Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Board and batten vs. shake siding- opinions needed

Posted by livingreen2013 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 10:03

Hey everyone! We were wondering if you could give us some feedback for our exterior finishes. We have only option #1 drawn:
Option #1- Board and batten on the sides, back and peaks of the house. Shake siding on the back sunroom and on the body of the front of the house. Stone on the columns, front and middle bump-out, and front of the garage.

Option #2- Board and batten on the majority of house, shake siding on the sunroom and in the peaks, and stone where it is drawn.

What do you think about the look of the board and batten on the front? What do you think would look best with the house? We also plan on doing an "x" design with the porch spindles. Thank you all for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Board and batten vs. shake siding- opinions needed

I love both board & batten as well as shakes. I tend to not like a lot of shakes unless the house is shingle style. Around here it is pretty common to have shakes on the part that is bumped out, like an accent. I guess I like option 2 the best, as long as it won't look to busy.

Here a photo of a house that has board &batten, stone and shakes. I like this one a lot.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Hm. Well, I do like your initial drawing more (but I am no expert on exteriors)... I find the shaked peaks to be too heavy because they are usually natural or darker stained cedar.

Will you paint your shakes? That would make a difference in my final answer.

o

Yes, we do plan on painting the shake the same color as the rest of the body (a gray/green/blue if you can picture that, with white trim). Thanks for the thoughts so far and for that photo olivesmom! That house is beautiful!

o

Does that change your thoughts at all kirkhall? Any other opinions or ideas anyone? Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here