Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Melted siding

Posted by madmacker (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 12:03

Our house is 5 years old and we just noticed that the siding behind our built in oven is melted. Our builder was very incompetent and was eventually fired but I am wondering what he might have done/not done for this to happen. I really don't want a house fire so need to get this figured out. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Melted siding

A lot of melted siding is caued by the reflection off of a nearby window... even the neighbors window can cause this. I see this phenomena every once in a while. And at certain times of the year, at certain times of the day, if I walk behind my own home, I get a very hot burning sensation on my face. I found out that it was the reflection off of the window.

o

It is rather unlikely a zero clearance residential oven can generate enough heat to affect exterior siding.

Their is still some type of insulation and sheathing in the path.

o

Just asking....because I saw this happen to someone's house... Was someone using a grill too close to the house?

o

No, it is nowhere near where anyone was using a grill. I think it is melting from the oven somehow but not sure why. Like I said, our contractor might not have put the needed material behind the oven. Not sure what should be behind it. Guess we are going to have to pull off the siding and see what's there.

o

" Guess we are going to have to pull off the siding and see what's there."

It might be easier to pull the oven.

At least they are designed to be removable for servicing.

o

An oven that would melt any construction material is defective so you should call an appliance repair person. If the melted siding (PVC?) is on the outside, it was likely the result of an exterior heat source unless the wall has no exterior sheathing or interior finish.

o

I would agree completely with Renovator8, house would have to mess construction wise for the oven to melt exterior siding.

o

Google melting siding and you will see that this problem caused by windows is a real and increasing problem. Like I said, I see it about once or twice a year, and it is caused by the relection from a nearby window.
Ovens are insulated themselves. I don't think they get very hot on the outside. Just touch the oven door... cool to the touch. look for a nearby window as a culprit.

o

Or a neighbors window if the homes are close together!

o

As noted above, melted vinyl siding from reflection is not uncommon. Lots of pics.

o

Okay, well thanks for everyone's help on this. Our window guy will be back out in a week or two to replace a couple of windows and I will check with him then and see what he has to say about the whole thing. Not sure what can be done about it if it is the windows.

o

"Not sure what can be done about it if it is the windows."

It is NOT usually YOUR windows, it is a neighbors window.

o

Well, our closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away so I can't blame it on them!!

o

If you have an L - shaped part of the home, it COULD be coming from your own window that is located on the wall that is 90 degrees away from the part of the home that is getting melted.
Hope that makes sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here