Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burnhaven_gw

drywall install time estimate 3800 sq ft

Burnhaven
9 years ago

Hello, we're building a 3800 square foot home up in NW Washington State. It is weather-tight now with roof, windows and doors installed. Wall insulation went in yesterday. Heating and ducting along with most electrical and rough plumbing.
I believe sheetrock ( drywall ) will be next and assuming no lack of labor or delay in materials, what is a typical install time for this size.
Our contractor is now estimating mid-December for completion but I suspect he is padding things a bit. I don't know if moisture or temperature plays a role in the remaining things to be done, but I suppose the furnace could be run if needed.
Remaining would be: sheetrock, ceiling/subfloor insulation, flooring, cabinets, trim and paint, rain gutters, exterior painting, ???

Comments (10)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

December would be optimistic. You don't even take the final field measures for a lot of the finish items until the drywall goes up because there can be so many changes through the framing phase. You're also forgetting finish plumbing and electrical, tiling in baths, landscaping, and a punch list for all of those things that get missed along the way. You've still got a long way to go. Dried in is at best 1/3 of a build. The more time consuming portion still remains.

• Brian_Knight
    9 years ago

Fast, Quality, Cheap. Pick any two.

If it were one of my homes, I would have told you mid-Feb.

• Burnhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks LiveWire Oak. What landscaping can be done during the winter has been done ( we planted grass ). We're in a water source watershed so can't touch the dirt until June. The Ikea cabinets are already stored on site along with all faucets, sinks, light fixtures and appliances. But I was mainly looking for an estimate on drywall installation. All electrical outlets are in as far as you can do that before drywall. Heating ducts have been run and plumbing up to the point of install toilets, sinks and faucets, etc.

• snuffycuts99
    9 years ago

We're in a very similar spot as you. Our house is about 3800 square feet and they've just about finished rough electrical and plumbing. Wall insulation will begin shortly and then drywall. Our house is all brick and I would say they're not quite half way done with that. Our builder has told us that the drywall itself will take 3-4 weeks, if that is mainly what you're asking about. We're still looking for a finish date in February.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

"what is a typical install time for this size. "

How chopped-up is the interior? If you have lots of short walls, niches, and slanty things, it takes longer than if you have larger areas with minimal fiddly detail work.

• Burnhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd say the walls are somewhat complicated, not just big rectangles in some spots. First floor layout shown.

• jenniekehr
    9 years ago

our drywall for 5600 finished sq ft plus 3 garages took less than 2 weeks. More like 1.5 weeks.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

For about 2000 sf with 11 ft ceilings in the big room blueboard and plaster took less than a week.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

We had a crew of 6 guys, maybe 8 and they took 2 weeks or so for a smaller house. We are estimating finishing in Dec. and we are working on finish work, flooring, and trim. Some builders are fast though and mine is incredibly slow. You will likely want to run the furnace to dry out the drywall and also for cabinets and flooring if you are using wood. Trim needs heat and humidity control too.

• worthy
    9 years ago

Typical? Depends on how you roll.

Slapping up the drywall fast is one thing. It's the taping and sanding that takes time. One place I gave the painters the go-ahead twice. Each time, they said, "not until it's finished better, otherwise you'll blame us." Two weeks of "delay" beats perpetual irritation.

I couldn't even make the deadline on one of my own homes. Moved in with no kitchen in place!