Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmlivin6

Help with House Plans...Please!!:)

farmlivin6
9 years ago

My name is Jennifer. I have never posted a question....but have been here many many times:) We need some advice on a house plan that my husband drew up on autocad. He said he's done with all my changes. Lol! Lol is probably not even appropriate considering what I have put him thru the last few months!!:( I am wanting to add an open loft (with barn doors to close it off for privacy if needed) above the kitchen with the stairs being in the kitchen as well. I am attaching the pic of our plan and a pic of what I am wanting to do. The house as of now is around 2500 sq. ft.heated/cooled. We don't want to add a whole lot more if possible. The stairs would come up where the corner pantry closest to the foyer is so that pantry would be taken out. Also need a front and back rendering of what the house would look like with a simple roof line and covered front and back porches! Thanks so Much, Jen

Comments (4)

• farmlivin6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Barn doors like I want on loft

• farmlivin6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's how I would like the stairs and loft to look

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

It looks like you are missing the doors into the hallways -- or do you have to go through the master bedroom to get to the room to the left of the foyer? And can you only get to the rooms on the right by going through the sunporch/family room? It also looks like there is a lot of space wasted on hallways.

Also, there are no closets near the front door or the garage -- do you live in an extremely mild climate? If not, you will want somewhere to hang coats.

Which bath with guests use?

If you use the entire space under the stairs for the pantry, you'll get a lot more storage.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

What is your budget?
    When do you plan to start building?

============
    Those long halls are killing the layout by wasting space and creating bad traffic flow.

I strongly suggest that you spend a lot more time looking at professional house plans that have the size and features you want, concentrating on how traffic flows through the house and how the components are laid out in relation to each other.

Do your planning on paper if your husband is "sick of the changes", or learn AutoCAD yourself, but this plan is not livable. It may be buildable, but you'll hate it within a week.

As I read it, the ONLY way to get to that bedroom to the right of the entrance is to go out onto the porch (that upper long room), then into and down that long hallway? And there is no way to get into the room to the left of the entrance without going through the MBR and down the hall?

To get to the closet you have to walk through the master bath .. which means if you want to get dressed and husband is using the toilet ... ????

If you are a guest and need to use the toilet ... you use the one at lower left by going out onto the porch, into the MBR, across the MBR, through a door, down a hall and through another door to the bath? Or you go out to the porch, into the right-side hallway and to the bath?

You have THREE bedrooms sharing a single toilet+shower room while the favored child across the house gets a full bath to him/herself?

Walk through ordinary living tasks, like I did with the using the toilet, and see how far you have to walk, and how it "works". See what it takes to get a queen mattress and box spring into any room.

========
    Just tacking up a loft over the kitchen complicated the build and adds the expense without helping the living area.

For the 5 bedrooms you apparently want, a standard 2-story house would work better.