Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts on pouring foundation in the rain?

Posted by gobruno (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 13:17

I was wondering if anybody poured their foundation while it was raining or while there was intermittent rain. Is it ok? We're looking at possibly pouring when it's not raining, but rain is schedule for the 2 days following the pour. I've read some articles that say that it's a good thing bc it helps the concrete to cure, and others say that it's not good. Any thoughts or experience with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts on pouring foundation in the rain?

A gentle, consistent mist-rain is a wonderful thing to happen AFTER the pour.

The sky's water is difficult to measure and would affect the overall consistency, which means the finished quality would be affected, especially if the mix has additives. (see link for one discussion on the subject)

I can't think of any concrete company that would attempt a pour during the rain, although I know of at least one guy who drove up and sat with the mixer churning, waiting for the "intermittent" during a week of rain. OTOH, a small pour would be possible if the area was under cover, such as having a tarp tented over that covers both the form and the dispensing tube.

Here is a link that might be useful: pouring concrete during rain

o

As long as you don't try to pour concrete in the rain, you'll be fine. Concrete sets up fairly quickly, but, if there is a chance off a downpour in the couple of hours before it sets up, you should be able to protect it with a roll of visqueen. After the initial pour it's good to have the concrete wet. In fact, whenever I have poured slabs, and had the time, I have flooded them with water on a daily basis and kept them covered with visqueen to help them cure for a couple of weeks.

o

What do you mean by 'foundation'?

Are you talking about a footing?

A slab on grade?

Formed concrete foundation walls?

ICFs?

Something else?

Your answer will determine whether or not one should or could pour the 'foundation' in the rain...

o

Here in the mojave, in the summer months, we would berm up the perimeter of the slab the day after the pour and let a rain bird run for about a week or so. The slab would have a measurable amount of water being held by the berms. This allowed the crete to cure slowly, not too fast from the heat. We would then wait at least a week before framing on it after removal of the rain bird. Rain would always have been welcome, but kinda rare here in the desert, especially in the summer months. The purpose of keeping it wet is to slow the curing process, although concrete is always a curin', relativly speaking. Some concreter's would simply just fire up the rain bird without berming which i'm sure was effective as well.

If it's not all that warm where you are pouring and you are getting close to freezing temps at night, I wouldn't be too concerned keeping the slab all that wet, definetely not flooded.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here