each has to offer! I try to plant herbs but they often die.....no green thumb here!

Autumn - it will all work out....stay calm and keep building!!

o

I don't have a green thumb either Pam. I just drive trucks, or tractors & deliver dinner... :-)

o

Ha! I also love harvest - my screen name depicts my favorite season and we are having a great fall so far here in MI. I hope I didn't just jinx it!

Thanks Pam. I am trying and outwardly I suppose I appear calm but on the inside, turmoil and tons of second guessing! But - my current mantra - "it is what it is" will carry me through and it will be built how we planned it. Only person I have to be irked with will be myself darn it, lol!

Meg- that would be me too, love to cook and bake (esp bake) and that would be my 'job' for the farm, feed the peeps!

o

Spotty, I too am making most of the selections and decisions by husband is leaving a lot of the stuff to me. It is good cause I can choose but also makes me nervous. May be I should get a interior designer to help. Can I ask the designer you used was the one who designed the house or was a interior designer. If you used a different interior designer can I ask how did the service work. Did you pay by hour or was it % of the cost of the project.

Autumn, Hopefully both of us will pass this stage soon. Once framing starts it seems to be going fast like others have said. One thing I am doing is going to see the progress everyday in the evening and any minor changes we want to make we communicate with the contractor in the morning. So they can do these changes right then. If you live close by I would recommend going more frequently during framing.

Meg, Wow to be building when you are so young is great.

Loribug, We are around the same ages as you 37 and 41 and we also lived in our starter home for 13 years :) Plan was to stay for 5 to 7 years but ended up staying longer.

o

Thanks for all the comments. I've put ALOT of time into clearing that driveway without taking out all the trees.

They finally got the well in. 130' of pure sand followed by 30' of limestone. Strange for around here.

They've been getting 300 gallons/minute!!!

That's a huge amount of water, even here in Iowa where we don't worry about water.

o

Autumn- we found our builder and he took us to his architect. Our Interior Designer gave some floor plan input, however the builder and architect were the main designers....they offered several kitchen layouts/ideas, traffic flow, width of hallways etc....the interior designer looked for focal walls and how we could maximize those areas.

She was $1 per square foot of living space. $4668. That included a huge list of items such as all paint colors, all tile, cabinetry, light fixtures, driveway and hardscrape, windows, pretty much every item you select for your home. We would visit showrooms etc...and select everything. She has been involved for 1 1/2 years! We contracted separately for her to design custom build entertainment centers, drop zone, area, ceiling designs, fireplace etc....that was maybe another 5k. I love her do much because she really "gets" what I like! So we purchased all furniture, draperies, window treatments through her. She gathers pictures and fabrics and we weed through them to find the one that is best. Usually, it only takes a few samples and we find the one. I would be lost without her! She charges $125 per hour, however, with out package to do it all, there wasn't a limit where she would say her hours were used up. I think finding a designer that is used to your style is key. She works more efficiently because it's what she knows...sge has been our leader the whole way! Her markup on furniture is 30% on top of her cost ( which is nowhere close to retail)! I will continue to use her after we move in to finish off the house.
Some of the best money spent!!!
Pam

o

Spotty, I was the one who asked about the interior designer :). Thanks for the information. Your interior designer sounds great and her cost seems to be reasonable for what she offered. It is good to have someone do some of the legwork and also get your taste.
I will have to start to try look into someone and see if I can find someone. May be try some one on a hourly basis first.

o

akshars...sorry....I made that mistake!!

Yes, find someone you are comfortable with to tie all your colors together...
Pam

o

Spotty, no worries. It happens to all of us and you been very nice to answer any and all question in detail so appreciate it.

o

That's a LOT of water LawPaw!!

Well... another framing date... Monday??? Hopefully ordering windows Monday also. If I hear "it wil be...." another day one more time, I might scream.

I'm still getting a small building fix though...
Our shelterhouse is almost done.

o

Wow, it's been forever. I last posted in the January version of this thread. It's been a bit of a ride. We were all ready to go and then doubts about our plan and inability to reach a contract caused us to bail. Went right back to the drawing board, scrapped the whole plan, switched architect, contractor, etc. Hard to believe it was a 9 month setback but it was (total time in design to date: 25 months). This has been an emotional roller coaster for my wife and I and we now have a little one. Great news in that we finally began preliminary demolition (asbestos abatement) on the house this week. We are a substantial remodel (retaining the foundation, exterior walls and most of the roof) but here in NorCal the costs are steep enough most of you would consider it new construction!

Negative pressure equipment:

What's left of the old kitchen:

No turning back now!

o

Caben, Congratulations on your new addition. Glad the delays are finally over for you and you are getting started. I am also in northern California and we are doing an extensive remodel (only foundation and the exterior frame of the house remains)of the existing house (1330 sqft) and we are adding on about 900 sqft. You are right the costs here are higher than the rest. Good luck with your project.

o

Caben- you are not alone! We had a 6month setback but we are almost done with construction and the setback was a blessing in disguise. Really happy we switched builders etc...congrats on your little one and demo of the house! The only town I know in NorCal is Sausalito! Biked the golden gate into that quaint town! Love NorCal!!!!
Pam

o

Ok...a busy week...all plumbing, shower glass/mirrors, lighting, final lot grade, driveway, more tile work, more trim work is all installed. Gutters, a few shutters hung, and the water is running! Not its just final interior and exterior painting. Oh, copper roof too.

Here are some photos...My home will be completed October 24th!

I think these are may favorite lights...a trio over my kitchen island...

o

Master bath chandelier that hangs between our vanities...Love this one too!

o

Looking into the kitchen - they trimmed out the smaller beverage island...I love how it looks! The other side is kitchen cabinetry with a chiller and ice machine. This side is in the dining room so it really doesn't look like it's part of the kitchen..

o

Driveway and working on final grade for landscaping next week.

o

Still need the rest of the shutters, front copper roof and copper chimney cap. Oh, garage doors too!
Thanks for looking at my pictures...I enjoyed sharing them with all of you!

Pam

o

Spotty, I love looking at your pictures! Thanks for keeping us up to date. Everything looks beautiful. I especially like your exterior.

o

Spotty - Oct 24!?! Can you believe it??? That will be here in a flash! Loving all of your pics. We are only 4 miles from the build so I am sure we will be out there everyday once it gets going! In fact - we are out there as much as we can be already now just enjoying how peaceful it is there. We can't wait to be in!

loribug-not the best words to hear. I am crossing fingers I don't continue to hear that either. Here's hoping for the week of the 21st!

Akshar-ask around, you may find someone local that might do some decorating on the side (depending on how much help you are wanting). There is a woman in my hometown that works for a builder and does the whole kit and kaboodle for his clients but she does also offer by the hour on the side. I had her here on Friday to run a few things by her (flooring samples and a living room layout issue that was bugging me) and it is so reassuring to talk to someone who knows what they are doing! I found it a huge relief just to ask about the more major things that I was losing sleep over so I can just move on from it. I look at it and see a huge question mark and she has several ideas for me to ponder. She also helps with the decorative finishes like I said. I will definitely be using her for hand-holding when it comes to bringing the whole look together with a pretty open floor plan. I know what I do and don't like when I see a complete room but choosing from scratch is just not my thing. I hope you are able to find someone!

Framing has been pushed out a week. Our temporary electrical was just set up on Friday. The lumber is supposed to be delivered some time this week. Chance of rain Tuesday - Friday anyhow so it's okay that it's delayed until next week.

o

Spotty, October 24 is just around the corner. You must be getting so excited. You have been doing a great job and posting pictures so please do a new thread with all the pictures once you are done. Love your lights in the kitchen. I like how you did a cluster.

Autumn, Glad you found some one who you can bounce your ideas of and get new ideas. I am like you small things bug me some times and loose my sleep over them. Finding some one who can help with all the selections will be good. We also have an open floor plan so need to co-ordinate all of them together.I did some research online on Friday and will probably call/talk to a couple of them. Asking the builder is a good suggestion. I will check with him.

o

Aporthole, I love what you're doing. We picked a house plan that's 1811 sq feet. A lot smaller than most of the houses here. If you haven't checked it out already, look at the smaller homes forum. We are on a tight budget also. We bought a 3-1/2 acre lot in July. We haven't done anything yet because I keep making changes to our stock house plans and we decided not to start until everything is decided so changes don't cost us later. I hope y'all are finished before the holidays. Don't forget to post pics when you are done.

o

To Spotty Cat -- I love your kitchen pendants -- can you show a picture of how the canopy/ies look -- did you use three or re-wire into one canopy?

o

Congrats everyone!!! Must be really exciting!

o

Akshars - thank you!!!
loessismore - thank you!
Autumn - yes, so close! I started to pack a few boxes to make moving the kitchen stuff easier - like platters/holiday stuff...
RMSAustin...I will post a picture later today...it is 3 separate lights hung in hand hewn beams...Kichler lighting. We hung them at different heights - they have adjustable rods.

Pam

o

akshars and lori - ha! Must be a trend - we also were in our starter home for 14 years and only had planned to be there about 5 or so, my how the time flies! We are 40 and 41 as well. Looks like we are in good company. :)

o

Not well... My DH was up at our build today and someone had stolen all of our interior doors, laser level, compressor, generator, chain saws, electrical wire, other tools, all of our light fixtures, as well as our trailer, quad and dirt bike. They completely damaged the jacuzzi tub and had another pile of stuff ready to take. ALL of it was locked up. Sooo discouraged...

o

That is awful! Someone stole most of our tools so I know that horrible feeling. I installed an alarm and an outswing steel door with two deadbolts which fixed this problem.

o

kcthatsme, So sorry that this happened. That is awful. Can't believe they did that. Hope they catch who did this. were the light fixtures and doors installed? What does your GC say. I hope insurance covers the loss.

o

Autumn, Yes time flies. Hope it flies during the build process also. Right now it feels like it is going at a slower pace then before :).

o

kcthatsme - that is so very sad! People can be so horrible! Sorry this has happened. Hopefully insurance will cover it and maybe install a webcam?

o

Kc- oh no, that is horrible! Dh is an officer as sadly sees that more than people might think. Crooks can get through almost anything if they want it bad enough. :(

o

:( Kcthats me, that is awful. We are installing some game cameras around so if anything moves, we will at least get good clear images of it.

We finally started today!!!! Lot was cleared and leveled, maybe 50% done. The guy was just powering through and his dump guy got done with a job early and started hauling today too. We had our first negative run in with the neighbors, about us removing a tree, but all in all the feeling is really good to see visible change.

Spotty: That light set up is to die for with the three pendants.

o

Our screen porch is almost done! Cabinets due next week, interior trim starting any time now... we might actually be heading for the homestretch!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our House Blog

o

Zone - Nice big porch! I looked at your blog...very nicely done! I wish I did one!

Landscaping is going in and interior painting...we are almost done....It will be completed next Thursday...Move probably 1-2 weeks after...builder wants punch list done before we move in...that way, no interruptions!

Pam

o

kc so sorry to hear that!! We've had a rash of break ins at our farm, it really makes you doubt the good in people :(

We've finally started framing. Now fighting good 'ol Indiana weather, where one might see hot, snow, rain, sleet, back to hot all in one day. I swear....

Autumn. hope yours stays on schedule this time!!

every one else....hope things keep trucking a long!!

o

spotty - here I am... :)

zone-that is fun exciting stuff on the horizon!

Lori-man oh man I am so excited to see your walls start going up! I literally grinned from ear to ear! But - alas, the weather here is turning to crap. The lumber and trusses are to be delivered on Monday and we have rain in the forecast for the next 8 days straight. It's supposed to be Lake Effect so the only saving grace is that it could be really spotty (but not as in spotty the cat). :p

Currently - I am in cabinetry quoting misery. I did post in kitchens, got quite a few good suggestions on trimming cost and reassurance on the costs I was getting and I am feeling better. I am getting a few more quotes and will go from there.

Today we had a little bit of sunshine this morning but it has since completely clouded over and you guessed it, rain moving in tomorrow!

o

loribug....your builder is so very neat....everything is so straight! Lookin' good!

Autumn - compare the bids apples to apples..we ignored the custom cabinetry place here in town, but after I got a quote from the semi custom place, I realized they charged me for all the little extras that were included with the custom bid! So, in the end, it was worth an extra 1K to go custom and get everything we wanted and the cabinets would fit better...

Hot here...my gosh, 88 today! I sooo want rain because they are laying our grass today and tomorrow! Rain dance, please, ladies!!!

Pam

o

Kc--I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope your insurance covers the loss. I hope they are able to find out who did this. How discouraging.....

o

spotty - DANCE AWAY - you can have our rain. Perfect-you can grow your grass with it and we can frame without it! Is your granite bianco antico? I'm not sure you said but that is what it looks like and I love it! I am working on apples to apples - it's tough they all include something different as 'standard' and their upcharges don't match either. I will say after meeting with no less than 5 (embarrassed to say) KD's I have learned something different from each one of them. It helps to have fresh eyes and ideas.

o

We have been slowly unpacking and getting organized. Our hydoseed is being sprayed this weekend beginning of next as well! So nice to call it home, just ready to have grass so the outside stops getting so dirty!

I am also very glad that I will hopefully never have to build another retaining wall my self again. They look great but why do rocks have to be SO heavy?! Ha ha.

Everybodys homes are looking great, I still come and look a lot because I still love seeing all the progress!!

IMG_3616

IMG_3574

IMG_3629

IMG_3563

IMG_3562

IMG_3535

IMG_3530

IMG_3609

DSC01482

DSC01481

DSC01489

DSC01486

DSC01485

IMG_3582

IMG_3571

IMG_3569

IMG_3565

IMG_3538

IMG_3531

IMG_3506

IMG_3505

IMG_3485

IMG_3482

Some pictures are pre move in, during and after!

o

Lovely and glad you had a safe move!

o

Loribug, I hear ya about Indiana weather! :-)

Our framer had another delay. He said he would start Thursday. Can. Not. Wait!

o

degcds. Your house is to die for. It looks like a model home.

o

Wow! It's so exciting to see all the progress and I love seeing all the variety in home styles and locations. Beautiful!. We finally broke ground on our lot which required lots of blasting and excavating for driveway, utility and basement. We are trying to get it all done before the snow arrives and then the actual building of the house will start next April or May. Not quite complete, but here are some progress photos  photo IMG_3306_zps4508f471.jpg, photo IMG_3304_zps3aabc723.jpg, photo IMG_3303_zps834d0d34.jpg, photo IMG_3302_zps5ae0bcc4.jpg

o

harringk, what a beautiful location! I have to ask, where are you located? It looks a lot like the foothills of the Cascade Mountains.

o

It's north of Durango, colorado and thanks, we love it there

o

degcds, Everything in the house has come together great.

Harringk. You location is beautiful.

Autumn4 and spotty, Met with a designer on Friday and gave her the scope of some of the things we want her help with. We have to see the pricing she comes back with.

Spotty, You are almost there jsut one more week :)

On our front we are doing the framing but moving a little slow with a crew of two. They are supposed to start framing the ceiling and roof next week.
Spent most of yesterday and today finalizing our faucets, shower heads and tubs for all three bathrooms and other plumbing supplies for the bathroom.

o

degcds - AMAZING, beautiful, gorgeous! LOVE it all! It is decorated like a model home! So well put together! Thanks for sharing...I am afraid to post mine next week...yours is so beautiful inside and out!!

Autumn - my granite is Alaska White Premium, but it isn't the typical grey/black/white like Alaska...so, I think it is really Delicatus. I will post more pictures if I can dig them out.

akshars - good job with the designer...even just a few hours of her time will "tie" it all together and you will feel more confident with decisions. Houzz is a good site too...you select photos and can sort of copy the look.

harringk - gorgeous, breathtaking location! We visited Durango a few summers ago...to go ziplining at Soaring! We loved Durango! Great foods, sites and people!

Pam

o

Wow, just read through this thread. First off, So Sorry Kc to hear of the theft. It's just sad and discouraging.
I could be writing Autumn's post about halfway down this thread right now. We broke ground this week, trenches went in and rebar is placed. They should begin pouring foundation then setting blocks next week. We're building in the low country so no basements, in fact we are elevating the house 3' off ground level.
So I walked around the trenches yesterday, and the place just looks so much smaller than I expected, yet it seems to be taking more of the lot than I expected.
And I set out to arrange furniture a couple of weeks ago using one of the online furniture planners, and realized I haven't given myself any walls for furniture placement. And I'm starting to second guess myself. Too late now!
We finally closed on the construction loan last week, but because the appraisal came in so much lower than actual construction costs we're ending up putting more cash into it...adn I'm afraid there goes much of my budget to furnish and accessorize after we're in.
So right now I'm having all the heebie jeebies that I expect most home builders experience. Last time we built it was in a development and we had very few actual decisions to make. This time it's a design and build, so I've been agonizing over every single decision.
I'm grateful to have found this forum. Someplace to at least have other people in the same place!
I've been posting on the kitchen forum and the home dec forum here for a couple of months - didn't even see the tab for new construction until now.

There are some gorgeous homes here!

o

mlweaving...welcome! Before you know it, your home will be finished...I found it went faster than I expected. Some stages are boring and other are very exciting...it's bittersweet for us...happy we get our new home, yet sad because we got to know so many great people who worked on our home! And, sad (I am very emotional) about leaving our home of 13 years!

Someone asked about my kitchen lights...here is the photo showing how it is 3 individual pendants...

Pam

o

Spotty, that was me -- thanks for the picture.

o

Thanks Autumn & Spotty... everything is nice & neat, well right now it looks like a maze of brace boards b/c they're working on the 2nd floor. He's very picky on detail, so I think we've got a good one! :)

degcds - I couldn't live in your house, it's too perfect!!! Absolutely beautiful!!

harringk awesome landscape!! I love mountains :)

Hoosierbred, I'm crossing my fingers for ya!

Beautiful ceiling Spotty! :)

o

akshar's-I hope it's a good fit with the designer you've sat with. It is so reassuring. I am also selecting sinks/faucets/flooring as we speak. That I am finding to not be too bad. It's when we get to paint that I will definitely need the designer.

herring-I love fall and those pics just make me want to stroll right down your driveway for a nice fall walk!

o

Autumn, Did you start the framing today?
You are ahead of me in the kitchen selection part. I have a general idea on what I want but need to finalize stuff. Have you selected your appliances already? I am debating between induction vs gas. I have not yet approached a KD/cabinet place yet. I need to do this in the next week or so. I know most places have a huge lead time and the selection here is going to have impact on other design choices.

I hope the designer works out to. She said she can do the kitchen design but most cabinet places do the design also so debating if we should pay the interior designer extra for something a lot of the places provide for free.

Spotty, are you finishing up the landscape also before you move in? We have not put much thought into landscaping other then the front yard where we will have grass and some roses/other plants.

loribug, Your framing is looking great.

o

Yahoo! We have wood! The floor joists (sp?) are done and they will start on the walls tomorrow. Today was a beautiful sunny day, although chilly. Tomorrow is supposed to be only in the low 50's, then Wednesday is supposed to be a cold rain. I don't want our wood to get wet!
 photo IMG_1469_zpsa70731a5.jpg
 photo IMG_1468_zps739e1f10.jpg

o

Very nice ceiling Spotty!

o

akshars_mom, Spottythecat, Autumn.4, MFatt16, loribug26, red_lover, and mlweaving_Marji - Thank you so much for the kind comments, about our theft. It definitely was a setback, especially mentally, but we are moving forward and I ordered this entry system the other day. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Building Adventure

This post was edited by kcthatsme on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 21:54

o

Kcthatsme - gorgeous doors!!! Keep those locked up!! What manufacturer?

Carol...nice wood!!! You sound like me about it getting wet...but it will and it will be ok!! I promise !

We are down to the final days...paint, cleaning, etc... The pool pebble finish was completed today... More pictures coming!

Degscds...are you totally enjoying your new home?

o

Yay Carol!!
I didn't want ours to get wet either, but such is life. I'd venture to guess there are more houses than not that have gotten plenty wet in the framing stage and survived.

Ours didn't have to though, we had the foundation done while we were still in a small drought here. But as all things go, the framing package didn't show up until after it started raining again. :/

Autumn, do you have wood?? :)

KC beautiful doors!

This post was edited by loribug26 on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 10:01

o

kc - nice door!

Carol - I feel the same way and we have rain the forecase for the foreseeable future. I walked by a house the other morning that was just starting with framing and the floor had standing water on it. I mentioned it to my husband and he said it can take what water it may get on it before the roof is up. It's still not a comforting thing to see!

lori - no, no wood in sight. I am starting to think that my impressions of 'next week' meant Monday to me and maybe their take on that statement was Friday. So now if we just have ANYthing done by Friday I will be happy. I promise I will. That does buy me a little bit more time with figuring out the kitchen and I am using that to pacify myself. How are things with yours? The weather cooperating?

akshars-we are gcing ourselves and supplying all of the sinks/faucets/light fixtures/flooring (except carpet) to the subs so I have been online browsing for a while.

I am at the point now that I have a spreadsheet with my choices on them and when I get the 'go' I will order them up. I think I am about 75% complete with firm decisions. I do have several things where I have a few that I like and need to make a firm choice but I have time yet.

I am in the same boat with appliances. I really want a slide in range and leaning towards gas. The bosch has such good reviews BUT it's a dual fuel which drives cost up having to run both electrical and gas lines. I think it's not a bad idea in case in the future induction comes down in price and I end up with one of those. Hubby thinks I am nuts to even consider dual fuel. I am also thinking that by the end of the build our appliance budget may not be as healthy so I am kind of waiting to see how things go. We will need to buy a washer and dryer as well. Our old (6 months old) ones stayed with our house when we sold it.

Our excavating was finished last night and I am thankful for that. I can check that off of the mental wondering list. I will be sure to post a picture when I see any sign of wood. I haven't seen the finished excavating so I am antsy to check it out after work tonight. I will try to snap a pic of that too even though it may be hard to tell much.

o

KC, the door/entry system looks great. Glad you are moving forward.

Autumn, We are doing something in between a full GC and GCing oursleves. The contractor takes care of finding all the subs and the material needed for the foundation/framing/windows/hvac and other stuff and we are responsible for providing all the finishing touches. Basically the GC takes care of the building shell and the labor for the finishng touches but we choose our own finishing stuff. The GC we use is very busy (currently he is working on 6 houses). We prefer it this way as we can choose what we what with out being stuck with the the GC's vendors.

I think it makes sense to wait on he appliances to see how the budget works. We thought we had a decent budget for some stuff but finding that we have to go above budget sometimes. So leaving appliances until later makes sense.

o

Autumn - weather is touch & go. It rained last night, but so far has been dry all day for the last few days. My BIG wall is going up today. He called this am and said he wanted me to see it, and decide on how many windows we can put in the end, b/c he thinks I can get more than I thought.

I sure hope you have wood soon! It gets really exciting :)

I have an appt with a local cabinet maker tomorrow evening. We live in a small town (1200ish) and there's one right in town. I've kinda looked around, and I think *hope* I can just stay local... It might cost me a little more, but in the long run I think I'll be happier.

I think I've picked my "red" you know the PUUUrple comercial, that's how I've felt. SW Sun Dried Tomato

I want red cabinets, with black island. Distressed finish to look old. Galvanized barn siding on the ceiling...country/rustic. I also want to use the same red color as my exterior accent. Garage doors, front door, shutters...

I'm pretty excited about talking to the cabinet lady tomorrow!!

akshars - we're pretty much doing the same thing. GC is a friend, and framer by trade, but does full builds also. He's pretty much letting me run with whatever, but I'm mostly staying with his people for now. He uses local merchants and knows what he likes.

I can't wait to see more progress pictures!! OH!! I have this of the 2nd floor up. And I'll post tomorrow of the big wall, I hope!!

o

loribug....looks soo nice!! (as usual...you have a very neat builder!)

Gals/guys...I am getting sad...my journey is just about over and you guys are just starting...I was there about 7 months ago! Glad I can live it all over again through you guys!!!

Send the rain here...I have new lawn!!!

o

Ok - a few more photos of the last few items!

My herringbone wood foyer....

o

My pool bath just got wallpaper!

o

The faux finisher just brought the summer kitchen doors...

o

Stepping stones make a path down to our dock...

o

spottythecat, nice house. Any other kitchen pictures?

o

Just finished kitchen backsplash above rangetop

o

aries...thank you! Kitchen ceiling...just stained....
I should have more tomorrow when they start cleaning up the house...

o

akshars - I just saw that GE has come out with a new slide in induction. Only issue (besides being at the top of budget) for me would be it's so new there haven't been any reviews yet. I've linked it below.

mlweaving-I highly doubt we'll have any 'finishing touches' budget left. Our excavating was over already. I hope that was the big 'thing' and the rest goes according to plan or at least close!

spotty - feel free to follow along and live vicariously - you will give us encouragement to carry on and focus on the end! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: AJ Madison New GE Induction

o

Spotty, everything is looking good. Your foyer is looking nice. Also like the kitchen and back splash you chose. Please do keep posting on the thread once you are done.

Autumn, Thanks for the link of the induction range. I had a Gad Ge profile slide in range in my old house and really liked it. This one looks good also but you are right having some reviews would be good.

Lori, Your red and black kitchen sounds very interesting and it will have lot of personality. I can't wait to see it when it done. I like Red's to in general. I also plan on starting with cabinets soon. Need to get in touch with the cabinet maker who did my previous kitchen. If he is not available I will need to start looking else where.

They have started the framing for the ceiling and roof. I am getting nervous about how the elevation will look. To be honest this is the one I have been most nervous about from the begining. We are trying to tie in with the old part of house we kept so that has caused some funky issues. Another thing is I like crafts man style and my husband does not so we changed it so another reason that is scaring me.

o

We have walls!

o

Loribug and Jujubean - Love your wood! We are just a bit behind you.... the subfloor is done and the walls just started. Supposed to be a cold rain tomorrow. I know that every house's wood gets wet at some point during construction, but it's freaking me out! Spotty, you can have the rain!

o

Spotty- I have never seen herringbone floors before. They are very nice. I wanna steal your view as well!

o

Thanks, Carol. It's very exciting to see the progress ... and we hope like heck the crew gets the house entirely closed in by early December.

During our last build 11 years ago, we unfortunately had a ton of rain before it was shelled in. I mean it sat and sat in so much water it was ridiculous. But then it got shelled in and dried out, and the only problem we had after moving in was one squeaky board which we were able to fix later.

o

jujubean-glad to hear that a squeaky board was the worst of it and that you were able to fix it. I hate to say it but at this point I think flurries would wereak less havoc than bucket loads of rain. That is an awesome view. :)

edit: I forgot to add - latest word is lumber being delivered tomorrow, skytrack Friday and actual start to framing will be Monday/Tuesday. Hurry up and wait - tap tap tap. :)

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 12:12

o

Spotty! You must visit us often, even after you're done! :) How exciting!

beautiful views....

Autumn! I'm tap tap tapping with you!! I know your pain... lol

o

Spotty - All of it... Beautiful!

loribug & jujubean - Framing... Always exciting!

Autumn - We are doing the GCing ourselves also.

Carol - Yay for wood!

Everyone - So many BEAUTIFUL locations!

o

Finally, I have a picture of our hole. We started last week and the clearing and hole are already done! Can't wait to post purdier ones as interior and exterior begin to come together. For now, I am celebrating my hole :)

o

degcds, love all the trim work detail in your house.

o

mfatt-every step is a victory of sorts so take it! I say that and every bill that comes in on or under budget is also a victory to be celebrated. ;)

Quite a few of us gcing - that is comforting as well!

o

Went out to our build site today, and an alligator was sunning on the bank of the pond. I knew we had one, but I hadn't seen him yet. I'm from northern Michigan, so spanish moss and alligators are quite an adjustment.
We have concrete in our trenches now and they're getting ready to set the block on the rebar. I can't wait to see framing go up.
MFatt, I celebrate your hole with you!
Jujubean, gorgeous setting!

I admire all of you doing your own GCing. We have been living on a boat for 4 years, so we're not from this area, don't know the in's and out's and where to go to get stuff - for a variety of reasons I'm really more comfortable going with a builder. I'm really happy with the one we've chosen.
But being with a builder means that I've been obsessing over getting all my selections made since June, because he wanted almost everything decided on before he broke ground.
With very few exceptions everything is chosen and costed out.
We need to buy our appliances before the end of the year in order to take advantage of the promo dishwasher package.

So now I'm starting in on choosing and obsessing over the interior choices. Because we sold our house and moved to the boat 4 years ago, and have sailed +/- 8000 nm since then, we got rid of most of what we own. What we did keep is in storage, and all of the upholstery pieces I kept need reupholstering. I'm going from a very northern design sensibility with rich deep colors and patterns to a low country lighter palette.
I really look forward to watching everyone go through the process and choose all of your materials and appointments.

Autumn4, I'm hoping all goes smoothly and within budget from here on out. good luck

o

mfatt.... nice hole! I know how excited you must be.... I never thought I'd be so thrilled about a hole in the ground.
Autumn.... I know how excited you will be to see a pile of wood on your lot.
Ahhh.... the little things that thrill us!!

o

the little things keep us sane Carol! :)

o

Another delay with our framer. Now, he says next Tuesday. He is framing an 11,000 sq foot home right now. Apparently it's taken him longer than he estimated. Our 2200 sq ft should be a breeze! However, we have rain amd storms in the forecast for all next week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here