Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsewa7

House Plan Question

jsewa7
11 years ago

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have found a house plan at houseplans.designdirect.com that we are interested in building. I have contacted the designer directly trying to additional pictures of the home, exterior and interiror. All they had was one exterior shot that a customer had provided them. They suggested that i try this forum to see if any users may be customers or know of customers that have built this plan. It is the Brentwood plan by Donald A. Gardner. http://houseplans.designsdirect.com/home-plan-details.asp?PlanNum=5092

If anyone here has built this home or knows of someone that has, it would be a big help if i could see some photos of the finished home. It is tough for me to look at a floor plan and visualize it so pictures would benefit me greatly.

Thanks

Comments (4)

• renovator8
    11 years ago

jsewa7, all you have to do to provide a link to a website is put the URL in the Optional Link URL box and give it a name when you are in Preview Mode.

Here is a link that might be useful: your link

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

It's a cute house. I like the look of the front porch, but I'd check that the shade it provides is appropriate to the place you're building (in my area, it would be too dark, but in the South it would be great).

There are no coat closets at the garage entry. Does that work for your family/climate? Where will you put the TV? It looks like the only place to put it is over the fireplace, and not everyone is comfortable with that. Do you want a non-bedroom that's acoustically separate from the rest of the living space? I would want an office or study or something that I could close off from the open parts of the house.

• jsewa7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are in Southeast VA and will be building in an open pasture area. The changes we would make to this plan are extending the utility room another 3' alongside garage to create coat/shoe closet. The steps will be reversed going up from living area towards front of house. Instead of having balcony overlooking the foyer, that area that is open on the plan will be closed to make a bigger loft area for desk/office/sitting or whatever else we decide. We will still have the balcony overlooking living area. Our current home has a "formal living room" which is accoustically separate from rest of living area. We have been in the house 10 yrs other than going in there to clean we havent used it once. We opted not to have such a room with this home. Our current home has the TV mounted above the fireplace which works for us so we would likely do the same here. One thing we desperately needed was a big play area for the kids. Currently we have their rooms and the living room and thats it. The room above the garage will serve this purpose. As for a separate office, in theory it sounds great, but knowing mine and my wife and kid's habits, i cant envision enough use of it to justify it. I can see us putting a desk and computer in the expanded loft area. As for the back of the house, we will cover and screen in the area that shows as deck on the plan, then have a door out to the bedroom side of house on to an open deck that opens into the master br.

We are looking at several building options and would appreciate any input or advice. We will get turn key bids, but also looking at being the Gen Contractor ourselves and subbing it all out or possibly doing that but hiring a contractor as superintendent to manage the project on a % of our total cost basis. Any advice, warnings, input would be appreciated