Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_halfacre

Which tradesperson helps me coordinate all the specs?

Exterior trim, siding, shingles, brick, concrete color, porch stain, deck stain, etc.

That's only exterior. I haven't even started inside yet.

Comments (11)

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

A designer? That's who we met with, I suppose it depends on the person. Ours provided full construction drawings as well but they could just consult too if you already had those.

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

The professional who does this is called an architect.

Good luck with your project.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Either the General Contractor or the Architect.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

"The professional who does this is called an architect."

LOL, simple concepts sometimes the hardest to understand :)

• redheadeddaughter
    9 years ago

mrshalf: All these decisions were left to us as the home owners. Occasionally a material was recommended based on code requirements, but all the design details and colors will be picked out by you. There are some great interior designers who could likely provide a consultation for you and touch on all these points. In our interview process... Not all architects provide this, some designers do, and most drafters don't.

That said, if you find a talented GC, they can sometimes narrow the selections down very quickly based on experience (roof color, etc.).

It can be overwhelming, but fun too!

• Stephanie Halfacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

virgilcarter, I think you are a smartie !~

So, I hired an architect and he drew the plans wonderfully however, he did not decide what style doors, what type of flooring, what kind of countertops, etc.

My builder is helpful in that he says this may not be a good option and my husband is knowledgeable having been in the business as well.
    These folks do not, however, have an eye for color or tile choices, for how a cabinet and countertop or the exterior color will look with a certain deck stain.
    I read this on another thread..."Consistent styling in your whole home choices is what keeps a home from feeling "off" and not really being able to place your finger on "why"."

So who helps with "consistent styling" a designer?

Our local building supply has a woman but she's mostly saying yes to whatever I choose. I want someone to look at the catalog I go to for inspiration - (the Pottery Barn spring 2012 one, lol) and help me pick specifics that will get me close as possible to that design.

• Stephanie Halfacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

redheadeddaughter -
    it is fun, but it is also stressful in that I have never done this before and am not sure how everything is going to look once it is bigger than the sample, kwim?

I can put two samples together and decide if I like something or not but to visualize how they will look with the other things I've chosen once they're all in place is a definite challenge.

How much effort did you put into this part of the process? I mean, reading design books/hiring a decorator/making a design scheme for cohesiveness/??? It seems like that's quite a skill.

I get that this element is why some homes just look "off" and others just gel perfectly. I want to know HOW they managed to do the latter?

This post was edited by mrshalf on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 22:10

• jdez
    9 years ago

Mrshalf - I think you are wanting an interior designer to help you out. I didn't use one because I just chose things I liked and hoped they worked. I have heard that a good interior designer is worth every penny. I think they charge by the hour.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

GardenWeb -- here or head on over to Decorating.

Seriously, though, our local architect offered some opinions but for the most part we made all the finishing selections with some assistance from the original designer and a lot of time spent on GW and houzz. One way is to set the main things you have envisioned for your house and then focus on making the rest "play nice." I do think it is useful as much as possible to have things selected at the same time. Good luck!

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

Experienced architects can certainly work with you to evaluate and select all interior materials and finishes, as well as FFE (furniture, fixtures and equipment). Who better knows and can envision the concept and purpose of the specific design for the house than the professional who created it?

You have to request this service and pay for their time and expertise. Many consumers just want the most basic of floor plans and stop there.

Of course, there are some architects who don't want to do interiors or cannot do it well. That's why initial interviews and a check of previous projects are important.

Alternatively, an experienced interior designer can also offer design services for the interior. The challenge is to find one who understands and will respect the overall architectural concept and design, rather than ignoring it and simply doing her/his own thing at the expense of the architectural design and character for the home.

The strongest design solution is the one where the architecture, interiors and landscaping are all in harmony together!

Going to a "tradesperson" is simply going to a retail sales person, "in the trade", for some product or other for which they get commissions for what they sell. Hardly an educated and experienced designer or impartial advisor!

Good luck on your project.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

No tradesperson. A professional. As in one who practices a profession based on education and certification. An interior designer. Not a ''decorator''. Look for a local ASID or IDS chapter. Or a local pro through word of mouth. Or Houzz. And check credentials.