Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wxtrender

What level of perfection is realistic?

wxtrender
9 years ago

So we have finally gotten to the end of the game with the builder. We are waiting on counter tops in kitchen and baths and also waiting on installation of the railing on the stairs. Everything else is basically done except the carpet.

So the builder asked us to take blue tape and put pieces of tape in each room on the walls to identify dings, dents and so on.

So we spent an hour yesterday going through the house putting little pieces of tape on the walls. We put tape on obvious nail pops, dents and dirty fingerprints and other marks on the walls, of course when we were done there were probably 500 pieces of tape on the walls. We didn't even mark where joint compound was on the windows and sills and the hardwood floor is all marked up as well with mostly paint which can be cleaned. The trim work all needs sanding and repainting from the wood filler used to cover the nails.
So the question is were we excessive in expecting walls which are to be smooth to actually have walls that are smooth? We even used a flat paint on the walls to help hide slight imperfections. Needless to say we got an irate text from the builder this morning claiming that in his 27 years he has never..blah blah blah...
We have built 5 houses over the and up till now I have never had such a difficult builder here in the closing weeks.

Comments (10)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Did you specify a Level 5 finish from the beginning? If not, and it wasn't planned for from the beginning, 500 issues is excessive. A builder standard Level 4 finish isn't going to be perfect by a long shot.

• User
    9 years ago

I'd probably have to see pictures before I could comment.

I got a level 4 finish too (allegedly), although there are many spots which were pretty bad. This ended up being one of those battles I decided to let go. But then I know I'm a perfectionist too. So as time permits I've been fixing all the areas that bugged me.

My hunch is LWO hit the heart of your issue. Were you expecting a level 5 finish but spec'ed a level 4?

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

What are these levels you speak of?

• jdez
    9 years ago

I too have never heard of these finishing levels. I wouldn't be worried about dirty fingerprints and small dings. That is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, at least to me. I am not sure how this part of the process works as we are our own GC and we have done most of the finishing ourselves. If your builder was that upset, can you meet with him and talk about your issues face to face and come up with some kind of compromise? That seemed to work best with our builder in the early stages of construction. Hope you can work it out.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

My best friend's Ex was a superintendent for a local high end custom home builder. He would often complain about the "2 rollers" on days he had them. As in they used an entire 2 rolls of blue tape to mark all the mistakes. But he fixed them all every time. Maybe you hit your builder on a bad day. Good luck.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Level 4 humpty dumpty bumpty is standard with most builds. With flat paint. Level 5 baby bottom smooth is a pretty big upcharge here, because most drywallers don't have the skills to do it. Only really upper end builds get finished to Level 5, and the price is almost double.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 levels of finish

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Ok, so we are just talking level of drywall finish. I got level 5. I have never even heard of this but we had the thin skimcoat applied evenly over the entire wall. I actually thought that was the primer initially. The things we learn on GW...

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

The "2 rollers" were for the entire house. Marking light switches that were "clicky", dirty windows, scratches, spots on the floors. Pretty much anything that was not 100% perfect. Not just walls. You may have gotten a little excessive marking 500 spots on just the walls, or alternately your drywaller sucked really bad.

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

Perfection? Was your house built by human hands? If so, there is no perfection. On the other hand, there should be good workmanship, which varies radically job by job and region by region.

All work should equal or exceed the standards for the given trade. Everything specified in your owner-builder contract should be provided, installed and completed according to the contract terms.

If you really used 500 pieces of tape just for partition work, then either you are very picky or your framer and dry wall trades did a really bad job. What about the punch-list for the rest of the construction project? Is the rest of the construction as deficient as the partition work?

From what you write, it seems you and your builder are very far apart. Sounds like an on-site discussion is needed with a full punch-list in hand.

Good luck on your project.

• April_in_SE_Texas
    9 years ago

I read a difference in your statement. The builder asked for "dints and dings" and "on the walls".
    You found 500, but beyond the walls, to floors and not all dints and dings and what I would call "structural" but "cosmetic" needing cleaning, touch ups, etc.
    The input he was asking for is in the material, it seems and what you are offering back is perhaps his personal sloppiness along with that.
    I would reconsider what he was asking for, and perhaps hire a professional cleaner to remove the residue of the builder's passing, once he is complete.
    That way, he does his job, building. And you also get what you wanted.Make sense?
    ANOTHER great idea? Ask someone else, a family member, friend, co worker to do the same as you did, and see what their results are.
    What that would let you know is if you had possibly been over critical or not, see. Two heads are better than one, and they may see things you overlooked.

Hope this helps.

What level of perfection is realistic? None, perhaps. Perfection , I can't see that in home building.
    But well-built vs shoddily done is found.
    re÷al÷is÷tic
    adjective
    having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected.
    "jobs are scarce at the moment, so you've got to be realistic"
    synonyms: practical, pragmatic, matter-of-fact, down-to-earth, sensible, commonsensical, grounded
    representing familiar things in a way that is accurate or true to life.
    "a realistic human drama"