Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Exterior Help Again...

amykath
9 years ago

I have been flip flopping about our exterior. Foundation is nearly complete. Here is a very rough mock up. I will also add my elevation photo and plans.

Thoughts? Suggestions? If it helps I live in the hill country outside of Austin.

Comments (28)

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plans of Elevation

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Layout so you can see what sets back and forward.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Looks like a small doctor/dental office.
    Casey

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We went over this before and my opinion hasn't changed...

• mrspete
    9 years ago

The exterior is too uniform. That is, across the board, it's the same height. It does kind of look like a business.

I'm interested in one thing in the interior: What's the deal with the kitchen behind the kitchen?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I have no problem with the single roofline. The nine-gabled multi-roof doesn't fit in with the overall look you are going for.

I think the thing that makes it look a bit commercial is the three evenly spaced narrow windows in the garage. I think there needs to be more window area there, or more interesting windows.

I would also consider making the small windows over to the left a continuous ribbon of windows. This can be planned to work straddling rooms on the interior. They do this on highrises all the time.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great ideas!

MrsPete, that is our butlers pantry. It is a place to store everything pantry wise, and the countertop types of appliances.

Here it is as of what we want now. Perhaps I will mock up some different windows.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pal, I tried the ribbon but it looks really strange. We have a large tree in front of that part of the house. I can definitely change the windows on the right to be larger. Should I keep all of the windows (other than the ones on the left) all glass or should I add some sort of mullions or make them single hung? I swear this is so difficult! So glad I have you guys.

Btw,please refer to my elevation photo as I have skewed many aspects of the house in my attempt with powerpoint.

Amy

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

How about something like this?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That looks nice. Not sure about all of the windows on the left. What do you think of it being all stone?

Thank you SO much for taking the time to do this!

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Any way to increase the pitch of the main body of the roof in back so as to get it high enough in back to do some clerestory windows in front? It would give it a more modern character, while the use of stone over the whole body grounds it in tradition. 'Scuse the quick Paint mockup.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Livewire, that would look lovely, but our budget is already been hit hard, so I do not think that would be possible.

Thanks for the thought and taking the time to draw it out for me!!

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

More quick doodles.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Could the windows to the left be made taller?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Here I pushed the garage windows to the corner, which is modernist and dropped the sill height of the other window near the door to floor level as well:

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all of the help Pal. I just don't think I can do all of those windows on the left. If anything I'd do the ribbon window. Our closet is on the left and need the wall space. Any other thoughts for the left side.

Thanks to you both Pal and live wire.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What are your thoughts on this?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think the weakest (possibly most medical office-looking) part of the façade is the three narrow evenly spaced windows in the garage. That's almost a high-70s brutalist detail. There was a medical office down my block (since demolished) that had an entire first floor façade of long narrow evenly spaced windows.

• User
    9 years ago

The mulled windows only make it worse. I do like the triple muntins that LWO showed in the vertical windows. That gives it a bit more punch while maintaining the modern form.

Could you add a small shed domer in the garage and repeat the small square windows from the left side in the dormer face? That would give you more visual interest and tie together the window forms and the entry shed roof. It would also give you a small logical area for a material change, so it could be board and batten. The forward facing main gable would also look much more modern as a large shed or flat roof rather than a gable.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think for me this is it. We have trees and will have landscaping in the front of the house. Some of the front will not even show. Sorry it cuts off the left hand side of the house.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

You don't want this, I don't think:

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No!!!!! That is awful!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Could you get these windows into some sort of better alignment or rhythm?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see what you mean Pal, Not sure why, but it doesn't bother me and there will be a huge tree covering them anyway. I have to mention the house sits very close to the street. That is one of the reasons for the smaller and fewer windows. We have nothing but huge windows in the back so we can enjoy our lake view and infinity pool.

I definitely will change the windows on the right. I also have my husband fighting me on certain changes. I really want to do 3 in row windows where the pantry is. He thinks it will take up too much wall space (I disagree).

I think this is my latest idea. Ignore the windows on the left and tell me what you think of the others.

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions. Thank you PAL! You have been so helpful.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I understand the closeness to the street and the high windows blank facade concept. My house is right on the sidewalk and has ceiling level windows on the first floor front, and a single window second floor front. But the third floor, set back, and not seen easily from the street is all glass and the back of the house has lots of glass. Im not really exaggerating the simplicity. The third floor sits behind a solid parapet, but is glass to the floor level.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting Pal. Do you have a photo of the exterior of your house? Very cool!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Sorry I don't post pictures of the exterior front online.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I understand. Thanks pal.