Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

I have become a monster of suspicion

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Oh my goodness, I had no idea just how much babysitting would need to be done. Have caught some MAJOR mistakes that need to be addressed (and to my builder's great credit, are being dealt with without much consternation). However...now I have crisis goggles permanently attached to my head...

Me: "I've never seen nails like that. What are those made of? Is that Uranium?! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

GC: *ahem* "Kiwi, those are hot dipped galvanized."

Me: "Oh, right. Of course. Carry on."

Nothing like tipping from due diligence to crazed tin-hatter.

Comments (18)

• renovator8
    9 years ago

There are people who make a living providing quality control and assurance to homeowners. What can be saved by not taking advantage of such services might not be a good value for some homeowners.

My days are filled with these kinds of issues but rarely does the project owner get involved unless a change order is required.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just know I'm walking into an embarrassing answer with this question, but here goes anyway... What are those quality control people called- say if I wanted to hire one and restore my sanity?

• worthy
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, buyers of a house I was building knew where I lived. So more than once they came knocking on my front door in panic that something was going horribly wrong at "their" house. (It was a sale from my plans on my lot.) Even when the project manager was on-site and could have allayed their fears. I'd then rush over and inevitably find it was nothing at all.

Now, if they had only known some of the mistakes we did catch!

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

A high quality builder generally doesn't need much oversight if they are working from complete and properly detailed construction documents provided by your architect. Key words being ''properly detailed construction documents''. Your arcihitect also can be your onsite advocate if you wish to opt for full service from him A construction project manager could possibly consult, but it would also possibly blur the lines of final responsibility. None of those approaches are cheap, but all are much cheaper than rectifying mistakes and dealing with allowance overruns.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Me: "I've never seen nails like that. What are those made of? Is that Uranium?! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LMAO coffee exiting nose at high speed. Thanks for the laugh.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

There are some home inspectors who are willing to monitor quality during construction but the people who routinely provide that service from the beginning to the end of a project are architects.

I have probably spent a quarter of my professional life resolving construction problems that, in a perfect world, would never have occurred. I spent 2 hours doing it today and expect to be doing it again tomorrow.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Swentastic- LOL! I mean, shame on you. It's not nice to laugh at the psychosis of others- unless it's Gary Busey and he's getting paid. Come to think of it, if we made of movie of the building of our house, Gary Busey in drag could work for the role of me. Hmm...

Reno8, I may just hire an inspector. Would be money well spent.

Worthy, to defend my neurosis just a little I didn't have the crisis goggles until I caught some major problems- which my architect hadn't noticed (what?!!)- that needed to be fixed. Stuff like a mis-measured floor joist causing our entire staircase to be held up by a piece of flooring underlayment. Now, they are cheerfully (well kinda cheerfully) fixing everything, so all's well that end's well. But now I'm paranoid!

If you know you're crazy, you're not really crazy- right? Right?

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

If you're not already crazy, you are well on your way to giving yourself that opportunity.

Yours is a house under construction, and I assume everyone (except perhaps you--I could be wrong) has done this many times before. Have a meeting and discussion with your builder and architect (do you have one?) about your concerns, and then let them do their jobs, while holding them accountable.

The problem with hiring a third-party project manager or inspector is their role and authority--do they represent you and have the authority to direct the work of the builder (and/or architect)? Or are they just another set of eyes that reports to...whom?

You need to decide: 1) in whom you have confidence and trust; 2) just how "serious" are issues like galvanized nails; 3) do you need to take a vacation while construction is going on.

If you can't decide any of these, you may indeed be certifiable :-)

Seriously, good luck on your project!

• worthy
    9 years ago

Prior to one of my surgeries, in the seconds after the anaesthesiologist administered something to "relax" me and as I adjusted myself to the narrow operating table I thought to advise him to strap me down so I didn't fall off. But I bit my lip. Otherwise, who knows, I might not have awakened a few hours later. Now, architects and builders, different matter entirely!

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Oh Kiwi I wasn't laughing AT you, just with you - this is definitely something I can relate to. If I were building a house from scratch they'd have to lock me up in a padded room in the basement until it was done. And when they let me out, I'd complain about the quality of the padding and that my straight jacket wasn't the color or brand I had specified! I feel your pain, I really do. It'll all be worth it when you're walking around your gorgeous house that is EXACTLY what you wanted. No regrets. I hope the stress eases for you soon! If nothing else, a quality benzo and some red wine ought to do the trick ;)

"If you know you're crazy, you're not really crazy- right? Right? " I should have this tattooed across my forehead!

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Swen- I was totally kidding with you! How is your build going?

• patriceny
    9 years ago

Kiwigem - you gave me a good giggle too. I love your writing style.

I went into my new build thinking I was a calm, rational, sane person.

I came out the other side a changed woman. ;) The problem is that the average person isn't very smart. We have some amazing talent on this board, and occasionally in real life I've run into some awesome people in the construction industry too. But unfortunately people are....well, people, which means there are good and bad apples in the bunch.

Good luck. I highly recommend wine for its soothing properties. :)

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

EDIT: I have become a monster of wine.

• kayakboy
    9 years ago

Builders screw up. Subs screw up.

Sometime they fix it without prompting, sometimes they don't.

Trust but verify!

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Well said, Kayakboy :)

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very well said, indeed! Will do. And try to fit in some drinks in the meantime. It's getting to be bourbon weather, after all. :-) Thanks for kindly listening to my sniveling.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

"The problem with hiring a third-party project manager or inspector is their role and authority--do they represent you and have the authority to direct the work of the builder (and/or architect)? Or are they just another set of eyes that reports to...whom? "

to the homeowner who hires them for their unbiased independent verification. while they can't stop the job,
    they can alert the homeowner ...who can stop the job...
    until modifications & corrections are made.

building inspectors shut down jobs when conditions are
    unsafe.as that is the goal of codes.
    if the homeowner wants verification of what is beyond
    the minimum allowed by law, then he/she needs eyes
    that have his/her investment at the forefront of the inspections.

after all...if builder does his own inspection..its all good.
    we need independent unbiased inspections to level the
    playing field for the homeowner.

best of luck.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you energy_rater_la. We may do this in the future so I can relax a little and not have to be the bad guy.