Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckymom23

Favorite Sites for Pictures and Ideas

luckymom23
16 years ago

I was wondering, Does anyone has any websites they really like for looking at pictures and getting ideas? I have one that I like:

http://www.cottagewoodpartners.com/slide/slide.html

We are trying to find some pictures to show our designer because we would like to make some changes to our elevation and we just havn't found the right ones yet.

Thanks!

Comments (26)

• chompskyd
    16 years ago

I like to look at Ross Chapin's site:

Ross Chapin Architects

and then click on "Plans" or "Projects".

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

Cottagewood was my favorite online source of inspiration pics, but I found most of my inspiration from magazines. I think I purchased every home magazine that I could get my hands on over a one-year period. Now that we're just 2.5 weeks away from moving in (and have no more need for inspiration), I find that I'm having to force myself not to buy more home magazines. I had the same withdrawal from Bridal Mags after the wedding!

• vineyard
    16 years ago

This architect only does Spanish/Mediterranean style homes (which is what I like) so if you're interested in that, here's the link: Jauregui

I actually had drawn up my floorplan and implemented my own architectural details in the plans, but found this site later on and then noticed many similarities in our design! For example, we both have round tubs in the master bath, wide-footprint homes with a long hallway, groin vault ceilings, full roman arch top windows, wood beam ceilings, etc.

Now I find the site very useful for getting decorating ideas and color schemes...I only wish they had more homes and photos displayed!

• kcthatsme
    16 years ago

I don't know if this will be helpful for you or not but since you are specifically looking for elevations, what about looking at house plans sites? Even if the plan is bigger/smaller than yours you still might get ideas of porches, columns, window types, etc. Another place would be real estate sites. Lots of elevations to look at in listings. www.realtor.com would be a good one for that. Just pick a city, state, etc. and voila! good luck.

• DYH
    16 years ago

This was/and still is, one of my favorites. If you like Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard and similar looks, this is the site to browse. Interiors and exteriors.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: shingle style

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

these are all just great!

wonbyherwits: unbelievably talented architects/designers there. I've bookmarked for later extensive viewing pleasure. I think I'm building the wrong house. I'll have to build another one similar to these. No, no; can't believe I said that! Just shoot me now!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Hey Luckymom, since you're in the NW, I'm sure you've probably seen Mascord's site but just in case you haven't, I'll link it. I like how you can click on some plans and many times they have actual photos of the house and not just drawings.

Other than that, I also looked at alot of magazines, open houses and decor books. Every Sunday, I scan the houses on the market. I love how the internet makes everything so accessible. Lots of pictures!

Good Luck! I thought you had a final plan. What are you changing?

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Uh...forgot the site...ooops!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mascord Designs

• luckymom23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all,
    It is fun to go through and see everybody's favorites...there are some really great ideas out there and just what I was looking for. I particulary LOVED the shingle style site, a few of those just took my breath away.
    Soonermagic-there is an hysterical thread about Decorating Magazine Addiction on the Decorating forum, I wish I remember the title and could link it for you. I am just thinking if only I were close by I could come and take all those magazines off your hands so you wouldn't have to move them into your new house and clutter it up....I think we need another line item in the budget: 'Design Inspiration' LOL!
    Lindy-I know the Mascord site *very* well, :) I even know some of his plans by number...LOL! Kind of scary actually...you know like the movie: "I see Dead People", umm "I see House Plans". Seriously though, we do have a plan it is just that the elevation while really nice is not quite what we want and if we were to say to our designer: a little more Country-Craftsman-Cottage with a Rustic Mountain Flair and a French twist...I am just afraid at what we might end up with! So we are trying to look at alot of homes and try and decide on the elements that appeal to us over and over and incorporate those while maintaining continuity in the overall design and style. I don't know if it is like this for anyone else but I can see beautiful homes and appreciate them and think they are great and then I will see a house that just has something so special about it that it draws me in. It is a very personal thing to be sure but we are hoping to create that feeling for ourselves in our new home and since a picture is worth a thousand words I think having some pictures to show our designer will be very helpful.
    Thanks to everyone for sharing!

• ajpl
    16 years ago

Awesome site wonbyherwits!

• houseful
    16 years ago

Vineyard, that's an amazing site!! I can't believe I never found that with all the internet searches I've done over the last three years.

• niebry
    16 years ago

Luckymom23 - here are a few of my favorites. I don't think the sotherby site meshes with the style of home you're looking to build, but I thought that I'd post it anyway.

http://www.sotherby.com/photo_gallery/

http://www.dongardner.com/gallery.aspx

http://www.lchouseplans.com/galleries/index.cfm

• vineyard
    16 years ago

Thanks, houseful...I only came across it when I started shopping for our iron entry doors. Cantera Doors had a photo of their door used in a Jauregui home and that's how I discovered them!

I wouldn't think Jauregui would come up in a search unless you used their name specifically - their site isn't really optimized for search engines, being mostly flash and not much text.

• luckymom23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lindy,
    I just went back and checked out the Mascord site and looked at it 'with new eyes'. Thanks so much for suggesting it! Since I have been there so often I probably wouldn't have used it but your suggestion prompted me to look at it again and I got some great ideas.

All the sites have beautiful pictures and are inspirational even if the style isn't like our home.

Niebry-the Donald Gardner site is another one that I thought I had seen all of-but some new pictures have been added and one house in particular is very much like ours and it was great to look at those pictures and get very excited! It also incorporates a couple of ideas we were not sure of - but after seeing those pictures we see it can definately work.
    Thanks to all of you, these sites have been a big help and just what we needed!

Thanks all!

• coysmum
    16 years ago

"Lucky",

If I remember correctly, weren't you originally interested in the Mascord "Covington"? We were/are too, except I can't stand the way it looks, howerver I found the identicle 1st floor plan on the "Leesville" with a more Craftsman touch which is what we've been looking for. We'll make some mods, but end up building very similar to the Leesville.

What plan did you decide on?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mascord Leesville Plan

• luckymom23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Coysmum,
    Hi! We actually decided to build a walkout basement plan. We have a sloped lot and would have ended up with a basement regardless so decided to eliminate the upstairs and have the kid's rooms downstairs. We really liked the 'Dogwood Ridge' (a Don Gardner Plan), but we wanted several changes so we ended up with a custom plan, and we are working with a Timber Framer to customize the front elevation and a few interior details. Like you we like the Craftsman style. We really liked the Covington too-also not thrilled with the cape cod style but have seen many versions that were 'craftsmanized' :) not a real word I know but thats what it looked like! The Covington and it's similar plans have been built in our area quite a bit. We actually toured the Covington. If you would like, I can search out a link that would show you some interior pictures of the Covington that is for sale near us. Perhaps even the Leesville, I know I have seen that around here too. One of our main problems with the plan we saw was that the upstairs bedrooms did not have enough light. The windows were small dormers and did not let in alot of light. Perhaps the Leesville is better than the Covington in that respect. Where are you building?

• coysmum
    16 years ago

We're building on 5 acres in Washington State in a rural area near Issaquah. I'd love to seen interior pics of either the Covington or Leesville considering there isn't any interior pics of either of those houses on Mascord's website. I'm a little concerned the great room won't be large enough so it would be great to see it from the inside.

Coysmum

• luckymom23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Coysmum,
    If you are free this weekend there is an open house at the 'Covington'. :) I have posted the link to the listing. If you want to check out MLS#7084117 (you could use the same realtor site that I linked to), I believe that is the Leesville, but there are no interior pictures.
    The Great Room in the Covington felt really nice, but you do need keep in mind that the stairs are behind the fireplace so you will have a traffic pattern there. Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Listing for Covington

• coysmum
    16 years ago

Thanks so much Lucky. The Covington you listed looks so much better in those colors that the yellow house that Mascord has on their website. I was also able to find another Covington in Oregon with the same kitchen layout I love and a much grander fireplace.

I really appreciate you tracking that down for me. Makes me feel more confident about our decision to build this house or a variation of it. Thanks again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another listing for the Covington

• luckymom23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! 'Your' Covington is cool! :) The kitchen is much nicer than the other one. There is another one that is not finished yet in Oregon City, it is the larger version-I can't remember the name of that plan. If you want to check it out go to Portland's Craig's List, and search 'Fischer's Mill'.
    Have Fun!

• coysmum
    16 years ago

Lucky,

That was a great idea. Look what one I found now?

Here is a link that might be useful: tour of the Leesville

• luckymom23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Coysmum,
    Wow! you are good! :) That is a beautiful house. They did a really nice job on the finish work. So, after seeing all these pictures do you still like the Covington? Do you know what your time frame is for getting started? We are making the final touches on our plans and starting to clear our site. Thanks for keeping me updated with the pictures, we are trying to make some window design decisions and the tour you sent gave me some ideas!

• raam
    16 years ago

YES ! Alan Mascord has awsome plans. We went with plam 2360
    http://www.mascord.com/plan_details.asp?PlanID=2360&PlanGraphicID=1410&np=true

click the drawing and you'll my house ! Well the first one "Front" is not ours, but all the others are.

• luckymom23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beautiful House raam!
    Thanks for sharing. :)

• raam
    16 years ago

Thanks LM, all their plans seem really neat! We had a hrd time choosing. Very open and modern looking. I will point out that an electrical plan was not included, though as online plans go most don't include them. No biggie as the electritian just asks you were you want to switches and recepticales and fixtures anyway not to mention they have to go by local code anyway.