Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

How to post photos revised 10/19/11

I'm posting a link to an FAQ on the New England Gardening Forum since the Building a Home forum does not yet have an FAQ page, and the question of how to post photos keeps arising. This is meant as a stopgap post to fill a present need.

The FAQ is excerpted from a series of threads where various forum members contributed valuable information and commentary. The threads got heavy with discussion, all of it useful but maybe hard to wade through if you just want to get a photo included in your post and don't really want to know the nitty-gritty. I'll give the SHORT and the LONG of it so you can take what you want and ignore the rest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE REALLY REALLY SHORT OF IT:

1. Get the photo onto your computer desktop, by digital camera or scanning or whatever.

2. Upload the photo to a web-hosting site; either by opening an account (Picasa, Photobucket, etc.) or by using a site that doesn't require an account (such as TinyPic or imgur). Pick a reasonable size for posting like 640 X 480 pixels.

3. From the list of codes on the website, pick the HTML code and copy it. DO NOT copy the IMG code. It won't work on GW.

4. Paste the HTML code into your message.

5. Preview should show the photo included in your post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE LONG OF IT FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO KNOW MORE:

See the How do I include a photo in my post? FAQ

Claire

Comments (11)

• aa62579
    12 years ago

Or, if you have the direct link that starts with http: and ends with .jpg, you can just stick in the tags. You would do as above as far as uploading and choosing the size, but some programs include a lot of nonsense in their html code for you to copy, so I prefer to do it this way.

You would type in what is in red. The black is the direct link you would paste in and finish with the red tags.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good note, aa62579. That's also a good method for just picking a photo (or other graphic) off of another site and linking to it; it doesn't have to be on a photo web-hosting site. I sometimes post a link to a weather map that will update automatically. It's useful during hurricane season or any time.

Forecast for coastal winds in the northeast, from the Weather Channel.

I posted this on Wednesday, October 19, 2011. It should update tomorrow.

Claire (who happens to live on the northeast coast)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Moving back to first page.

Claire

Original Author
    12 years ago

Also, if you set up an account at a web-hosting site like Photobucket, make sure the account you link to is public. A private account requires a password to view, and your link won't work. The private account is fine for people you want to give your password to.

Claire

Original Author
    12 years ago

This forum really moves fast. In my last post I should have said "public album", not "public account", for photos you can link to in a public forum.

Back to page one.

Claire

• aa62579
    12 years ago

I don't think you need to have stuff public. I no longer use photobucket much, but I kept much of my stuff private on there any never had any trouble posting an individual picture.

{{gwi:1504743}}

This is a private album. I can still link to specific photos in the album, but you cannot see any other photos in the album without knowing the exact address.

• aa62579
    12 years ago

What I said would be true if you wanted to share an image from a private album.

If you were trying to share the entire album, I do believe you would need to make it public or share the password.

Original Author
    12 years ago

That's good to know. I've never used Photobucket myself so I'm going by the frequent posts where someone's link is invalid because the album is private. When they make it public the link works.

So what you're saying is that the link must be to a specific photo URL, not the album the photo is in. As long as the link is to one photo at a time, it doesn't matter if the actual album is private or public.

Thanks,
    Claire

• aa62579
    12 years ago

Yes, for example, the picture I posted above is in the following album:

Photoshop Elements

It should prompt you for a password when you click on the link.

Original Author
    12 years ago

It did; I couldn't see the album without the password.

Claire

Original Author
    12 years ago

Back to the first page.

Claire

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling