Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stash_hdy

How can I find estimated cost per sqft to build a home

stash-hdy
14 years ago

My home insurance has stated that the replacement value for my home is low. They raised the value 20% based on a higher cost per square foot to rebuild the home. Is there a place I could go to see what the estimated cost per square foot is to replace a home in a suburb of Dallas, Texas.

Comments (11)

• macv
    14 years ago

Google RS Means Residential Cost Data in both square foot and unit formats. They provide tables for location adjustments.

• terry_t
    14 years ago

RS Means is a very good source but you should also confirm what level of finish your insurance co. is basing their assessment on. Are they basing their value on your specific house or on an average builder grade house? $$$/sq ft is a nebulous concept as it all depends on your finish products. Higher end products such as granite vs countertops, stone tile, 3/4" hardwood flooring, pro appliances, masonry fireplace, and so on, all contribute to raising the sq foot costs.

• stash-hdy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Terry thanks for the level of finish comment. I'm meeting with the insurance co this afternoon and I will test their assumptions. There value comes out to $96 per square foot up 23% from last year. Googled and found many articles that support this increase all from insurance companies.

• sue36
    14 years ago

Insurance replacement is higher than the cost to build new. You need to factor in tear down, disposal of waste, etc.

• nycefarm_gw
    14 years ago

You shouldn't have to rebuild the foundation or footers...

• stash-hdy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Met with the agent, the level of finish used was standard. What I did find was that the program they use is based on a square footage cost for the area, $96 per sq ft. Played with options and moved the assessment very little. The agent had to use the number the program generated. Next steps????

Thanks for all the input.

• sue36
    14 years ago

After a complete fire loss you do need to replace the foundation or footers.

• macv
    14 years ago

Demolition and disposal are not major expenses and houses rarely burn to the ground so replacement cost should not be as much as new construction which is why the rate is $96/s.f. That wouldn't build much in the Boston area.

• stash-hdy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dallas has always been known for homes that are cheaper to build. When I bought the home in 1995 the cost was $75 per square foot. Resells sell in my area today for the high $90 per square foot. The limited info that I have is that the cost per square foot for new and resell is much less here than other metro areas.
    I grew up in the north east and the quality and workmanship is much less here in Dallas.
    I myself just remodeled my entire house I could write a book on the issues I found and corrected, framing, sheetrock, insulation, plumbing, trim, flashing, etc.
    You get what you pay for.
    Thanks again

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"After a complete fire loss you do need to replace the foundation or footers."

Not generally true.

You often have to dig and expose them and show they meet the current building code.
    If they meet the current requirements you can use them, otherwise they need to be replaced.

If they are more than 20-30 years old they are not as likely to meet code, and if they are very old (80+ years) they are very unlikely.

• sue36
    14 years ago

Remember, the amount the house is insured for assumes total loss, so the covered amount would include replacement of foundation/footers. I know a few people who lost houses to fire, and they replaced the foundations.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!