Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
r2d2indy

Updated layout and Elevation

Here are the updated floor plans and elevations from our builder/architect. We are almost ready to finalize this plan that was designed and laid out based on our input. Please let us know any feedback that you may have.
We are going with Marvin Integrity windows- mostly white.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8gidG-zgRRrbHpuOXpueF9fZ3M&usp=sharing

Thank you for your time and feedback.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Plans

This post was edited by maz1234 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 10:35

Comments (5)

• Nick
    9 years ago

First of all, I really like what youâÂÂve got going. I love the central great room, the light coming in from all sides of the house, and that great staircase arrangement. Also love the prairie exterior- the entire house comes together really nicely. Just a couple quick comments:

1. The foyer might be a little too deep, maybe take a foot or two away from the entry and give it to the great room. The fireplace isnâÂÂt exactly centered with the island behind it- not sure if this is on purpose or not. IâÂÂd also consider a half wall below the fireplace, in the great room opening closest the fridge. This way you could keep it open but still have a space for an armchair. On the other side, you could have additional counter space that would be a nice spot to drop off mail, electronics, purses, etc.
    2. The door from the great room to the terrace is going to mess up a lot of potential furniture arrangements. IâÂÂd forget it and just do a wall of windows.
    3. Flip the powder room bath so the door is closer to the study door. As you have it now, the toilet can be seen from the great room and even the foyer.
    4. Put a high window in the bath off bedroom four.
    5. IâÂÂd probably just do a single door from the study to the terrace and have a high window on the opposite wall.
    6. The mudroom area is not really functional, IâÂÂd line up the door to the garage to the doorway. Take a foot away from the pantry and add another coat closet and leave the area under the window for a bench or whatever you plan on using it for. If you anticipate this being a messy area, definitely put a pocket door in to separate it from the stair hall.
    7. Do you plan on having a counter depth fridge? If not, that fridge will stick out another foot beyond the counter. Consider doing the pantry door in a frosted/pebbled glass to give it a bit of symmetry with the window over the sink.
    8. Staircase: if the window area is cut out, could you not do full length windows to make the front elevation symmetrical as well? Having the brick on the front at various heights is choppy, and it would look much better to have it at one height all the way around.
    9. Second floor IâÂÂm not as in love with. Master suite is an odd arrangement. Ditch the double doors and have built ins in the hall on either side of the fireplace. Consider a frosted glass door here too⦠let a bit of light from the stairwell into the master hallway.

1. Master toilet room door should be reversed, opening outwards.
    2. IâÂÂd take one of the windows out of the triple master bay and put it as a high window on either of the other walls⦠light from two sides is better than just one direction of light.
    3. Is that dashed wall on the side of the childrenâÂÂs retreat an open railing? It should be, to give views to that picture window light well.
      Once again, love the unique layout and that you have to opportunity to have light coming in from at least two...
  • r2d2indy r2d2indy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nick,
    Thank you for your detailed feedback and also appreciating what we have going in the total package. We really needed some fresh perspective on the layout and someone to point out anything that we missed.
    1. >>We will ask our architect regarding the lobby size reduction, if this can be done with less structural change. Although the half wall idea sounds great-- just thinking if it will make it asymmetric.

2. >>Yes, this was suggested by several people, but my spouse was adamant-- he likes to bring in outdoors inside.
    3.>>Yes, agreed-- will do that . Thanks.
    4. >>Really another window.. :-). We will try our best. Also we like symmetry from outside too.. will have to see how it affect the left elevation.
    5. >>Again my spouse likes the idea of a courtyard hence the whole concept of doors came about.

6.>>We thought of ease of moving /walking with groceries from the car when deciding that. Let see how this works.
    7. >>This was a total miss, thanks for bringing it up,we will reconsider.
    8.>>Ok, thinking. I have been thinking of the raised height of the brick myself. Let me ask the architect.
    9. >>We dont like the double doors either.. will see what can be done.

1. >>Ok.. agreed
    2. >>ok agreed as long as the right elevation doesnt mess up.
    3. >>It is a low wall -- it could be railing??

>>Thank you- Yes, lots of windows, natural light and having a very inviting home was out goal. I will keep this board posted.

• bpath
    9 years ago

I love courtyards and lots of light, too! I also like to get to my closet easily. I think your closet is a long convoluted walk if you want to grab a sweater. I also think you might bang a shin on the corner of the tub getting to the commode or the closet. Could you shift the water elements to the left-hand side, and the closet to the right?

How do plan to arrange the furniture in the great room? Will you watch tv in there? It looks like the tv will be above the fireplace, is that right? Or will it be on the right-hand wall?

• r2d2indy r2d2indy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was an alternative suggestion to making the great room back wall instead of french doors --these windows, does this work? It saves us about $4000, but not sure if it will achieve the expanse.

Can you let us know, what do you think

Nicke: We almost took all your ideas to the architect and had them incorporated for a small sum.

Thanks.

• dprae
    9 years ago

I quite like your exterior - do you have any photos or similar houses or where you got the inspiration from?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz