Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

A spreadsheet to organize choices?

Aims
9 years ago

Is there a comprehensive spreadsheet out there that I can download and fill in things like paint decisions, flooring, the appliances we chose, lighting, plumbing, etc. Where we bought it all from, the sales representative, phone numbers?

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

I made myself an Excel spreadsheet with sections for everything I needed. I found a few online but they either didn't have the categories I wanted or had way too many. If you have excel its worth trying to make yourself a mockup with only what you want. Its also easy to add columns and rows later on as the need arises.

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought about making one myself, but I was concerned about leaving things out.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Just add them in later. I kept a big binder of stuff and the spreadsheet was mainly item #'s, quantities, location. I kept a lot of other stuff too and then divided it. We aren't quite done but the stuff I refer to most is budget related contract dollar numbers mostly. Good luck, its daunting but just start small and as the need arrises, add in columns and keep moving. I added a column for overages later on, things that we were over or under so I know where I stand with my final loan amount. We were over and under so much the spreadsheet really helped. If you are proficient in Excel you can get it to total everything too. I needed help in that department but it really is useful and most people have Office already.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Be forewarned ... if you haven't worked with Excel before, once you make one spreadsheet, you will make them for everything! I agree with MFatt16 that you should just get started with the columns you need and add others as you go.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

aimless-yep what mfatt and jellytoast said. You can just create different tabs within a workbook or keep them all together in one sheet. I also started from scratch but use excel on a regular basis for work and home. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick and it's great to keep track of things. :D

• Bethanysmom
    9 years ago

I use spreadsheets for everything! Total life-saver. I also use pinterest and have several secret boards where I pin everything I've purchased...that way, if I'm out shopping and see something and don't have my spreadsheets with me, I can easily pull up pinterest on my phone and see if I have bought it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Too many decisions and choices for one spreadsheet. Instead I built a notebook which was broken down by room and exterior. The pages were the plastic pocket type so I was able to slip in brochures, business cards, pictures, sketches, etc. That notebook went with me to every meeting with the builder/architect and for shopping trips. I also included fabric samples, paint chips, flooring samples, and everything else I could... it was our build bible.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I like the idea of a binder divided into rooms:

- You can carry it with you
    - You can print off your Excel spreadsheets and put them into the notebook
    - You can include swatches of paint, fabric, etc.
    - It would give you a place to consolidate receipts (which I personally would otherwise lose)

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago

Hubby has created a spreadsheet for us - it works well.
    The only that can be a problem is paint colors may not be true, but DH has a photographic memory for Pantone paint colors, so that's not a prob for me.