Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbergenty

Layout Suggestions

bbergenty
9 years ago

We had to flip our house plan, and it has an impact, as the view is out of the top left corner of the attached document. This has had some impact on how we intend to use the space, which was somewhat of a question to start. Our original intent was to have 2 areas flowing out of the kitchen, as an "adult area" and "kids area." These areas are denoted as "Hearth Room" and "Dining Room" although those names are misleading. The space was kept as open as possible to allow for flexibility.

We are a mid-30s couple with a 2 y/o and hoping for at least one more. So, right now, we'd like an area that can be used for play. Since we just got our permit, it is early enough in the process for interior modifications. It is likely that at least one of the fireplaces will be eliminated (both were specced as gas, so no impact on the foundation). Kitchen shown is a placeholder, and the actual kitchen design that we currently have is similar but not the same. However, think of the areas besides the powder room and laundry room as a blank slate.

No offense will be taken, and please provide suggestions to help us create an effective use of space!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not sure I understand why flipping the floorplan would have affected the way you use the interior. I'm assuming by "flipping" you mean a left-right mirror image and I don't see why that would have any impact.

Perhaps you could explain a bit more about how you originally envisioned using the space (pre-flip) and why that no longer works. Or, you might talk a bit more about how you WANT the house to work.

For example, do you entertain frequently? If so, how will you feel about guests having to walk thru the kitchen and "dining room" in order to reach the powder room? Do you want/need a formal dining room? (I'm guessing that is the room you're currently thinking would be the kids play area.)

Will it bother you that adult guests will be able to see the kid's play area when it is messy? Are you hoping that adults can gather for quiet conversation in one part of the house while the children play in another? If so, having the entire downstairs pretty much open may not work too well as there will be nothing to block sound.

Do you envision eating most family meals sitting at the kitchen bar? Assuming you will someday be a family of four, do you really want to eat all your meals lined up like birds on a wire? Wouldn't it be better to be able to see one another and talk while you eat??? Also, there are many negatives to having one's cooktop on an island...especially one with seating on the backside of the cooktop. Since you have a small child and hope to have one more, you might want to consider whether getting your cooktop into a more "out of the way" spot might be a good idea. And, I see your fridge and dishwasher and cooktop, but where is your oven? microwave? Where will you keep the coffeepot? For a fairly large house, the kitchen seems to have very little countertop work space.

Does the side door (by the laundry room) lead to the garage? How far will you have to carry big bags of groceries?

Having the front door open towards the stairs instead of towards the great room seems odd to me. When guests come in, they have to hunker in the corner by the stairs until you close the front door. I'd probably flip it so it opens the other way.

Unless you really want a window in the laundry room, consider flipping the laundry room and powder room. Then you could have a pocket door leading into the powder room from the foyer as well a swinging door from the "mud room." Then guests wouldn't have to traipse quite so far to reach the bathroom.

It seems odd to me to have a hearth room right next to a great room. I'd designate the room at the back left as a dining room and get rid of the fireplace there completely. If you want a fireplace, move it so that it is between the two side windows in the great room. I'd put a wall between the room you currently call the hearth room and the kitchen. Maybe use a 36 in wide pocket door or two 28" wide pocket doors between the two. Then you could open up the doors for flow when you wanted that or close them to contain kiddy noise if you wanted to entertain adults in another area of the house.

With a wall dividing the kitchen from the dining area, you could wrap the kitchen cabinets around in an L and push the island closer to the current dining room. I'd turn that room into the hearth room which I would use as a play area for the children while they're small. When the kids get bigger, that room is far enough from the great room that it would still be possible for teens to entertain their friends back in that room while adults gather in the great room.

And, before you settle on a corner fireplace, think carefully about how you plan to furnish the room. Corner fireplaces can make arranging furniture difficult. I know, I have one and, while I'm satisfied with the way I have my furniture arranged in the room, I do feel that I am LOCKED in to a single arrangement. I wished more than once that I'd put the fireplace along one wall so I had more flexibility.

• bbergenty
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

1) Flipped plan changed the views out of the house, which are very nice.

2) Open, flowing design with 2 areas off of central kitchen area (one "adult", one "kid" that can be altered as they grow older).

3) Yes, we entertain. Don't care about walking through the current layout, as it wasn't too far. Don't need a formal dining room, but maybe an area for a dining table and chairs, but that's not necessary.

4) No, we don't mind, and it's preferable to be able to see the other rooms. Don't care about noise.

5) Our existing island has a 4'+ section on the end with non in-line seating, so this isn't a problem. Stove is along the wall, as is the double/speed oven assembly and the refrigerator. There is also a planned area with with a full-size beverage cooler, espresso machine, and secondary sink along the exterior wall. The island is 10' by 5', and there are 2 other countertops, so plenty of workspace.

6) Yes, enters the garage. Approximately 16' to the pantry from the garage, 20' to the end of the island which could be used as a drop area.

7) Good suggestion.

8) Need the window for symmetry on the front of the house, but the suggestion has merit, and we'll investigate.

9) All comments based on fireplaces should be referred to my initial statement of "It is likely that at least one of the fireplaces will be eliminated (both were specced as gas, so no impact on the foundation)."

Thanks for the response. We're thankful for any comments. But please note the initial comments to think of the area as effectively a blank slate, since right now the only real loss is the scrapping of our kitchen plan, which is no big deal at all.