Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with roof color

Posted by ChristyGJ (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 13:46

Hi everyone! First time poster but a long time reader. We have broken ground on our new home and it's time to choose a roof. Our builder recommends Certainteed Landmark (with the 30 year warranty) The exterior will be James Hardi Color Plus smooth lap in Monterey Taupe and trim in Navajo Beige. The columns, front door and shutters in the dark brown Behr stain and the stone is Centurion Bucks County. Attached is a pic of all the colors together. Now for the question -- do we go with the color weather wood or the color driftwood. Weather wood seems a little light but the driftwood may pull too much gray. Any thoughts or other suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with roof color

I have heard going with dark roofs substantially makes it hotter in the summer. Two different roofers have todl me this. Otherwise, I would have wanted a dark roof too.

Another thing I have learned is the picture of the roof on the brochure is the accurate color! The roof tile I had in my hand looked like it couldn't possibly be the same color as the brochure. Up close the tile had different colors and looked like a dark grey tweed and in the brochure it looked light grey. We went with it based on what the tile looked like when we propped it on our porch but when we got it on our roof it was light grey like in the brochure. I was very disappointed.

o
RE: Need help with roof color

We have certainteed Driftwood. It has quite a bit of blue/gray. Our house is a dark green, cream trim and black windows. Weathered wood is common in our area and we wanted something different than the neighbors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here