Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Three things you wish were included more, in floor plans

lavender_lass
10 years ago

I know we've all talked about what we do NOT like in floor plans, but what are three things you wish you saw more often?

For me...

1. Screened porches

2. Kitchen tables with comfy seating

3. Cozier master bath with claw foot tub

Comments (16)

• dpusa
    10 years ago

1. Larger laundry room for me.
    2. Large secondary bedrooms
    3. Big walk in pantrys

• jeff2013
    10 years ago

1. Playroom / gameroom ( for small kids and teens)
    2. Kitchen island
    3. Staircase

We have none in our current house of 1600 sqft. So those are on the top of the list of desired features in our new build with twice of the living area.

Lavender, Thank you for all the help with my kitchen layout. Wish you and your husband the best! JF

• User
    10 years ago

Ample closets!

Almost none of the stock plans I looked at had enough closet space, for guests' coats, family coats, nor in the bedrooms.

If you live in snow country, you need all kinds of closets. :)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Mudrooms, entryways, foyers. You need a place to take off coats, shoes, and put stuff down.

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

A Mom corner/command center - mine his hidden behind the kitchen between the pantry and laundry room. I have a nice long 8 foot built in desk with cabinetry and file drawers, pull out printer etc...so my clutter is out of sight!

Dropzone for backpacks, shoes, jackets

1st floor playroom/game room - Then I always know what is going on in the game room - no fear of upstairs teenage makeout sessions....:) The other benefit is that people aren't walking upstairs with food to watch the big game/movie. If its on the first floor, food is within reach in the kitchen.

Outdoor spaces - seating, fireplaces

Pam

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

1) For multi-story homes, a home elevator. (Or at least stacked closets so that a home elevator could be easily installed at a later date)

2) Have the major rooms located in the corners so that they can have windows on two walls.

3) Masterbaths with curbless showers

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

1)Windows on two sides

2)Layers of lighting

3)Fireplace or two

4)A good focal point in each room (fireplace, windows, window seat)

5)Play room for young children near to kitchen and a teenage area on another floor (yes we will watch out for the make-out sessions LOL).

6)In floor heat where possible

7)Decent size mudroom for main family entry including a drop zone.

8)huge laundry room if you have a family (ours will have two washers!!).

Carol

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

A real foyer large enough to greet a few people and to chat with them while they take off/put on coats & shoes.

• njasmine1
    10 years ago

1. More closet space.

2. 6 foot whirlpool bath tub

3. Bigger pantry.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

porches on all 4 sides of house.

plans that include locating heating system
    & ducts with in conditioned space

no recessed lights.

can I add a 4th...because it is outside
    the house area?

greenhouse.

• wishiwasinoz
    10 years ago

-More storage
    -In 2 story homes, a small area in the master closet for a washer/dryer & an upstairs laundry room. I hate more than anything the laundry room right off the garage that serves as laundry room & catch-all for everything (been there, done that, never doing that again). Or the dank basement laundry room.
    -Elimination of formal living rooms & dining rooms

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Tried to answer this into head as it was loading.

Lavender! I was shocked to see claw foot tub on any list! Yeah, we think alike!

1. Claw foot tub
    2. Big pantry
    3. Large farm functioning mud/laundry room

Bonus: master downstairs, vaulted room, no deticated dining room, large closets

Jen

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

Bigger laundry room.

More countertop space in the kitchen.

Ample room in the living room for furniture.

WHen we were looking for our floorplan, so many of them had very small laundry rooms. We finally took a plan we mostly liked and redid the kitchen/pantry/laundry area.

• view_west
    10 years ago

1) In general more attention to include advice from Christopher Alexander et al's A Pattern Language where appropriate.

Of those, these two patterns:

2) Habitable roof spaces, 117. Sheltering roof. The roof as an integral part of the habitable building - not placed on like a hat on top of a cubic form as with typical roof truss construction.

A roof should be more than a lid. Rather it should wrap the house and appeal to our innate need for safe shelter. The edges of roofs should overlap the building. The roof should be "lived" in, i.e. part of the roof should be walls / ceiling of some rooms.

3) 159. Light on two sides of every room

This pattern, perhaps more than any other single pattern, determines the success or failure of a room. The arrangement of daylight in a room, and the presence of windows on two sides, is fundamental. If you build a room with light on one side only, you can be almost certain that you are wasting your money. People will stay out of that room if they can possibly avoid it. Of course, if all the rooms are lit from one side only, people will have to use them. But we can be fairly sure that,they are subtly uncomfortable there, always wishing they weren't there, wanting to leave - just because we are so sure of what people do when they do have the choice.

Light on two sides:

vs. light on one side:

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Three things I wish there were more of in the plan posted here:

1. Less
    2. More less
    3. Even more less

Mies was right when he said, "less is more"!

Just a thought.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Lavender_lass,

This is way off topic, but do you think you could visit on my thread on the home decorating forum., please? I am having trouble arranging furniture and incorporating a window seat in my great room. I know how much you like window seats and I value your opinion.

Carol

Now back to the topic. Sorry all!