jdez1

It's October 2014. How is your build?

jdez
9 years ago

Yay...It's October!

Comments (150)

• Zoe52
    9 years ago

What a beautiful home, Robyn! Your pantry right off the kitchen is great! I love your windows AND your view out of them, too.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Robyn your home is lovely. Pantry is amazing! We did a walk behind pantry but the hidden doors on yours add a special touch. I hope you are starting to feel like you are done, I bet unpacking will take some time finding new homes for all of your things.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Robyn, wow. Just wow. It's so beautiful! I love everything. And especially your basket storage in the pantry....great idea...I made a note of that for my own pantry.

How are the kids liking it? How are you liking it? What do you love? What do you wish you'd done differently (if anything)?

Thank you for sharing all the pics!

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Sigh. Mistake número uno. Hope these miscolored blocks don't set us too far back.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Oh, jeez, Michelle, how did they not see that when they were doing it?

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Wow that is bad Michelle. What the heck? It would actually look pretty nice if there were just a random bunch mixed in the whole thing but that doesn't appear to be the case.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Apparently they were doing it with their eyes closed. ;).

Builder says he's taking care of it. Let's hope so!!

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Double

This post was edited by Michelle1973 on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 9:56

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

I don't see the post anymore but I think if its under the deck $1000 is fair. Have you bent on any other "oops" moves? Is there something for $1-$2K that you had cut out that maybe the builder would do for you instead of a credit? I am getting at not costing the builder anything but getting a value of more than $1000.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

If it's covered by the porch, I'd be fine with taking a credit and avoiding a delay. But $1k seems low. If you were asking for a change, I'm sure that would cost you $5k.

• HappyValleyHome
    9 years ago

Hi all,

Last week was a busy week on the build front. We received lots of fill so our yard is looking much better. Meet with the landscaper this week to come up with a new plan as don't think we will need so many retaining walls:-). All rooms have gotten a coat of paint and I am loving the colors. Trim has been started and hardwood is being installed. Got a sneak peak at my cabinets and now can hardly wait for them to arrive next week! This week will be all about flooring and trim

Michelle...oh no!! How could they miss that!! Great the builder is taking care of it, bummer as it will put you back a bit:-(

Robyn...great pics! Your home is beautiful and you must be so happy to be in and getting organized

Carson...welcome back! Was wondering where you went...hopefully things move along quickly now that you are back. Found that once drywall was started the rest has really moved along swiftly so hopefully that will be the same for you.

Zoe...looks like you will have a wonderful spot to look out upon from your nook. Framing is really moving along for you.

Mfatt...am hoping you will get your power and finally see some progress! It seems like it has been a painfully slow process that will hopefully pick up now.

Aimless...I think Robyn's main paint color was BM Revere Pewter... remember it as we are using it as well and really like it.

Jdez...love all your wood!! How hard you have worked but it looks lie you will be rewarded with a wonderful cozy space to live in.

Juniper...hope this week is going more smoothly?!?
    Northpole...how goes the move?!? We need pics!!

• HappyValleyHome
    9 years ago

Progress pics...paint & trim!!

• HappyValleyHome
    9 years ago

Hardwood started...

• HappyValleyHome
    9 years ago

Porch almost done...just need trim!

• HappyValleyHome
    9 years ago

DH's treehouse deck!

• HappyValleyHome
    9 years ago

All my pretties have arrived!! Can't wait to see them in place:-)

• NWHobart
    9 years ago

MFatt, hoping you got power today... fingers crossed.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

No power today :), the guys did hang cabinets though! I haven't seen them but I am counting that as a positive until I know otherwise ;).

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Just checking in to say hi! Back from the Canada and New England Grand Tour... and befitting my avatar, stopped at the Trapp Family Lodge on the last night. Glad we are home though- HOME:-)
    Even with all the unfinished bits, it is still nice to come back. Will give an update tomorrow after some crews and inspectors give us a visit.

Robyn- your pantry rocks!

Congrats on the newly moved and the soon to be moved.

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Zoe- what a view you have!
    HappyValley- just gorgeous! And what a view you have, too!
    Michelle- isn't it amazing what can be missed?!?

We are moving along quite well. Our house was open for the local Parade of Homes this weekend. There's still a lot to be done (exterior and interior paint, trim, floors to be finished, landscaping, etc.) But we're getting there! We've been so inspired by so many of you, I thought I should share our progress. Here's the exterior- the Hardie hasn't been painted. It eventually will be a very light gray.

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Barn door in the foyer with a sample of one of our interior colors.

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Living room built-ins and fireplace. The mantle came out of a 150 year-old barn.

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

View of the kitchen from the living room

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Another view of the island

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Built in hutch in the kitchen

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Love our dining room light!

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Fireplace in master bedroom

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

And lastly, the master bath

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Happy and Tamara, I am drooling over the beauty! Both of your homes are gorgeous!! And give me hope that maybe someday I'll have something like that too! :). Remind me....when did you two break ground? And how many sq ft?

Regarding our block, hubby wanted builder to fix it....so that's what they're doing.

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Michelle, you'll get there! Some bumps along the way, to be sure, but you'll get there! Something I've learned is that I should have made notes about changes or on-site decisions we've made along with way with the builder. I thought I'd remember it all, but it's impossible with all the decisions and changes that take place. We were really blessed with great weather from the time we broke ground until we were under roof- we've only been under construction since mid-June. We are just shy of 4,000 sqft.

Oh- and I have to share the half bath vanity. Bought the vanity on Etsy (and the seller was a dream to work with) and used a soapstone remnant. So happy!

• HappyValleyHome
    9 years ago

music...welcome back! Hope you had a wonderful time away...but am sure you are happy to be back to your lovely home.

Tamaratom...just beautiful pics! I love the mix of rustic and sparkle. The cabinets are especially lovely.

Michele...we broke ground in mid-May. Other than the process to actually get to the build part the rest has gone very smoothly. Helps to have a good builder who I have a really good working relationship with. You will get to this point before you know it...I am excited to get into the new place but will be sad that it is all over;-). We are around 4500 sq ft...3500 above ground and then we have the finished 1000 of our daylight basement

• jdez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tamara - Beautiful.

Happyvalley - Beautiful.

Robyn - Beautiful.

Ourdreamhome - Will be beautiful.

Zoe - Love the view.

Carson - Welcome back.

Musicgal - Welcome back.

MFatt - Cabinet pics? Hope you get power soon.

We have a very long to-do list that we are working on slowly but surely. Trying to pick a color for my wood backsplash. I am waiting for suggestions from my KD, whose own house I am in love with, before I make a decision. DH talked to the plumber yesterday and we should have the plumbing finished later this week, that is, if they show up...lol. DH is putting in baseboards today and tomorrow. I haven't had a chance to read all the posts in this thread but I really like seeing all the pictures. I will post some when I have something new to share. Have a great day everyone.

Edited to add that I just called about my carpet that was supposed to be installed last week and they don't think they will get to us this week either. The nerve of them...haha.

Another edit: The KD has spoken. Another decision made. Proceeding as scheduled...lol.

This post was edited by JDez on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 12:32

• kg4951
    9 years ago

Tamara - love your vanity! Do you mind sharing what Etsy shop you worked with? I am searching for a powder room vanity now and what you have would be perfect.
    As for progress, siding is going up, slowly. Raining today so probably no progress today :-/

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

CraftyGranny, we purchased the vanity from Keeriah. Please tell Carol I sent you over- she was a PLEASURE!

I love your siding color!

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Weigh in on these: Do they match?

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

It wont let me post the cup pull. Ack!

I will keep trying. However, I have a knob very much like the one I posted. Would a straight pull or a cup pull look better? I have med-dark stained wood cabinets and a craftsman vibe going.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Its working!!! I really need to figure out how you all do multiple pictures....

Also, I do not have perm. power but 75% of my cabinets are hung and our trim guys are doing all that they an without the power on. They are awesome as far as subs go.

• ellenandco
    9 years ago

Mfatt, those are the Cosmas, right? I used their ORB and BN cabinet hardward throughout my home. I recommend getting a couple of each to try first. They're so cheap it's not a big deal to get a 5 pack. The cup pulls didn't seem any different from other brands. Your last pull I found very lightweight so didn't use. The knobs were too, so I used all Amerock Allison knobs and a variety Cosmas pulls. Everything matched finishes across brands just fine. I'll try and link the specific ones. I was happy with the price and the huge variety of sizes--I have 3.75. 6 5/16, and 12 inch pulls in my kitchen;)

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen pulls

• carsonheim
    9 years ago

MFatt -- yup, they all look really good together!

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Yes Cosmas. The knobs are actually something else but that's the closet photo I could find. I am looking for coordinating pulls but both pulls are the Cosmas brand. I don't want to spend a ton at this point since its an easy thing to change.

Carson- I am set on knobs, which pull do you like best out of those two? I don't think I will mix all three.

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

MFatt, they look good to me!

• jenniekehr
    9 years ago

Tamara_ Can I ask what the paint color is? I love all of your finishes.

We had drywall finished today, so trimwork starts tomorrows, hopefully wood floors will also be brought in, and tile work can begin. We were told our cabinets will be delayed until Nov 4th, which is actually ok, since our windows delayed us so much.

• carsonheim
    9 years ago

MFatt - can you paste a photo of where they will go?

I actually do plan on having three in my kitchen... glass knobs on uppers, and a combo of cup pulls and standard pulls on the lowers.

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Hi Jennie- Thank you! The pictured color is SW 0055 Light French Gray. In the baths and hallways, we are going slightly lighter with SW 7653 SIlverpointe (which wasn't pictured.) I'm excited for you- it's amazing how it goes from looking like a construction site to a home when the drywall and trim goes up!

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

I will try to get a pic. I didn't get by there today but I need to swing by tomorrow so I will get a picture.

• Christina03
    9 years ago

Tamara you home is beautiful, can you tell me where you got the pendants for island. They are exactly what I've been looking for.

• snuffycuts99
    9 years ago

I posted a new thread with this but thought I'd post here as well to catch everyone who's currently building.

Just wondering what your electric bills have averaged during construction? Last month was $16. This month jumped up to $233. They said to check the meter to make sure it wasn't read incorrectly. I will do that tomorrow and sure hope that was the case. We're not running the furnace and no air conditioning. No lights yet. My GC said that they've just been using electricity to run saws. Would saws use that much electricity? Thanks!

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

No, saws would not in my experience use that my power. Ours is $17 a month and I believe that is just a few dollars above the minimum so our useage is very minimal. No perm power at our build yet though so I don't have much to compare to since we have never run our new HVAC system. No harm in double checking. If it is legit, you might go take a look and make sure no one is running the furnace and just turning it off after.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

dreamer-that does not sound right to me at all. I'd double check for sure.

robyn-wow wow wow! I think you've got an awesome view from every single room! You HAVE to post one in the winter with snow on that beautiful mountain!

tamaratom-love it all inside and out - wow, it's amazing. :D

happeyvalley-that porch -those arches. :D :D

Everyone is coming along so nicely and they all look great. Ahhh. If there were any way for a progressive house peeking snack tour I'd be all about it. ;)

music-glad the trip was successful. Are you alllll settled now?

I am thinking about taking a day off just to finish unpacking/organizing already. It's still driving me bonkers. I have 3 drawers and a lazy susan in the kitchen that are still all kitty wompus.

• jdez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dreamer - Not right. Might be time for a surprise visit to the site when everyone is there working.