Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wishiwasinoz

My landscaping is $7-8k over budget (with a little drama). Ideas?

wishiwasinoz
10 years ago

We are building a 4,600 square foot house on an acre lot. The landscape designer I initially used made what I thought was a beautiful design (formal linear English garden in the front, very pretty & matches our home style). LD#1 knew our budget & came in about $10k over budget after it was said & done (this includes lighting & irrigation). We got her down a little to $8k over our budget, which is still nauseating. She is a small-time designer & really puts her heart into her work.

GC wanted another opinion from his regular landscape co. They are a very large company in town. LD#2 really blasted her design & choice of plants, lack of sod (with more pine straw in areas). They came back, & lo & behold, they are $7k over budget.

I honestly want to put their 2 designs in a blender & meld them together. LD#1 has no idea GC got a 2nd opinion, & I think would have extremely hurt feelings if we did not use her.

Another caveat, LD#2 quoted empire zoysia (48 pallets, Geez!) at $275/pallet installed, which seems outrageous. I made some calls & can get it down to $200/pallet installed with an instant savings of $3,600 (plus $5 back for each wooden pallet I return). Is it okay to have LD#2 back the sod out & I get that done on my own? Would a GC agree to this? To me, sod is a minor detail, as long as it has a good guarantee.

How do I navigate between these 2 subs? I think LD#2 generally offers more plants for the money, especially when I back the sod out. What do I do with LD#1? It is a small enough town that I don't want to go p!ssing her off (more so, I like her a lot & don't want to hurt her).

Amy thoughts? Suggestions? An extra $8k you want to throw this way?

Comments (18)

• rrah
    10 years ago

You have an easy out--the budget. Simply explain to her that you love the design, but it is out of your budget, and you thought you had made the budget clear. Then offer to pay for her time.

• User
    10 years ago

One thing you maybe aren't considering is ongoing maintenance issues. A beautiful English garden requires a beautiful English gardener full time to stay looking good. It's high maintenance. VERY high maintenance.

If you are somewhere that zoyzia is on the table, you really ought to look at centipede. It grows lower, slower, and rarely needs watering or mowing. Again, an ongoing expense issue. It's probably higher than the zoyzia to begin with, but quickly recoups that cost.

As far as choosing either designer, maybe move on and get a third quote. And go back to the original two with the idea of reducing the ongoing expense of the landscaping, not just the initial costs. The ongoing costs will quickly add up to more than 8K when you're talking paying for irrigation, mowing, and garden maintenance.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

If LD#1 knew your budget then why is her design over your budget? She should revise the design to meet your budget. For both LDs you would need to increase your budget or decrease your scope.

Can you get a two or three phase plan so that sod and larger plantings are done first, and the rest comes later? Or do a smaller area first and then expand later? I think it's unlikely you'll get more than you pay for from either LD. If each LD is providing different landscapes then I'm not sure how you can compare them based on cost, unless you're just looking at coverage area without considering the design.

If LD#1 is a professional then she must make decisions based on financial considerations and ought not have hurt feelings if you do, too. If your reason to go with LD#2 is "more plants for the money" then that's what you tell LD#1. If you like her and want to stay on good terms then be honest, and it couldn't hurt to refer other people to her if her design is really good.

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

How much of LD 1 budget is sod? Maybe you can get to your budget with this design without the sod, and sees in the spring? Or you can get sod for front only? Are you sodding a whole acre?
    Is you remove the sod, maybe you can circle just the things in her plan you want to keep. I would think that would get you under budget enough to do some of the seeding and a few of LD 2 things that you love?

I would like to add that sometimes the things that you may not like may be what makes the other stuff work. I use to love jewel tones for example and didn't like these grasses and hostas as they were too boring. When I analyze the landscape pictures that I love, I notice they have a lot of the grasses, ferns, hostas, etc. They really allow the colors I love to POP! Now I love these things, but I think it is also because I understand they are necessary to my overall look :)

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you rrah, holly springs, & nostalgicfarm!

Some more background information:

The LD#1 would have been closer to my original budget, but she designed the plan according to ARB regulations that changed literally 3 days after we closed on the lot. She never got the updated regulations (more trees of a higher caliper). She does take ownership of missing that, but ultimately the expense goes to us on the $$$ trees.

We must have the sod in when we take ownership of the house, as well as all the landscaping complete. There are probably extra plantings I could thin out a little bit from LD#2 plan to bring it down.

I spoke with the GC's supervisor & he said he doesn't want me to get the sod done separately for warranty issues (either LD will put in the sprinkler - there will be pointing of fingers if sod fails). We will have a well, so cost of irrigation will not be an issue. Also, we are in FL, so appropriate plants for this region will be planted - we're not trying to duplicate an English garden in its entirety. There will also be no roses due to a very hungry deer population. :-(

I do understand it will be higher maintenance than just sod & some bushes & trees. I will do most of the lawn work 8-9 mos. out of the year & bring in a service monthly to assist with trimming of the bushes & trees, etc. I enjoy this & part of the plan of having the front garden was so I would have it as my hobby.

LD#1 has 16 pallets of sod in the plan & LD#2 has 48 pallets! LD#2 has more plants, too. Clearly a better value dollar for dollar but still over budget.

We will need to back some items out & get the sod cost down a few grand. I wish seeding was possible, but it's not where we live.

Thank you again for the great feedback!

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

How much is the sod total with either designer? If the sod is already close to your budget, then it would be unfair to assume you would get much else....even if you were planting it yourself. They are also installing sprinkler systems? How much is that? I am guessing sprinklers and sof are more than your budgeted amount?
    I am unfamiliar with ARB. But then again, my husband would shoot me if I had anybody else plant more than a few choice special trees on my 60 acres! Then he would have to raise the 3 kid lets himself....LOL

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Do what you have to do to comply with your (HOA?) requirements. Find out how much that will be. If you want to do the extra expense of the gardens, then increase the budget. If you don't want to spend more, then I would have the designers make a 'phase' landscaping plan. Phase 1...trees, sod, irrigation, foundation planting. Phase 2...the English gardens and formal design (just be sure to account for this with irrigation system or have it easy to add). Phase 3...the back yard?

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There isn't much of a backyard. We pushed the house back pretty far to account for the gardens (plus we have a large pool area & two rear covered patio areas. We also have a gate that will be at the very front near the street (the concrete frame is already up). The podocarpus will start at the end of each side of the gate & will make a linear box around the front of the house (like a boxwood hedge). I fear we have backed ourselves into a corner, a bit since the foundation of the gate is already erected. Maybe we could have the podocarpus line the front of the house & do away with more of the innards of the front garden. We can still have the paver pathways, but sod everything in that area & leave the foundation plantings be. It would look pretty bare, IMHO. DH will also not be happy. He is very practical & does not like thing done in stages. He wants to know the total $ first thing without any surprises.

The sod is a little more than 1/3 of the budget. Irrigation is $5k (I think this is high, want to get another bid).

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For clarification, the ARB is essentially the HOA.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Maybe post your preferred design on the landscaping forum if you haven't and see if anyone can come up with a more affordable variation on it. They're pretty good over there.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/design/

• User
    10 years ago

ARB = Architectural Review Board?

A designer should be able to work out a phased plan that can pass inspection and be "fluffed out" later.

If they are requiring a certain number of trees and a "finished" landscape before you can move in ... give them the minimum number of trees and the minimum amount of sod and the minimum number of plants. Put the rest in mulch.

Have the sprinkler system installed and laid out so you can water the installed sod and add more later by turning on more sections.

Add more trees later.

Drop the size of any shrubs to as low as you can, decrease the number of them and add more later, and consider using less expensive species with a similar look. If you are planning a formal English look, plant the corners of the beds now and fill in with annuals.

See what that does to the budget.

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lazygardens, you have ARB right.

We cut out the backyard fluff except for some trees & magically, the landscaper cut $4,500 off from the sod! I sent a very direct e-mail stating I could get the sod for $195 a pallet installed (they were at $275/pallet). Suddenly, they were able to "negotiate with the sod farm," & are able to provide it at $190/pallet installed. What BS I think.

They did cut quite a bit out of the front to get us to our number. I am requesting that be added back in, but not at that price. Since they lowered the sod almost 45%, I'm sure there is more wiggle room on the plants. If we are $1,500 over on the budget, I can swallow that. Not $7k though.

• User
    10 years ago

They did cut quite a bit out of the front to get us to our number. I am requesting that be added back in, but not at that price.

A fast way to lower the materials price is to use smaller plants - 1 gallon instead of 5 gallon, 5 gallon instead of 15 gallon - and in a couple of years you can't tell the difference. Also, the planting cost is less, because the holes are smaller.

It will look sparse for a bit longer, but the smaller plants have been "in the can" a shorter time and recover from planting trauma faster.

Use a few larger ones in the critical places, such as at the gate, at the corners, and it will look like you meant to do it that way.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

If two landscapers have gone over budget, I suspect you may have a classic case of "champagne taste and beer budget". That is, you have asked for too much for the amount you're willing to spend. An acre is pretty small, but if you're starting with nothing, the cost can add up.

Fortunately, I see multiple options:

- Several people have suggested looking at this in phases. Right now get the trees and shrubs and hardscape . . . add in bulbs, etc. as the years go by.

- Do some of the work yourself. Get them to put in the paths, etc., but do what you can yourself. Planting trees and shrubs is hard work, but not beyond the ability of the average homeowner. Plus you'll get to pick the exact items you want from the nursery.

- Skip the sod and plant grass seed. Yes, sod gives you a complete yard in one single day, but grass seed'll get you to the same place, and it won't take all that long. Since sod is 1/3 of your budget, this one change could be "the fix".

- Go with smaller, younger trees and plants. The problem here, of course, is that it takes longer for them to take hold and "look like something".

- Or, if none of these "cutting back" options are appealing, you could raise your budget.

• User
    10 years ago

Seed produces a better looking lawn as well. But the key to success with seed is getting it sown at the right time for the type of grass. We're late enough in the season already that only winter rye might have success in making the association happy that you've got "grass". Good thing it's really cheap to do. And then you could do the "real" grass seed next summer when it heats up enough to germinate warm season grasses.

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish we could do seed. It just isn't possible with the grass we selected. Also, the grass has to be complete when we move in.

From the UF Extension:
    With one exception (not Empire Zoysia), zoysiagrasses must be planted vegetatively by sod, plugs, or sprigs.

I may request smaller plants on the inner courtyard, as that will be hidden mostly by the front gate & wall of podocarpus. That is a good idea. The landscape budget was set by one of the landscape subs, so i don't think it is out of line to want to stay in budget. I also just think the 2nd sub was trying to rip us a new one with the sod, so I am hesitant to trust them. Our GC really doesn't want us to DIY anything. He offers basically a lifetime warranty on the home (his quality of workmanship, not the obvious like normal wear & tear), & he wants all work done by his subs so he can guarantee his work. I definitely am capable of doing the shrub plantings, if I could get him to agree to it.

My brother is a small builder in another part of the state. He said in our price-range, most people get ripped off because the subs get away with overcharging, the GCs tolerate it, & the homeowners don't always do their homework.

I have reached out to a third landscaper for a quote. If she comes back high, then we will cross that bridge.

This post was edited by wishiwasinoz on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 10:42

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The original LD wanted our job so much, she is lowering her price considerably, bringing us much closer to budget. We had a little extra buffer money the GC initially set aside, so that will cover the rest. Thank you all for your feedback & assistance!

• dadereni
    10 years ago

I always appreciate when the OP gives an update like this. Thanks!