Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pittkol_gw

Need advise on window type and sizes

pittkol
10 years ago

We are about to break ground so I'm in the process of choosing windows and we are looking at Marvin Integrity Wood/Ultrex Casements vs. Double Hung. We are leaning towards casements because we like the look of them but when I see the size of these windows which were quoted from the plans, they seem huge. I spent a lot of time tweaking the floor plan with the architect but obviously not enough time considering the proper windows and size. First floor 9', second is 8'. Sandstone Lintels above.

1. Which would looks better, Double hung or Casement?
2. If I go with Casement, can I make the windows narrower without making them look out of proportion? It's hard to tell from picture but most on first floor are 3'X6' & upper floor 3'x5'.
3 I think I could also make the upstairs 4' instead of 5', or would that not look right?
4. Would a combination of both types be a good option. Casement in front with Double hung in back?

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Comments (9)

• pittkol
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Back of house.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

You need to make certain that the sizes you choose for the second floor bedrooms meet egress code, which in a casement would be approx 3' x 5' in a casement and 3'2" x 5'2" in a double hung depending on the brand you choose.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Emergency escape and rescue openings are required in bedrooms on all floors although the opening requirement is often slightly smaller for the ground floor.

To meet the requirement, a casement can be considerably smaller than a double hung. (2-6 x 3-6 vs 3-2 x 4-10)

• renovator8
    10 years ago

I don't understand why you would want to make the windows narrower if they are casements.

Casements can be the same size as the double-hung windows shown but if you think the casement mechanism is not adequate for such a large sash, use a double-hung and save some money. I would not advise using two narrow casements to fill the opening; that would put a large vertical post in the middle of a 3 ft wide window.

It is possible to use a "French casement" that has two sash that hinge on the sides and have no post in the middle but the double vertical sash jambs in the middle of your view are still unpleasant unless the overall width approaches is 4 ft. or greater.

In the past 40 years I have only used a casement for basement bedrooms with limited space for an emergency escape and rescue window or a French casement in a dormer with too little vertical height for a double-hung and/or where an awning window would not meet the emergency escape requirement.

• pittkol
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Reno,
    I was only thinking of making some of the casements 32" wide instead of 36". Like on the garage, if I make the single window 32"X64" or even 32"x60" instead of 32"x72" would that mess up the look of the front of the house. I'd also make the double casement on the garge smaller to match.
    I just think some of the windows are a little bigger than necessary and I'm still trying to figure out from an architectual perspective, which type of windows, hung or casement, goes best with the style of the house.
    I'm not even sure how to discribe the style of this house. Neo Eclectic I guess?

• pittkol
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Reno,
    I was only thinking of making some of the casements 32" wide instead of 36". Like on the garage, if I make the single window 32"X64" or even 32"x60" instead of 32"x72" would that mess up the look of the front of the house. I'd also make the double casement on the garge smaller to match.
    I just think some of the windows are a little bigger than necessary and I'm still trying to figure out from an architectual perspective, which type of windows, hung or casement, goes best with the style of the house.
    I'm not even sure how to discribe the style of this house. Neo Eclectic I guess?

• nanj
    10 years ago

If you modify window sizes without redrawing your elevations, the change in the proportions and design may disappoint you. We have sets of two 32 x 72 windows in our breakfast room, bedroom and office and they are absolutely not too big for the rooms. I wouldn't want them any smaller both from a proportion respect and from a daylight respect.

Long time readers of this forum read about the consequences of design changes made on the fly.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Why are you concerned about your windows? They look fine and well proportioned for the house, front and back. Are you trying to economize? If so, I'd find other ways to accomplish the goal. The windows are fine.

Double hung windows, as shown, are appropriate for a traditional house, albeit they may not be as energy efficient as casements.

Good luck with your project.

• pittkol
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, mainly to economize but also I just thought some of them were extremely large. I appreciate all the comments.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company