Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
etr2002

First time to build - Floor Plan Review Please

etr2002
9 years ago

I have a meeting on Thursday morning to go over changes to the plan. We are building on a hill in the middle of 100 acres of pasture just outside of Nashville. Ceiling downstairs are 10" and upstairs are 9". I would appreciate thoughts and opinions on the houseplan.

One thing that I noticed last night was that the area for a future elevator opens one way downstairs and another way upstairs, so I know this is going to require some changes. What else do you see that you would recommend changing?

Thanks in advance!
Erica

Comments (7)

• etr2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

1st Floor

• etr2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd floor

• bpath
    9 years ago

Oh, that's a nice farmhouse look.

Are the washing machines in the laundry room divided by the sink? If so, move them next to each other. It really is bothersome to reach from washer to dryer when they are two feet apart.

Is the elevator intended for the right-hand bedroom? Could you have it open right into the bedroom, and come down into the parlor? It would be easiest for a mobility-impaired person to not have to make multiple turns to use it. If you plan to keep the doors in the hallway, be sure they swing on the easiest side. For example, as shown upstairs it should be on the other side if it's serving the right-hand bedroom.

Would it make sense to flip the stairs? It seems to me most traffic goes between the back, living area of the house and the upstairs. The upstairs seem to be set up in such a way that the stairs could go either way. If the stairs start in the family room, the parlor becomes a quieter "away"space.

Can you talk about the garage doors, and how many there are?

• etr2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to review our plans!

We will not have a garage but a carport instead. It is supposed to be large enough for 2 SUVs. The mechanical room that is located in that area is for a freezer, safe, and water heater.

The closet in the master bath is a safe room.

The elevator is intended for the guest room which is the one on the right side of the home. Good point about the turns and the opening. I'll definitely address this at our meeting. I'm also going to work on the bathroom in that area because it is designed for a custom shower, and I don't want to spend quite that much when I can get a premade handicap shower that will work just as well.

I also like the thoughts about the stairwell. It is currently located right outside of our master bedroom that will be soundproof, but my husband works nights and will be sleeping during the day while the kids are stomping up and down the stairs.

I hadn't thought about the wet clothes going across the sink. I only thought about the window being above the sink.

Thanks!

• snuffycuts99
    9 years ago

I can't see your plans very well, but...it looks like the space for the elevator has a door on the right on the first floor and exits to the left on the 2nd floor. If that is what you're concerned with, don't worry about it. It's a simple option to have a straight thru cab where you have openings across from each other. That's exactly what we're doing in our current build. Sorry if I misread your plans...

Also, I wouldn't have 1st floor entrance to the elevator from that hallway, though. It looks quite narrow. If so, you'd want it to be at least 4' wide. It would probably make more sense to enter from the foyer.

• bordercolliesrule83
    9 years ago

The kitchen stools appear too close to the dining table chairs.

• lethargo
    9 years ago

Where do your kids drop their stuff? It looks like it's next to the powder room. I would put the powder room to open across from the stairs, and slide the other closets to the right; the Butler's pantry over, and place the pantry across from the carport access. Also, I would do a stackable wash/dryer upstairs for the kids when they get older. You also may consider switching the peninsula for just one big island to get more space between the dining room and Kitchen, as well as give more flow in and out of the sapce.