Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spudde3

Help with Swoop on Roof

spudde3
10 years ago

All,

As you see in the rendering, the front gable has a swoop in it. We love this and think it will look great. I do have one concern and wanted to get some direction. I really really want to do all of the facia boards in metal to cut down on maintenance. I have seen a few of these done in metal but have not been impressed. Some have a bunch of short pieces on them, and other make a two piece, one for the outside of the swoop board and one piece for the bottom edge. Looks better, but not ideal. Is their some where you can order this pre-bent? Does anyone here have a swoop that could post of pic of how they did the metal on the facia "swoop" board. Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• renovator8
    10 years ago

I assume you are referring to a thin metal wrapping on wood rake trim of a roof with a flared eave. The metal might hide the deterioration of the trim but it will eventually need to be replaced. I recommend using cellular PVC (Azek, etc.)

At the lower end of the rakes "mutton chop" returns are sometimes used as a modern short cut in order to avoid corbeling the wall. Your designer has done both which makes no sense.

Is the stone chimney attached to a brick wall or a stone wall? Since the two materials expand at different rates they require an expansion joint where they meet which can be costly, unsightly and require additional maintenance.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 17:35

• spudde3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I understand about replacing in the future, I just do not want to have to paint all of the cornice as time goes on. Didn't know if there was a way to wrap the curved board with metal and it still look good.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Are you planning on using galvanized color or actual colored metal. It will require painting after some time too if it is the colored kind. I think getting a material like Azek will require less painting than if you used wood and painted with a good quality paint. Then you'll also not have to worry about rot and wood destroying insects that you can't see the damage when wrapped in metal.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Any wood used to support metal cladding should be pressure treated but may be necessary to protect the metal from the treated wood.

The straight joints of metal wrapped wood should be pretty obvious on a curved element. You should find a good example of this condition and see how it has weathered.

It seems to me that metal would not be cost effective since the cellular PVC holds paint so well and does not deteriorate. Have you really done a life-cycle cost analysis or are you just assuming metal is cheaper in the long run?

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler