Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akshars_mom

Copper or Pex pipiing

akshars_mom
10 years ago

I know there is plumbing forum but it is a bit slow and also I want to hear what the folks building now are using.

In your new build are you using Copper or pex piping? Is there a reason you went with one over the other.

Our contract stated copper piping but the contractor is now asking if we want to use copper or pex? It is up to us he says.

I have read some online stuff and I see mixed reviews. So wanted to see what people hear are using.

We are in northern California (bay area) if that make any difference.

This post was edited by akshars_mom on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 12:33

Comments (13)

• galore2112
    10 years ago

PEX for a homerun system (preferred because it is very convenient to have a central manifold with individual shut offs. Also less prone to design mistakes)

Copper for a traditional plumbing layout.

• cblanco75
    10 years ago

I am doing an addition and I say PEX all the way. I love it so far :)

• LOTO
    10 years ago

PEX and then copper through the wall/floor to the shutoffs. It was my choice to use PEX and didn't consider copper.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Hi akshars_mom,

I assume your contractor has confirmed that pex would satisfy local requirements? Our location in the bay area does not allow "plastic plumbing" -- even for vents. We would have been fine with pex otherwise.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: some info on pex vs. copper

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oaktown,
    The contractor mentioned that in our city Pex will meet the local requirements starting last year. So this is new to the area and is what is causing me to hesitate.

The one thing I am a little concerned about Pex is that rodents can make holes in them. In our area rodents are not uncommon.

LOTO, Do you mean you used a combination of copper/PEX?

We need to let him know by tomorrow. So will have to decide soon.

• ace_
    10 years ago

he's saying that you can't run 100% pex

you have to have lengths of copper at certain points

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ace_tx, Thanks. I will need to talk to the plumber more before I decide.

• texas_cajun
    10 years ago

If it makes you feel any better, Pex has been used in Europe since the 1960s - it's "new" to some U.S. markets but it is not a new product. We used Pex because copper was 3 times more expensive and I was convinced it would be stolen out of the job site anyway (joys of urban Houston).

• dadereni
    10 years ago

I suggest sticking with what's in your contract. You're unlikely to get full credit for the cost difference if you make the change.

• 8mpg
    10 years ago

Both have their advantages... I just did my own house and did pex though it was a remodel, not a new build. Id go with pex runs with a homerun setup. I would specify copper stub outs for all the sinks and toilets though.

• patriceny
    10 years ago

I did exactly what 8 mpg says - copper stub outs and pex.

The pex looks "messier" to me in the basement than my prior house (which was all copper) did. The copper just blended in quietly against the background, whereas the white, blue, and red pex lines seem to be all over the place. But it is the basement so I don't really care....and the price of all copper was insane.

According to my plumber, most of the new build jobs he does here (Central NY) are pex now.

I wasn't sold, at first. I almost wanted copper, just because that's all I've ever known.

Anyway, I've been in a little over a year and it's been fine so far.

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback and your experience with Pex. After talking over with my husband and the contractor we decided to stick with copper since it was what is specified in the contract and it is very new in our area. It was approved less then a year ago and my contractor has done it in just one other house so far.

Like dadereni mentioned above if one of the advantages of pex seems to be the cost but we would not get any money back if we did that. So we would have been paying for copper but getting PEX instead.

• piegirltoo
    9 years ago

My 2 cents: Beware of PEX, especially if you live in the NW and especially if it's manufactured by Wirsbo.

I've posted this on the plumbing forum, but we had a pinhole leak in ours that caused a great deal of damage. The local Wirsbo rep said it was "defective" and that they would "take care of everything".

We later received a letter from Wirsbo stating the damage was caused by an insect commonly found in the NW USA, the Western Conifer Seed Bug. This insect has now spread across the USA and into Europe.

Although I'm not convinced it was damaged by an insect (none were found in the area), I have to wonder why building codes allow for this product to be used in an area where the seed bug is common. There is no approved pesticide or repellant, so it's up to the consumer to seal off areas where insects can gain access to your home.

Raise your your hand if you've never, ever seen a bug in your house.